Sign in to follow this  
Ed Kammerman

FSX crashes when I get near the Great Lakes

Hi All, Whenever I fly a route that takes me over the Great Lakes area either FSX crashes or in the case of Captain Sim aircraft the aircraft loses control. For global scenery I'm using FS Global 2010 and for US and Europe UTX. Has anybody else had this issue? I've used Bojote's tweaking tool, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I remember having a similar issue with FS9 but forgot how to fix it. Ed Kammerman

Guest firehawk44
Hi All, Whenever I fly a route that takes me over the Great Lakes area either FSX crashes or in the case of Captain Sim aircraft the aircraft loses control. For global scenery I'm using FS Global 2010 and for US and Europe UTX. Has anybody else had this issue? I've used Bojote's tweaking tool, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I remember having a similar issue with FS9 but forgot how to fix it. Ed Kammerman
In the case of the CS aircraft, the aircraft will lose control if the dll.xml is corrupted or, more likely, if FSUIPC.dll is not installed or properly registered in the dll.xml. A known problem. You can reinstall the FSUIPC or click on the CS execute program from the aircraft and select "repair". Make sure any subsequent SP's are reinstalled too, if applicable. For the Great Lakes area crash(es), I have never heard of this problem. Does the system Event Viewer have any information about the crash? Most likely you have an overheating, overclocking, and/or your FSX sliders are set too high. It would be good if you could tell us your system specs. Best regards,Jim

Hi Jim, Temps are fine. But I'll check the sliders. System specs are as follows. I'll also check the event viewer. I don't think it's an issue with the CS aircraft, I think it might be a scenery issue. AMD Quad Core Processor 2.9Ghz 6GB DDR 3 Memory 1TB HDD Nvidia GT9600 video card Ed Kammerman

Jim, I checked the event viewer and it's ans G3d.dll error. I've seen a lot of info about this but don't remember seeing a clear solution for the problem Ed Kammerman

The G3D error might have something to do with a terrain problem. Please check if you have the l;atest patch for UTX USA. Recently I had CTDs all the time when flying north of KSEA. Always happened right about at the same location. After upgrading to UTX USA v1.5, the terrain issues in that area were fixed and the CTDs stopped.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

You could post your route, complete with navaids for someone to try and see if they can duplicate it. If you have a fsx pln file post that in notepad if Avsim will not let you attach the file to a post. One thing you can try is to disable UTX and any other addons of any type in the area. If you do not crash after that add them in one at a time until you do crash.

I lowered some of the display settings in FSX and tried my flight again, got a little further this time, but the flight crashed again. My next step is to disable UTX USA and see what happens. Unfortunately The system wouldn't let me post my flight plan, but since I get my flight plans from FlightAware, here's what they had for this flight for AAL85 JFK/SFO. Aircraft was CS 767 300. GAYEL J95 BUF J16 ECK J16 MONEE J16 BAE J16 MCW J148 DTA RUMPS OAL MOD3 Ed Kammerman

Is this a flight plan that you are loading using the FSX flight plan screen or are you selecting JFK and SFO and asking FSX to create a flight plan? The reason I am asking is because if you are loading it I think there should be a pln file saved some place. If you are running Win 7 it would probably be under Users\Your Name\My Document\Flight Simulator X.

