Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

FMS CDU on iPhone - Experience?

Anyone using this? I know people mentioned AirDisplay and iDisplay - what are the advantages of those? How is the experience, for example how much lag is to be expected? Both of them are not exactly a bargain for an app, and there's no trial as well so I wonder if it's worth to spend the money just for this one application. I'm running a single monitor here, if that's a concern. I suppose it would work like assigning the mobile device as a second monitor, correct? Then drag the undocked CDU onto the phone. So what I'd be looking for is not a mirror of the existing PC screen, but rather an extension (a second monitor, if you will). If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate some input. Also if anyone knows a free alternative, just to try out how it would be like in general, I'd be glad. sig.gif

I have airdisplay - not too impressed with it, brings down my fps a bit too much for my liking and I consider my rig to be a great rig. Also from what short time I had with it, I don't think the FMC information refreshes in the airdisplay monitor.

I have it for my iPad, I don't use it. To make it work you need to keep part of the CDU on the main screen or it seems to 'forget' it is connected. What we need is an iOS native CDU app.

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

Ok, too bad. Your reports really don't make me buy anything here. I just checked a screenshot of the CDU on the phone and TBH it doesn't come up that large either, so could be hard to operate after all. Thanks for your input. sig.gif

Too cumbersome for me to be used routinely. I have mostly been using it to bring up AIRNAV.COM and using it for charts.

Ken Ehlers
F70

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yeah, well if it was insanely snappy and responsive, it would probably change my mind, but I guess that's also not the case. sig.gif

An iOS-native app which includes controlling the 737's FMC is currently under construction. Its primary function is to monitor/map your flight but the intention is to make its framework open so new features will be added in response to requests or bu just adding new content.... So to speak :) if you want to be informed when its finished just send me a pm. Could be a few weeks out though :)

Hm, somehow got to a very different forum and a link from there, but what they do is pretty cool. Just the price ain't so cool, but imagine having a multi-tab app (preferrably on the iPad), that would allow control of the NGX radios, overhead, MCP, CDU, stuff like that. Basically everything click-intense, as your point-and-shoot finger would be really come to advantage on such a device. I'd freak out. Hypnotized.gif Even though I have no iPad. LOL.gifsig.gif

Question to iOS 5 upgraders - anyone who experiences a nasty bug in the photo app? When I double tap portrait photos to zoom into them, moving around very often is totally jerky and not responsive at all, or just acts weird and the screen goes black. At least it's nothing like before. It doesn't seem to be a problem with photos taken on the phone, but it happens with others. And those don't even have to be larger, resolution wise. Anyone?

I have it for my iPad, I don't use it. To make it work you need to keep part of the CDU on the main screen or it seems to 'forget' it is connected. What we need is an iOS native CDU app.
Working on it. Made one for X-Plane. Waiting for the SDK