Sign in to follow this  
Bekatro

Setting the FMC for touch-and-goes

Hello, I was wondering how to configure the FMS, and if it was possible, for a touch-a-go configuration. When I load a flightplan in my FMS, each time the 737 passes a fix it is deleted from the Legs Page and on the Navigation Display, so that only the points that the plane hasn't passed yet are remaining. My problem is that when I perform touch-and-goes and that I have put my airport and runway indication on the Navigation Display, after the first landing everything is deleted on the ND, consequently it is all clean during my second circuit pattern.In this video, we can clearly see that those indications stay on the Navigation Display during the whole procedure :

How could I do that ? Thanks you in advance :) Bekatro PS : Sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native english speaker.

Just like real aircraft, you have to re-init the box. The FMS is confused and only knows point a to b.It doesn't understand touch n goes. Unless you are doing VFR patterns, you will have to re-init and load the approach. While performing VFR patterns, take note of VREF and dail it in the speed window and update it every 5000 pounds. I posted a NG techniques guide in the forum so give it a search. It has some touch n go info in it.

Funny coincidence, as I actually asked that very guy the exact same question some time ago, and just a second ago I checked in to see I got his reply in my inbox. I hope he wouldn't mind if I just quote him to set the questions to rest:

How was the FMS set up for the flight? Just typed in the departure airport and destination (both the same airport) in the Route page. Now how do you manage the speeds during the touch and goes? We memorized the V1 speed and the check airman called out Rotate. The Vref speed was all we had in there, and I can't remember if it drops out after the touch and go. I think it stayed in there. During the circling, do you set up the APPROACH page every time? No way. This is a heads outside the cockpit flight. We didn't even set up the ILS until maybe on the flight back to SJC. What speeds do you use to rotate every time, do you just remember them from the very first takeoff? As I already said, I'm convinced you won't have V1/VR on the speed tape after the touch. Yep, we just remembered them. Does V1 have *any* practical meaning during a touch-and go? I would suppose you would not abort after touch down, as you're already in the high speed regime. Yeah, Rotate was more important to us. We briefed that if for any reason the pilot flying were to open up the reversers, then we would discontinue the takeoff and stop right there and taxi back for a takeoff. That didn't happen though.
So obviously this is way more basic flying than most would think. No fancy FMS tinkering there, this is really just aviating. Thanks to the author for the most valuable footage and the explanations as well. Hope this helps! sig.gif

Thanks you for your answers.G550Flyer : I have checked your guide, and it has some valuable informations, thanks you. Badderjet : Thanks for this "interview" (from Kent is that right ?) ! I have tryed to only put the Departure and destination airport and nothing else more, but the runway still disappears after the first landing.I have another question that is less related to my question : I can't remember how to draw circles around a point in the Navigation Display. If I can remember well, we have to put "OurPoint / the distance", for exemple, METEK/5 for a 5 mile circle, is that right ? It doesn't seems to work for me, it is said that it's "invalid". Thanks you for you answers :)

Go to FIX page, enter ID of whatever you need a circle around. Then enter RRR/DD or RRR/DD.D for example, if you want a radial and a distance. Like 240/5.2 or 090/2. If you only need a radial, enter RRR, like 351. If you only need a distance, enter /DD or /DD.D, or obviously /D and /D.D will do just as well. Examples: /5, /12, /11.5, /2.9. Then upselect. You can also specify multiple radials/distances if you need to. If you need circles around multiple points however, go to next page and start over. I think there are six of them that you can use. If you want to get rid of a point, hit DEL and delete the ID, then the page should blank and all reference be removed from the ND. sig.gif PS In order not to get deleted, you need sign your full name in these forums as stated in the rules.

Thanks you Badderjet, I have fixed my problem, and your explaination was very clear. :)I will put my name as soon as possible. Thanks again

So obviously this is way more basic flying than most would think. No fancy FMS tinkering there, this is really just aviating.
Hehe, it's quite funny that people almost are surprised that even a 737 can be flown like any other airplane, wiithout the help of the computer. ;)

This was a good reference too:

# Article on take off / landing circuits at same airport

And, I don't see a full name posted on any post in this thread, even the fellow calling out the other dude.  Edit:  I see it now, in tiny letters embedded in the paragraph.

Mark Trainer

Edited by mtrainer
I was wrong. And, I posted to a 6 year old topic! Ugghh! Sorry