Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

P3D SCREENSHOTS

Sorry Bert didn't wanna offend you and the community. Dind't know saving flight and loading in another simulator, the clouds are placed in the same position. By the way thank for the comparation

Edoardo Paulicelli

fsxnz1yr0.jpg

My fsx runs on: CPU:Corei7950@4.1Ghz (196*21) Mobo:Asus P6tDeluxeV2 RAM:Corsair 12Gb Video:Nvidia 580 GTX HDD:2 WD 130Gb + 1 Seagate barracuda 500Gb

Some pictures at dusk of the A2A Simulations Piper Cub at Bowerman,[KHQM]. Notice how much better the lighting is compared to FSX. This is default P3D, NO REX.

So i just wanted to show you guys the NGX at FSDT KLAX. Both work perfectly but seems as if I'm going to have to tweak my settings a little because FPS is killing me right now. mkaccy.jpg

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

Got the Aerosoft f-16 to work. Took this screen shot over Davis-Bessi power station. Port cinton, Ohio.f16db.jpg
That scenery is awful
That scenery is awful. Is that default? No display settings made etc

I donnot understand what is Prepar3d, it is a simulator?I must do some more reading.
Yeah, you gotta do some reading LOL.gifIt's basically FSX, and ESP project sold to Lockheed Martin to sell commercially. So they've taken it, made couple of improvements.Still has some serious bugs, but they are making nice advancements. Since the last update many problems, including Simconnect problem, controller problem if you have two of the same type and some other bugs with weather. They have been acknowledged and hope they are gonna push them out.They also said they are developing for DX11. Let's see...It's NOT a 100% more FPS than FSX, but it gives couple of percents more, somewhat 20%...Smoother or not? I couldn't detect any more smoothness, if anything, less, unfortunately (for me at least).Also not all FSX addons are working with it, stuff has to be installed manually since installers often don't recognize folders etc.But in the end, with a lot of work and sweat, you can make it work like FSX, or almost like FSX, with (maybe) a bit more FPS and/or smoothness.

Nice screeshots! When I'll have a proper rig I will probably go for P3D. I still have 3 questions in my mind though:1) I heard that LM is working to make P3D x64 based. Is it true and possible?2) Is P3D less CPU oriented and more GPU and RAM oriented? Or is it still like FSX?3) What are the flight dynamics like? I mean physic and reaction of the aircraft.

Hi GordonGekko, and welcome to the Prepar3D forum.L.M. Understands that there is a desire to make P3D X64 based, and in time will likely have to make that progression. They have stated that it is possible but it will be a major undertaking. It will break backward compatibility with everything which will also pose challenges. For now it seems the P3D X64 based platform is a future roadmap issue. When the user-base exists, and third party developers are involved, it will allow for smoother transition so material can be converted or created anew to avoid having a platform with no content. I believe that developing this base is the current focus before a conversion is feasible.Prepar3D is still primarily CPU based, however much has been done with the code to improve it's use of the CPU. Memory management issues have seen noticeable gains and there are numerous other issues that have improved how the platform functions with hardware. Although Prepar3D shares the genetics of FSX, it is definitely the smarter more successful twin, in my view.The Dev Team has spent much time making improvements in many area's of the platform over FSX. Not all the improvements are published, usually just the more user noticeable ones. I have been working on a aircraft that works in both FSX and Prepar3D. I have been spending much time particularly in the aerodynamic modeling of the aircraft at this point. I am running and testing the aircraft in Prepar3D to make it native, but occasionally test it in FSX. From my tests I perceive a difference in performance and flight characteristics. The aircraft thus far has been using real world values that have been working very well in Prepar3D, but not yielding identical results in FSX. Others who know certain aircraft intimately have also claimed that aircraft are performing more accurately in Prepar3D vs FSX. It may be a "placebo" effect, or it is possible something in the simulation environment has been tweaked or improved to create these results either intentionally or serendipitously. It's also important to keep in mind that flight dynamic performance of any given aircraft is only as good as the data that has been entered. A poorly modeled aircraft for FSX will perform just as badly in Prepar3D. Currently, there are only a hand full of developers that are putting such effort into their products. The vast majority of aircraft produced for FSX have poorly done flight dynamics, mostly due to lack of knowledge of aerodynamics or more importantly lack of detailed information on certain critical parameters needed to create it. Their intended target markets also play a large roll in the "realistic flight dynamics" department.Hope this helps toward your questions.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

Thank you for your great answer. P3D is gonna be the future for sure, and I feel like that X-Plane, too, will still grow.

