Sign in to follow this  
Sonny_Jim

Adding VOR beacons using FLED

Regarding Fled placing new packages and hopefully it applies here: Fled prefers geo co-ords in Degrees Minutes. My preferred site for conversion is http://boulter.com/gps/#51.406403%20-3.434975 The data you require for Fled will be in the GPS section. Below is the conversion for St Athan based on the Deg,Min,Sec of Lat: 51.406403 and Lon: -3.434975. 51.406403 -3.434975 Hope this was helpful, jimb

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Ah, that helps a lot, thanks. The only problem I have now is that when I put those coordinates into FLED, it goes to Watchet/Minehead area instead of St. Athans. I am guessing there is something in my flt3.cfg that is wrong. EDIT: It appears the coords in FLED are 51 36.690307, 3 25.665621 Odd.

More oddness, I've made a simple airport at EGDX following the instructions in the help file. It loads up ok but it seems that halfway down the runway it turns into water! I'm assuming that this is because it is at a lower height than the water nearby. How do I go about flattening airports?

Ah ok, manage to figure out most of what I wanted through RTFM. I used a combination of FLED to get the tile name, GeoTileViewer to extract the TGA, GIMP (with RLE disabled, of course) to edit and then used level57maker to regenerate. I still have a few questions, but I might start another thread for those.

Extract the tile elevation and classification with GeoTilesViewermodify the color of the classification from blue to green or red around the airport and paint in yellow what have to be on levelthen reimport the classification using GeoTilesViewer and enter the altitude of the airport when requested.Test is with fu3 and if you see virtual hills or sink in the area just export the elevation and reimport it for this file without changes.After that all the area is really flat and ready to build your airport.You don't need level57maker for that ! see also:http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/fixnar.php and/or http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/BSQ.php and/or http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/MD3.php good luckAndre

Here's another suggestion why the exact coordinates don't fit--the UKS region is known to deviate from the exact map projection in some areas. While it hardly matters for VFR it will present issues for exact IFR navigation.

Yep, thats the process I was using, I figured out early on I didn't have to regenerate 5-7 each time. I still have problems getting it right though. Is there an easy way too overlay what you can see in FLED (printscreen?) onto the tga files, as I find it very hard to judge where the airport would be. Also how would I go about fixing that area so the exact coordinates fit? I've got an airport setup now, although I need to read up on how to create runway models, as it looks a little complicated. At the moment I am using one of the stock models but it's a bit too long. I have to admit it's a very good scenery pack. Flying along the coast around Porlock and Minehead in the Mooney is perfect, 12 miles from the St Athans VOR at 212deg ;-) Great job guys!

Extract the tile with the airport using GenQuadrant to get a 4096x4096 tga picturePaint the airportarea in reddownsize the picture to 256x256 ( same size than the classification map)use it with GIMP as overlay and paint what you see of the red area to yellow in the class map (color 4 of the palette !)Caution: during save don't modify the type of tga file !

I'd like to setup an ILS system at Bristol and Filton, but I can't seem to find a tutorial on how to set it up. I've had a look at the ones already done and I can't see what I'm doing different? Where is the glideslope beacon supposed to go?

Will the FU3 White Papers contain the info your looking for? Can be downloaded:http://www.flight-unlimited.8m.com/Downloads/Tutorials/fu3white.zip Take care, jimb

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B