Sign in to follow this  
Marcfourneau

What's up with the Winds

I am flying the737 with REX weather engine. The winds are constantly changing and at times making approaches impossible. Today I was landing at LAX, 24R, when I was facing a 50 kph headwind at low altitude. The winds then shifted and died at 2000 ft which resulted in a stall and crash. I have had this happen at various times at other airports but this was the most severe. I have read about the need for fsuipc with ASE but not with REX. My question is, is this a universal problem, and if so, is the only fix, fsuipc, which I don't own? Is this an issue being patched? Thanks in advance. Marc Fourneau

You could try increasing the time between weather updates

I used to use REX to download the weather into FSX and faced the same problems as you are. I purchased ASE and is only using REX for the weather textures. This solved the problem for me. Also I download weather in ASE according to my flightplan when flying complex airliners like the MD-11 and NGX, this saves a lot of resources on my system when it doesn´t download weather every 15 or 20 min. and doesn´t give me any "surprises" on final smile.png

I was using ASE but was seeing the same severe windshifts. I figured this was because I needed fsuipc as stated in some other posts. Do you use fsuipc with ASE?

The problem with the winds is because of poorly coded FSX and how it models certain weather conditions. I have never used REX for weather but it is known to be inaccurate. HiFi Simulations is the only vendor I know of that has been able provide accurate weather. It is not perfect but is as close as you can get given the limitations. I am not being biased either. If REX worked better for weather then I would recommend it over Activesky. But I use what ever addon provides the most realistic experience and it just happens to be Activesky.

I use REX textures, ASE for the actual weather data, and then have the payware FSUIPC smooth the winds out. That seems to sort it all out. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

REX weather works fine. Just like ASE, combined with a registered FSUIPC, with the proper wind smoothing features activated it works a treat. It's no different, the same FSUIPC requirement. No wind shifts, no S turns.

I no long have FSUIPC installed. I only use ASE with service pack 3, and I rarely get a significant wind shift. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if I've gotten one at all since installing SP3, but that may be my imagination.

Chris Hicks

I use REX textures, ASE for the actual weather data, and then have the payware FSUIPC smooth the winds out. That seems to sort it all out. Al
same here no problems at all with any pmdg aircraft

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

argh There is only one wind. pet hate number one when controlling. pilots who say Rgr copy the winds 300/10kts rwy 30 clear to land. Wycliffe

He is making fun of pilots who say "winds" instead of "wind", like it makes a hill of beans difference.

He is making fun of pilots who say "winds" instead of "wind", like it makes a hill of beans difference.
Oh ok. I hadn't finished my coffee when I read it.

Actually as far as I understand it you aren't supposed to read the wind back to ATC, its not a requirement.

Cheers, Andy.