people just need to save longer to afford it. But, if you're a hardcore simmer you will find a way. I'm sooooo tired of stability issues with FSX and hope P3D will break this feeling apart. if stability is all we really see for now then my 5 hours ++ flights will be that much better. You all (or most of you) will have experienced a really great flight with say NGX and then when hitting the tarmac or shutting engines down the thing crashes. If you don't have a solid foundation why build on it??i really get quite excited that there is actually a team to be working on the engine and John from Lockheed has been very transparent about this (he must be a kiwi ;-P). With FSX we looked to a new platform (which didn't work out the way we all wanted). So, bring on the new Gen Simulator. Humans don't like change but that's because we can't see what lies ahead, BUT, this should create some sense of relief for most knowing changes in this case will reap great things inside the Simulator, beyond what we have come to expect, or at least meet our expectations.Food for thought!Kelvin

Hi Kelvin,Funny that you mention the stability issue. That was the primary "buzz kill", I think is the new catch phrase of the day, that had me part ways with FSX. Of all the high quality and pricey add-on's that I have and more that are available and growing all the time, I got tired of them being of no use, because I can not keep FSX running reliably. The PMDG NGX was the final straw. Even with the help of PMDG support, it really came down to FSX having the mystery gremlin. I too, have suffered the fate as you of terminating or in progress of a long flight only to have the "Microsoft Flight Simulator has encountered a problem" message. The blood pressure does rise. I have gotten so used to flying on edge of the system failing that I have lost they enjoyment of the simulation experience and value. I'm always waiting for it and expecting it, and rarely does it fail to deliver. After using Prepar3D for 37 hours of flight, I have had no such occurrence and I'm just starting to trust it. I now access menu's, move in and out of windowed mode and do things I would never dare do in FSX, without bringing the system down. I have tried, and so far have not succeeded. It takes some getting used to not treating the platform like delicate crystal. If Prepar3D is this solid now in all the key area's how much more so with future efforts by the team.The $9.95 monthly subscription makes it very affordable in my opinion. I certainly don't mind it if I'm getting value for my money, and in the case of Prepar3D I believe I am. I think about what $10 dollars buys me today and frankly I think I'm getting value for my dollar. I will gladly support a product where there is an effort to provide continuing support, and I am willing to pay for that privilege. I believe the one off purchase is flawed in this way. The money goes to cover what has been done, but does little to cover what needs doing. Flight simulations are constantly moving forward as is hardware and drivers. It takes a lot of peoples time and thus resources to stay on top of it, and at this juncture of the franchise, I believe the current model will be of the most benefit to the end user and the most successful. When I see the people behind the development team and their efforts, I feel my money is going in the right direction, and do not regret a dime spent. Hopefully others in the future will also feel the same way. Time and experience will in the end decide I suppose.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

Hi Kelvin,Funny that you mention the stability issue. That was the primary "buzz kill", I think is the new catch phrase of the day, that had me part ways with FSX. Of all the high quality and pricey add-on's that I have and more that are available and growing all the time, I got tired of them being of no use, because I can not keep FSX running reliably. The PMDG NGX was the final straw. Even with the help of PMDG support, it really came down to FSX having the mystery gremlin. I too, have suffered the fate as you of terminating or in progress of a long flight only to have the "Microsoft Flight Simulator has encountered a problem" message. The blood pressure does rise. I have gotten so used to flying on edge of the system failing that I have lost they enjoyment of the simulation experience and value. I'm always waiting for it and expecting it, and rarely does it fail to deliver. After using Prepar3D for 37 hours of flight, I have had no such occurrence and I'm just starting to trust it. I now access menu's, move in and out of windowed mode and do things I would never dare do in FSX, without bringing the system down. I have tried, and so far have not succeeded. It takes some getting used to not treating the platform like delicate crystal. If Prepar3D is this solid now in all the key area's how much more so with future efforts by the team.The $9.95 monthly subscription makes it very affordable in my opinion. I certainly don't mind it if I'm getting value for my money, and in the case of Prepar3D I believe I am. I think about what $10 dollars buys me today and frankly I think I'm getting value for my dollar. I will gladly support a product where there is an effort to provide continuing support, and I am willing to pay for that privilege. I believe the one off purchase is flawed in this way. The money goes to cover what has been done, but does little to cover what needs doing. Flight simulations are constantly moving forward as is hardware and drivers. It takes a lot of peoples time and thus resources to stay on top of it, and at this juncture of the franchise, I believe the current model will be of the most benefit to the end user and the most successful. When I see the people behind the development team and their efforts, I feel my money is going in the right direction, and do not regret a dime spent. Hopefully others in the future will also feel the same way. Time and experience will in the end decide I suppose.
I'm glad to hear about what a remarkable difference P3D has over FSX stability wise. It is every developers mission to iron out bugs which Microsoft stopped due to loosing the ACES team. As a budding private pilot I think I am going to appreciate the stability as when in the air (in real life) you don't get thrown back to the desktop, just a little around the cockpit due to a little cloud turbulence.Thanks for you comment, I hope more people can get the courage (and trust) to move to a more stable platform so we can all get on with training/simming.Cheers