Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

High Altitude Water

Anyone know why Im getting terrible performance while looking at the Ocean at FL400? I use REX + FSWC and I've also used Bojote's Shader MOD 3 and the water look great but the performance is terrible, I'm using in FSX 2x Low. I've tried several different config for everything and they all yeild terrible performance on my 2500k OCed to 5.0 and a GTX 480, what gives?Cheers

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Thanks Randy

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Actually, it might be easier on your CPU if you have the water full on. I got better FPS performance by the filter not being in place. For fun, try everything at full right except for MESH set to 5M You might be very surprised at the result. I run FSX full bore...except for the MESH at 5M as per ORBX's recommendation for their scenery integration. Also, if you have a Creative sound card....go to their site and finding your specific card...download and install the Sept 12/11 Beta sound driver. It fixes the sound driver/FSX clash that can lead to CTD and animation freeze up. I left a detailed post on it below... Cheers

I tired that, water full right makes about the same performance. This makes no sense too me,m I have a very good computer and its set up perfectly its just the water thats all

Ron Hamilton

I tired that, water full right makes about the same performance. This makes no sense too me,m I have a very good computer and its set up perfectly its just the water thats all
---------------------------------------------------------------- Yes..that's what I meant...that you actually don't lose performance on the water side of things with it at max. It looks great too, with mountains and other objects reflecting back as in real life. :)I don't use any water tweaks...but it looks great. BTW, try the nVidia 270.61 driver as it is the best rendering for a GTX285 card or a level above or below that unit. Also, in nVidia Inspector run an AA of: AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12 and that will give you awesome visuals with little or no FPS impact on a high end machine. ORBX looks as real life from 2,000 feet up with this setting....

Yes Sir, I've been using 64X 4v12 for years! It's by far the best AA mode for FSX bar none, but even with AA disabled I see terriblwe FPS over my water, its very odd.

Ron Hamilton

I remember Tabs (from PMDG) at their forum also witnessed poor performance over water. It might be even written in the introduction flight manual of their 737NGX. It had to do with REX textures. You could try to copy back the default FSX water textures and try again,

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

Thanks I will contact Tabs

Ron Hamilton

I had a similar problem, too. For me it was related to 32-bit textures as with REX's water and clouds and certain nvidia settings. That SUPERVCAA mode would turn that combination from a 40fps beauty into a 4fps slideshow. Definitely try the default textures and various AA mode combinations.

cool thanks man!

Ron Hamilton