Sign in to follow this  
Mike S KPDX

Unable to enter cruise waypoint winds...

I have searched the forum and accessed the FCOM's, however I dont think they apply to my problem. FCOMv1, page 249 states the procedure; Estimated Wind Entries for Cruise WaypointsRTE LEGS page..................................Select Observe the DATA prompt displayed.RTE DATA page..................................Select Enter the estimated true wind direction/speed on the appropriate line(s). My problem is that I can only enter the wind data for the current waypoint and none of the others. Not only are the prompt lines on the right side of the CDU blank (I mean truly nothing there, just black), but it will not accept any brg/speed info (yes, I did it in the correct format). This was attempted after I reached cruise alt I did not enter CRZ WIND on the PERF INIT page during FMC setup (or at anytime) as per FCOMv2 page 943. Do you think this has to be done to 'pre-populate' the RTE DATA pages first and THEN you can go access it for each way point mod? thanks for your comments

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Those waypoints may be after top of descent. Descent winds can be entered on the descent forecast page.

Those waypoints may be after top of descent. Descent winds can be entered on the descent forecast page.
Tom, any chance of a quick tutorial on inputting winds aloft (& decent winds) data once you have finished your cold & dark tutorial? :( It would be really useful, say using ASE as the weather source. Just a thought, your tutorial, are awesome :(

Ed Haslam

Tom, any chance of a quick tutorial on inputting winds aloft (& decent winds) data once you have finished your cold & dark tutorial? wink.png It would be really useful, say using ASE as the weather source. Just a thought, your tutorial, are awesome smile.png
I second that

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

As noted above in this airplane you can only enter winds for CRZ type waypoints i.e. between ToC and ToD. Climb/descend waypoint wind/temperature data are obtained through an interpolation scheme from entries in the PRF INIT and FORECAST page respectively and "mixed" with actual wind data (this is a rather complicated model search for relevant posts I remember I wrote something about it). Mixing also occurs for the CRZ phase while flying where active conditions are combined with entered data through a certain mathematical model.

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

I took notice of this tonight after reading this thread.KSFO PORTE3 AVE SADDE6 KLAXI noticed that AVE was populated with winds, although incorrect according to ASE, I wonder where it got this from???It was the only waypoint I could enter winds for too, although there were several waypoints more between TOC and TOD?

KSFO PORTE3 AVE SADDE6 KLAX I noticed that AVE was populated with winds, although incorrect according to ASE, I wonder where it got this from??? It was the only waypoint I could enter winds for too, although there were several waypoints more between TOC and TOD?
I tried your route. After climbing to FL300 I was able to enter winds for waypoints WAGES, AVE, and DERBB, which was exactly the three waypoints between T/C and T/D. If you enter a CRZ wind on the PERF INIT page that will propagate to the cruise waypoints. Maybe that was the source of the wind entry you saw at AVE?

I tried your route. After climbing to FL300 I was able to enter winds for waypoints WAGES, AVE, and DERBB, which was exactly the three waypoints between T/C and T/D.
yea, I tried entering the winds for those three during cockpit set up, which makes more sense to me, and let it go at cruise since it's only about 20 minutes up there. I'll look at this next time.
If you enter a CRZ wind on the PERF INIT page that will propagate to the cruise waypoints. Maybe that was the source of the wind entry you saw at AVE?
That makes very good sense actually. Which now makes me wonder about that input from ASE which is interpolated winds for the entire trip.

I think my orginal question got a bit hijacked ... 'Those waypoints may be after top of descent. Descent winds can be entered on the descent forecast page'.understood, however the waypoints I was referring to were cruise waypoints (well between TOC and TOD) 'As noted above in this airplane you can only enter winds for CRZ type waypoints i.e. between ToC and ToD.'again, noted - but that is the crux of my question, I simply can not and this is a repeatable conditon any other thoughts? thanks again.

anyone??

anyone??
Try posting a screenshot of the CDU RTE DATA page showing the problem, and the same waypoints on the CDU LEGS page. At what point are you trying to enter the winds? On the ground or in the air?