I actually copied this plan to FS Build which copied it to my FSX flight plan folder. Here's the flight plan from FSX <SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0"> <Descr>AceXML Document</Descr> <FlightPlan.FlightPlan> <Title>KJFK to KSFO</Title> <FPType>IFR</FPType> <RouteType>HighAlt</RouteType> <CruisingAlt>34000</CruisingAlt> <DepartureID>KJFK</DepartureID> <DepartureLLA>N40° 38' 23.00" , W73° 46' 44.00",</DepartureLLA> <DestinationID>KSFO</DestinationID> <DestinationLLA>N37° 37' 08.00" , W122° 22' 29.00",</DestinationLLA> <Descr>KJFK, KSFO</Descr> <DeparturePosition>13R</DeparturePosition> <DepartureName>JOHN_F.KENNEDY_INTL</DepartureName> <DestinationName>SAN_FRANCISCO_INTERNATIONAL</DestinationName> <AppVersion> <AppVersionMajor>10</AppVersionMajor> <AppVersionBuild>60905</AppVersionBuild> </AppVersion> <ATCWaypoint id="KJFK"> <ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N40° 38' 23.00",W73° 46' 44.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>KJFK</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="GAYEL"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N41° 24' 24.00",W74° 21' 25.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>GAYEL</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="STOMP"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N41° 35' 46.00",W74° 47' 47.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>STOMP</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="BUFFY"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N41° 56' 27.00",W75° 36' 45.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>BUFFY</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="CFB"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N42° 09' 26.00",W76° 08' 11.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>CFB</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="VIEEW"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N42° 26' 22.00",W77° 01' 33.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>VIEEW</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="KELIE"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N42° 39' 37.00",W77° 44' 41.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>KELIE</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="BUF"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N42° 55' 44.00",W78° 38' 46.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>BUF</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="BUF12"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N42° 56' 20.00",W78° 55' 06.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>BUF12</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="LESUB"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 01' 00.00",W80° 32' 58.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>LESUB</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="YXU"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 02' 16.00",W81° 08' 56.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>YXU</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="ECK17"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 12' 10.00",W82° 19' 16.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>ECK17</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="ECK"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 15' 21.00",W82° 43' 04.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>ECK</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="EJOYS"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 15' 11.00",W83° 29' 01.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>EJOYS</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="MONEE"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 14' 25.00",W84° 27' 50.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>MONEE</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="GRUBB"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 13' 27.00",W85° 20' 23.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>GRUBB</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="DABJU"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 11' 54.00",W86° 16' 23.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>DABJU</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="BAE"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 07' 00.00",W88° 17' 03.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>BAE</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="DUTYS"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 07' 50.00",W89° 20' 05.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>DUTYS</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="SIBER"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 08' 04.00",W90° 23' 33.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>SIBER</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="SABBO"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 07' 53.00",W91° 10' 07.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>SABBO</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="MCW"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N43° 05' 41.00",W93° 19' 47.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>MCW</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="GOOLD"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N42° 57' 30.00",W94° 42' 51.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>GOOLD</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="ONL"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N42° 28' 13.00",W98° 41' 12.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>ONL</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="HANKI"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N41° 37' 55.00",W102° 55' 48.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>HANKI</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="CYS"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N41° 12' 39.00",W104° 46' 22.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>CYS</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="MTU"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N40° 08' 57.00",W110° 07' 39.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>MTU</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="DTA"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N39° 18' 08.00",W112° 30' 20.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>DTA</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="RUMPS"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N38° 07' 09.00",W117° 16' 14.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>RUMPS</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="OAL"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N38° 00' 11.00",W117° 46' 13.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>OAL</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="INYOE"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 53' 44.00",W118° 45' 53.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>INYOE</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="KYLLA"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 49' 33.00",W119° 22' 05.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>KYLLA</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="TROSE"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 41' 56.00",W120° 24' 15.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>TROSE</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="MOD"> <ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 37' 38.00",W120° 57' 28.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>MOD</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="GROAN"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 35' 25.00",W121° 17' 06.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>GROAN</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="CEDES"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 33' 02.00",W121° 37' 28.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>CEDES</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="OOMEN"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 28' 36.00",W121° 56' 00.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>OOMEN</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="MEHTA"> <ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 27' 42.00",W121° 59' 47.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>MEHTA</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> <ATCWaypoint id="KSFO"> <ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType> <WorldPosition>N37° 37' 08.00",W122° 22' 29.00",</WorldPosition> <ICAO> <ICAOIdent>KSFO</ICAOIdent> </ICAO> </ATCWaypoint> </FlightPlan.FlightPlan></SimBase.Document> Ed Kammerman

I flew this today and had a perfect flight all the way to SFO so it is not the flight plan. I flew the PMDG MD11 and I used Navigraph navaid data base AIRAC Cycle 1013. This is the last one Navigraph released for 2010. Do all of the planes that crash use a Navigraph data base? If they do you can try a different data base. If they do not then it maybe a problem with the default FSX data base if FSX crashes in the same spot on this route all the time. If it crashes in the same spot all the time delete the navaid just prior to the crash and the navaid just after the crash and see what happens. If it crashes in different spots then it probably is not the navaid data base. My addon scenery around any of the Great Lakes on this route consists of UTX, GEX, FSG mesh and ST LC. All have been updated to the latest revisions. For AI I also use MTX 5.3b Pro. The only thing I can suggest is to try a different navaid data base if you can. If you are using an addon AI program disable it. If none of this works then disable UTX and any thing else that you have added in the area FSX is crashing. Does this crash in the same spot everytime, if so where?

Guest firehawk44

It is not the flight plan as proven (so far) by idahosurge. The OP said the G3d.dll was at fault for each crash. I would guess that the Event Viewer also indicated the Exception Code was 0xc0000005 which means there was a memory exception error. Those errors are hard to diagnose BUT I would hazard a guess that his system is not properly configured to handle FSX. A slider or setting is set too high. Look at the system belonging to the OP vs the one from idahosurge. Night and day systems. I have had a similar problem as the OP's except that I was flying the CS 757 into KSFO at NIGHT on my old system (as shown in the signature). The CS757 seemed to be totally out of control and at the minimum, it could not land after hitting the APP with the FMC programmed. The CS 757 flew perfectly until I got into the night scenery at KSFO. FSX did not crash but FPS dropped considerably almost making it impossible to continue flying. If I flew the same route during the day time, there was absolutely no problem so I avoided night landings with my old system. Now, if I get a G3D.dll crash with my new system, I attribute it to bad voltage settings to my CPU or computer memory. I go into the bios and lower one or both and the crashes stop. So, IMHO, that's the problem.... the OP is using too many system resources. Best regards,Jim