Sign in to follow this  
skyrider

Go-around: Insufficient thrust/performance...

Just tried a couple of go-arounds & spotted that the reduced go-around thrust is rather too reduced, giving insufficient climb performance. For example: go-around thrust was a mere 78.6%, pitch 7 degrees nose up, rate of climb <1000 fpm. This was with flap 15 & gear up. I would suggest that ballpark figures would be around 90% N1, pitch 15 degrees nose up, ROC somewhere between 1000-2000 fpm. I know you can press TOGA a second time but under normal conditions this should not be necessary. Cheers, Doug

Yeah it's been reported multiple times long ago. Still experiencing the same here, also after HF4. Initially thrust shoots up to around G/A limit but then, as you say, reduced quite significantly, not quite achieving a minimum of 1000 fpm, even less with go around flaps 15. Second TOGA push results in full G/A thrust but this is probably not what you would usually want to do. sig.gif

Yeah it's been reported multiple times long ago. Still experiencing the same here, also after HF4. Initially thrust shoots up to around G/A limit but then, as you say, reduced quite significantly, not quite achieving a minimum of 1000 fpm, even less with go around flaps 15. Second TOGA push results in full G/A thrust but this is probably not what you would usually want to do. sig.gif
Thanks for your input. Sorry to repeat this one if it's been reported before but it's hard to find things things in this forum. Cheers, Doug

No offence meant. I think it's quite a crucial issue and so it's good to not forget about it. sig.gif

This is a massive issue. Kind of unbelievable something so fundemental made it into the final product!

Yea, I also have this and submitted a support ticket around HF2 time... It almost always reduces to 78.X% from GA thrust that lasts a few seconds... I have to hammer the TO/GA button about 10 times to get it to go back to GA thrust.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Just had this again last night- was on final for RW09 at Memphis behind a company and they couldn't vacate quickly enough. Pressed TO/GA, retracted gear and flaps to 15. A few seconds later, the N1 reduced and almost left me falling back down to the runway if I hadn't acted as quick as I did. Had to press it twice more to get it to stay on GA thrust.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Just had this again last night- was on final for RW09 at Memphis behind a company and they couldn't vacate quickly enough. Pressed TO/GA, retracted gear and flaps to 15. A few seconds later, the N1 reduced and almost left me falling back down to the runway if I hadn't acted as quick as I did. Had to press it twice more to get it to stay on GA thrust.
I trust you filed an ASR!

Question for all of you:Looking at your hardware throttles, where were they sitting in terms of their % total range? A lot of the time A/T issues are being caused by peoples' hardware throttles trying to override the sim because the hardware throttles were in a different position than the sim's. The sim's command for GA thrust, being the last command given will put you at GA thrust, but if your hardware throttles are in a separate location and they send a spike, its command is the last command given and the sim will then reduce the power to match the hardware. When you hit GA again, the sim will adjust accordingly, but only until it gets another spike from the hardware. This is why they have the option for you to tell the sim to ignore your hardware throttle location when in A/T. If this is the case, it's not a massive issue with the product. It's a massive issue with your understanding of the product.

Kyle Rodgers

Actually the go-around is a bit improved with the HF4. Before this fix it barely had a positive climb at all. Hopefully the go-around will be modelled correctly with SP1 as the old PMDG did it spot on!

Question for all of you:Looking at your hardware throttles, where were they sitting in terms of their % total range? A lot of the time A/T issues are being caused by peoples' hardware throttles trying to override the sim because the hardware throttles were in a different position than the sim's. The sim's command for GA thrust, being the last command given will put you at GA thrust, but if your hardware throttles are in a separate location and they send a spike, its command is the last command given and the sim will then reduce the power to match the hardware. When you hit GA again, the sim will adjust accordingly, but only until it gets another spike from the hardware. This is why they have the option for you to tell the sim to ignore your hardware throttle location when in A/T. If this is the case, it's not a massive issue with the product. It's a massive issue with your understanding of the product.
It has nothing to do with the hardware. You can try it with every throttle setting you want with the same outcome.

It has nothing to do with the hardware. You can try it with every throttle setting you want with the same outcome.
It has quite a lot to do with the hardware if the sim is not set up properly. So, what you're telling me is, that you put your hardware throttle at 100%, you hit TO/GA, but you're not getting rated thrust?

Kyle Rodgers

It has quite a lot to do with the hardware if the sim is not set up properly. So, what you're telling me is, that you put your hardware throttle at 100%, you hit TO/GA, but you're not getting rated thrust?
When performing a automatic go-around the auto throttle has control over the power setting. When you hit the TO/GA you will see a N1 rise to go-around thrust and immediately backing off again resulting in a climbrate of <1000fpm, even if your throttles are at max before commencing the the go-around. So yes, I'm telling you this has nothing to do with the hardware. This is a software issue.

I've even tried it with my hardware throttle unplugged. Same result. Trust me, it's the plane, not user/controller error.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo