Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Roch

P3D INSTALLATION: questions and issues

Please use this sticky for all P3D installation questions and issues.Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello, I am considering installing it on the monthly plan but I want to make sure I don't mess up FSX in the process. 1. Can it be on the same drive as FSX or a separate drive? I have a dedicated FSX drive and availability on my c drive. If it is on my c drive, what is the best place for it. 2. How big is the installation? Any additional info on your actual experience using P3D is appreciated including FSX add on compatibility (I'm really interested in FSX ADE files and Traffic bgl's).

Base install is about 17Gb, from an initial download that is about 10.5Gb. It will happily sit on the same drive as FSX with no issues whatsoever. So far I've tried a few FSX add-ons in it. Some install directly using the FSX installer if you point it at the P3D folder, others don't like that but can be manually placed in there. Ones I've tried... DodoSim Bell 206 JetRanger - installs straight in with no problem UK2000 Liverpool Extreme - installs straight in with no problem UK2000 Manchester Extreme - installs straight in with no problem UK2000 VFR Airports Volume 3 - installs straight in with no problem Just Flight VFR Photorealistic UK Scenery Vols 1 through 4 - can be installed by pointing the scenery library in P3D to FSX library when it is installed in FSX A2A Wings of Power 2 AccuSim B-17G Flying Fortress - has to be manually copied over from an FSX install, but works OK in P3D, including all the AccuSim features. REX - installs straight in with no problem, the weather engine works too and can download real world weather into P3D and the cloud and airport textures work just fine. Al

REX - installs straight in with no problem, the weather engine works too and can download real world weather into P3D and the cloud and airport textures work just fine. Al
Al - what do you set Prepar3D's weather as when using the REX weather engine?

I just left it as it was, on the default, and then I cranked up the REX weather engine. When the Flight loaded in P3D, the REX message rolled across the top of the screen (saying it was loading into FSX, even though it was actually loading into P3D). When I checked in the weather setting in P3D, it was on the user defined setting, but REX was updating the weather as I flew about. So the short answer is, I didn't actually touch the weather settings inP3D, I simply let the REX weather engine override it. Al

I'm veeeeery interested in Prepar3D as some voices say that it is better looking, faster and more stable than FSX.And it get developed!!! Some questions I have; hope somebody could answer the one or the other 1) what about the water? Are these real waves now? Not just a flat surface like FSX?Is the water influenced from weather? 2) I've seen some pics with fantastic clouds.Are they complete reworked ... could someone post please a few more pictures with mountains sourrounded by clouds, thunderstorms etc 3) Any experience with MyTrafficX or other AI Traffic?How is the default AI Traffic in prepar3d? 4) do Addons which have problems with FSX DX10 mode also have problems with Prepar3d?Namely most of the Aerosoft sceneries... 5) what is the default mesh delivered with Prepar3d? do we need also mesh addons like FSglobal? 6) I would be glad about every picture of prepar3d!!! 7) what are the differences in the folder structure FSX/prepar3d? does it have sth like a fsx.cfg, an addon folder, etc. Are there many differences in aircraft.cfgs etc etc? sorry for the bunch of questions; answers are much appreciated.Would change to prepar3d as soon as possible, but I'm also a heavy FSUIPC user, so things like LINDA and my MCP Combo should also work surely, before I change. FSUIPC should be fitted for v1.2 in november, Pete said... thanks

Thanks and will give this a try tonight. BTW, the Lotus l-39 works great in Prepar3D too.

GUYS! Please use the correct pinned topics for compatibility questions!Thx.

No problem Chris ;-)As long as we have a single forum for this new baby we'll try to keep it clean and useful.

No problem Chris ;-)As long as we have a single forum for this new baby we'll try to keep it clean and useful.
I agree.

Not sure this is the right subforum...but here goes: Version 1.2 installed and all seems fine except for my throttle...something is constraining its full range such that I can't fully put it to idle nor can I firewall it. I have a CH Products Throttle Pro. I've checked a lot so far -- calibration in CH's Control Manager, FSX and P3D all show that the throttle's full range is working. I've checked for conflicts in the Controls axis assignment pages --no conflicts. But sitting in my A2A Piper, I can't get the throttle to idle nor go to full power. Interestingly, I can achieve that through the default key presses for IDLE and Full Power. I probably need to uninstall CH Control Manager and try direct assignment fo the controllers' axes to see if that helps...but I rely on Control Manager for FSX too much! Any ideas are welcome, thanks.

PROBLEM SOLVED: I simply opened the menu bar and selected OPTIONS - SETTINGS - CONTROLS and set the throttle's sensitivity all the way to the right (to value 127). I also set the throttle's null zone all the way to the left (value 1). I now have the full range of the throttle available to me.

Another joystick issue : everytime I close a menu, all the axises of my X52 + Saitek rudder loose their centering. A soon as I move them, they re-center. Anyone ?

Hi Guys, Feel free to post any bugs or issues in the Prepar3D support forum as well.... (that is what it is for) we will do our best with the time that we have to get in there and answer questions and try to help out. No guarantees that we can assist in a timely fashion as we are honestly very busy, but we will do what we can. There is a known issue with multiple controls with a suggested fix here:http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=422 John NicolPrepar3D

Thanks John, I'll try copying the standard.xml from FSX into Prepar3D tonight.

I seem to be having a hell of a time even downloading the files. I finally managed to get the 1st by using FDM (free download manager), but the other two just refuse to download with either that, Firefox or ChromeYawn.gif Just sits there saying; 'connecting', but never does. Any ideas? EDIT: They've finally started to download but, Ohhhhhhh So sloooooow.....

Just bought, download is 90 kb/sek, seriously guys the program will finish downloading when my subscription end oct 28.

I don't know what ya'll problem is. I got it inside of 1,5hrs, FlashGot got it very fast, around 1,5mbit was in the beginning.

I don't know what ya'll problem is. I got it inside of 1,5hrs, FlashGot got it very fast, around 1,5mbit was in the beginning.
I'm also using Flashgot, only at 5.6Kb.sec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EDIT: just tested some other downloads with Flashget and FDM. They work at over 880kb/s Insane for a payware site!

I'm also using Flashgot, only at 5.6Kb.sec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a better ISP! Big%20Grin.gif