Sign in to follow this  
dmm200

Yaw Damper?

Hey guys, something weird has just happened with my NGX or rather started occurring. I've dug for the answer to an extent but I can use a little help. I've recently been noticing that the Yaw Damper (for me) has begun to stink at doing its job, as in all it does when it's on is giving me rapid inputs back and forth and turning my flight into a ride at the amusement park. I'm starting from the NGX Short startup flight and it happens in each weather program I've tried it with (REX, ASE, VATSIM). Any help? Is this being covered in SP1/hotfix? Thanks very much!

David Malinowski

Former avid simmer, current college/uni student

Intel i7-920 2.66GHz

NVIDIA GTX260 SLI

ASUS Rampage II Extreme

12 GB Corsair/OCZ DDR3 2200 RAM

Windows 7 64-Bit SP1

FSX SP2 (w/o Acceleration)

Hi! Just a shot in the dark, but worth trying: have you got the FSX Autorudder activated? Should be off, in order to let the yaw damper do its job.

Fabrizio Sassi

I use the unregistered FSUIPC and Autorudder is off.

David Malinowski

Intel i7-920 2.66GHz

NVIDIA GTX260 SLI

ASUS Rampage II Extreme

Windows 7 64-Bit SP1

That's possibly the issue then David. Does it swing around with weather turned off? ie. Does everything seem to work properly?

If you have no hardware rudders then you need autorudder to be on for steering the plane on the ground.
Unless you have a twist joystick.

Cristi Neagu

Which I do, though I've always been using unregistered FSUIPC.

David Malinowski

Intel i7-920 2.66GHz

NVIDIA GTX260 SLI

ASUS Rampage II Extreme

Windows 7 64-Bit SP1

I would also like to report the same issue. The only solution of found so far is to turn off the yaw damper. While I am aware that it is not the correct way to operate the aircraft, the yaw damper is just far to unstable. I don't recall having experienced this before installing the latest Service Pack. Other than that minor issue, the NGX works as it should. Would also like to add that I have tested this issue and it does appear to be NGX related. The PMDG JS41, 744 and MD-11 do not share this problem.

I would also like to report the same issue. The only solution of found so far is to turn off the yaw damper. While I am aware that it is not the correct way to operate the aircraft, the yaw damper is just far to unstable. I don't recall having experienced this before installing the latest Service Pack. Other than that minor issue, the NGX works as it should. Would also like to add that I have tested this issue and it does appear to be NGX related. The PMDG JS41, 744 and MD-11 do not share this problem.
+1 on all your statements.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

To those experiencing this problem, if you delete your rudder axis assignment (so you've no longer got rudder control) does the problem go away?

I've been experiencing the same problem- the yaw damper does work, but it turns flight into a wiggle-fest of sorts. With EZDok camera the movement is very noticeable. I suspect it's a limitation of FSX and dealing with a "real atmosphere" that isn't, and our situation is better than having no YD at all.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity