Sign in to follow this  
Av-Fan

MDL Radius and AI Traffic

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that AI traffic tends to keep quite a distance from the NGX during taxi, holding in line for takeoff, etc. It's almost as if the model radius is set to some huge number, though this being FSX, maybe some other factor is the cause. In fact, I'm not sure if MDL Radius plays any role in FSX with regards to AI traffic. In any event, it's not a huge problem. It's just weird being in line for takeoff and having the next aircraft stopped about 200 feet behind you. Maybe she just needs a bath? :) Oh, and this doesn't appear to be an AFCAD issue as I've seen it happen at quite a few different airports.

This pic of the 737-800 exterior model in model convertor X may help explain why.

www.antsairplanes.com

This pic of the 737-800 exterior model in model convertor X may help explain why.
I'm not sure how to interpret that pic as I am not familiar with convertor X. Wonder if there is anything they can do about it or if this was done on purpose for some reason.

Hm I just thought about it again, and judging from the size of the planes in your picture I would assume they have to do with the highly customized landing and taxi lights. Although I wouldn't know why the planes are vertical in this picture. sig.gif

This isn't a NGX issue, it happens with all user aircraft. FS2004 had an issue where AI would run into you if you stopped on the taxiway too close. So MS/Aces corrected it in FSX (sort of) but they went the opposite extreme. Now AI will stop football lengths behind you. A lot of times you'll hear ATC issuing hold short instructions to them, when you look back the nearest plane is 2 to 3 taxiway lengths from you.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Did a bit more research this morning. MCX can display which texture is mapped to which polygon and the 3 biggest polygons are mapped to the PMDG_737NGX_Stobe_Flash_Lovis texture. Some of the other vertical polys there are mapped to various other colours such as navred and navgreen and white. As you step through the animation keyframes these polys move all over the place. I assume PMDG cleverly rotates them according to your viewpoint so they are always facing the viewer. As an example, the red highlighted poly in the pic attached shows where texture PMDG_737NGX_white is mapped.

www.antsairplanes.com

Well, obviously the lights polys need stay on ground, but as they are part of the model, there will be some animation going on behind the scenes. Or at least that's how I'd figure it works. sig.gif

Yes Etienne But landing lights use bone animations to adjust the size of the polygons, the higher you go the larger than ground splash will be. The animation of these polygons is the more usually rotate/translate animation. I suspect that MCX doesn't draw bones animation as I've never been able to see the landing light polys in other aircraft mdls I've examined (such as the Lotus L-39 and AirbusX).

www.antsairplanes.com

This isn't a NGX issue, it happens with all user aircraft. FS2004 had an issue where AI would run into you if you stopped on the taxiway too close. So MS/Aces corrected it in FSX (sort of) but they went the opposite extreme. Now AI will stop football lengths behind you. A lot of times you'll hear ATC issuing hold short instructions to them, when you look back the nearest plane is 2 to 3 taxiway lengths from you.
I've only had this issue with the NGX.