Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

P3D First impressions ?

Hey guys I have been very interrested in picking up P3D, and was wondering how much of an improvement in performance the 1.2 update gives. The website says the rendering engine has been optimized for the update. Thanks

was wondering how much of an improvement in performance the 1.2 update gives. The website says the rendering engine has been optimized for the update.
+1 Can anyone compare FSX to P3D in a variety of scenarios? eg Fresh install, Fresh install + 737NGX etc

Matthew S

Just got Prepar3d last night: All I can say is that I am greatly impressed. LM has really improved on some features and I quite confident in the overall direction this simulation has. -Terrain and autogen are more or less the same.-The water effects are incredible!-LOVE to new user interface; it is much more professional and less "kiddy".-The new multiplayer is also much better. Very clean and easy to use interface to select an aircaft, select an airport, and get flying!-FPS performance is considerably better and the whole sim runs better and smoother than FSX.-Prepar3d also seems to somehow improved the antialiasing.... Not sure if this is true or not.-The ground textures are also much crisper than FSX. Important Note - Bojote(******* Altuve) tweaks wore perfectly with Prepar3d. I ran my Prepar3d.CFG through his online tweak tool for FSX. So far I have not used any addons yet.... I will have to try them tomorrow. I personally feel that Prepar3d is the next breath of life for the flight simulation community.- This has seems to have much greater potential than MS Flight....

After using Prepar3d for about 2 weeks now, I also am also impressed with it. I dont see any increase in frame rates between it and FSX, but both run smooth for me. I will say the autogen looks better in Prepar3d and I love the interface. However, I dont like the fact that it boots right into the default flight. When your first install it, you get the initial impression its a lot faster than FSX,(Default FSX runs just as fast) but once you pile on the addons, its about the same in regards to performance. There are some addons like Ultimate Traffic 2, FSX Orbx scenery and FSDT scenery that will keep me using FSX since the dont seem to work with prepar3d. Also FSX look better to me when using the enb mod along with Shade, both of which dont seem to work with Prepar3d at he momment. Its somthing to keep your eyes on, but it does not replace FSX just yet at least not for me. But worth trying out for yourself at $9 a month , its not a bad deal.Rob

"addons like Ultimate Traffic 2, FSX Orbx scenery and FSDT scenery " well that's not good and a game stoppper for me, to bad.

Rich Sennett

Orbx Addons will work fine once we port them across. We will be porting all our products to P3D and offering crossgrade licenses. In the meantime, check our website to download a free demo of our Pacific Northwest region plus KHQM Bowerman Airport. I posted more info in the compatibility section here - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/349665-fsxp3d-sceneries-compatibility-questions-and-issues/page__view__findpost__p__2120055

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Hi John: Thanks for the reply, one thing that scares me is if i load pd3 will it mess up my fsx install another user as you remember messed up his ftx install in fsx after trying pd3, also it looks like we would have to make a choice as to which platform we would want to purchase an addon for, not to mention all the pain its takes to get fsx running right whos to say this is not a hole new can of worms and much learning and tweaking as we all know we spend more time getting fsx to run right than flying ? Thanks Buddy.

Rich Sennett

Hi John: Thanks for the reply, one thing that scares me is if i load pd3 will it mess up my fsx install another user as you remember messed up his ftx install in fsx after trying pd3, also it looks like we would have to make a choice as to which platform we would want to purchase an addon for, not to mention all the pain its takes to get fsx running right whos to say this is not a hole new can of worms and much learning and tweaking as we all know we spend more time getting fsx to run right than flying ? Thanks Buddy.
P3D and FSX are seperate, side-by-side installations on your PC. The only thing you need to do with regard to our FTX Central shortcut if it is still on your Windows Desktop, is to rename it to "FTX Central for FSX" before installing our P3D PNW Demo. That will avoid the FTX Central shortcut being overwritten with the new one for P3D.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Thanks Buddy appreciate your help and hard work, great Company Orbx is. im Not Worthy.gif

Rich Sennett

-Terrain and autogen are more or less the same.
Hi Ben and Rob, I wonder if either of you could comment a little further on the autogen. Does the autogen still pop up like in FSX or does it fade in gradually as you approach (I think it's referred to as alpha blending)? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Aces was planning on fixing the pop-up autogen before the plug was pulled. Thanks,Dave

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

So far I like P3D.....I won't cross over from FSX to P3D completely however I see P3D being the prefered platform for Commercial Aviation flying. If I can get Captain Sim and PMDG planes working in P3D I will use this primarily for my Commercial flying. I would continue to use FSX for General Aviation flying with ORBX, REX and all my other FSX goodies. With Commercial Aviation you don't really need to look out the windows as your primary focus is on Flight Management, therefore running ORBX and REX in P3D would not be a priority for me. The P3D scenery is good enough for global flights and the platform more stable then FSX. So this is the direction I would like to go with P3D if with commercial airliner flights. Cheers

Matthew Kane

We find most of our commercial customers are helicopter operators/trainers, who very much care what they see from 0-500AGL

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Hi Ben and Rob, I wonder if either of you could comment a little further on the autogen. Does the autogen still pop up like in FSX or does it fade in gradually as you approach (I think it's referred to as alpha blending)? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Aces was planning on fixing the pop-up autogen before the plug was pulled. Thanks,Dave
The autogen works pretty much the same as in FSX ie: they still pop-up (at least for me). However, The default buldings looked like they got reworked and look better (higher res?) than the default FSX autogen, but not as good as Orbx custom autogen. (Then again, Its impossible to beat Orbx Buildings)

The autogen works pretty much the same as in FSX ie: they still pop-up (at least for me). However, The default buldings looked like they got reworked and look better (higher res?) than the default FSX autogen, but not as good as Orbx custom autogen. (Then again, Its impossible to beat Orbx Buildings)
Thanks Rob. The autogen pop-ups are one of my main FSX pet peeves that I had hoped had been improved upon.

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

So far I have used P3D and the ORBX PNW Demo Scenery and I also have FSX and the PNW Scenery....To compare the scenery looks the same. The difference between the two is P3D uses different water, clouds and atmospheric effects. I actually like the Water and Weather effects in P3D as that is a big improvement, NIght Lighting is better in P3D so overall P3D dresses up ORBX scenery a lot better then FSX. Performance wise I find P3D a much more stable platform however I have not compared flying with the same aircraft in P3D and FSX yet....I've only flown the default LM Connie and the LM Lightning in P3D so far, but I will say the LM Lightning was performing around 30 fps over Bowerman Airport and the town of Hoquim with the ORBX PNW Demo Scenery. and all sliders maxed but Autogen set at Dense. So far I really like what I see.....the user interfaces are far more professional then the FSX menus as well and overall a refreshing change Cheers

Matthew Kane