Sign in to follow this  
VirginAus737

Windows 8 Installation

Hello, As you may have noticed the Windows 8 developer preview pack has been released. I have downloaded it for my Dell Vostro which is as slow as a snail because of clutter and I thought maybe a new OS could help it. There is nothing on it so its not a big deal if it fails. I partitioned off 30GB for the installation on the main HDD but I cant figure out how to set the directory of the setup. I have the setup on a portable HDD and have tried to install from the desktop but it will just go over the existing XP. Thanks in advance, Andrew p.s. If I need to burn it to disk, what is the best way to burn an .iso file.

Do a fresh install burn iso to cd and run from there.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

But I want to try and keep my existing XP OS. I have to partitions on the one physical drive so i should be able to install a second OS right?

Maybe, and I don't have it, at this point, can't be installed as a side OS, only as to overwrite everything?

Maybe, I am just doing it as an experiment to see if I can get the laptop to run a little faster. If it works it works, if not, I dont care.

Maybe, I am just doing it as an experiment to see if I can get the laptop to run a little faster. If it works it works, if not, I dont care.
Dual boots are a pain in the butt. What are the specs of the computer you're wanting to install to?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You dont want to know. Its a piece of crap and thats why I am doing it. I would never even try it on my gaming machine. I think it has 2GB RAM, a dual core Celeron at 2.0GHz and a 8400M 156mb GPU. It used to run ok but now i hate it. Anyway, I have got Windows 8 on a disk and now I am installing. I will report back on what I think of it.

Well everyone, the installation went through with only a few minor bugs but the outcome is great. It feels just like Windows 7 just the start menu is a little different. I have been able to install nVidia drivers for 7 and Google chrome. I am gonna try and install Office and then I think I have myself a good www browsing and basic machine. Best of all, it is not as slow.

Although a big criticism, it is very touch oriented. I hope in the final release we get a more windows 7 like start menu.

Still got all my XP files there but can't access them. There must be a way to change the boot directory.

Dont worry peoples, I just went into the startup options and set it to go to the boot loader for 30 seconds to choose which OS i want. XP is so slow.