Sign in to follow this  
michaelb15

TrackIr or alternative for regular webcam?

Ive heard about trackIr a while ago, and I also read somewhere that there is a program simular to trackir that uses just a regular webcam.. Now that I just bought a new webcam im trying to track down a good program thats like trackIr.. Or does track-Ir itself work with just a regular webcam? lol ive been googling for the last 15 mins and I cant seem to find anything helpful.. lol does anyone know what I should use? Id be realllly happy if I can get this going tonight :( lol thanks :)

HelloI have just typed "trackir alternatives" into google and found loads of links to Freetrack , Facetracknoir ect.Have you used Google before? , the trick is to type in plain english what it is you are looking for."similar to trackir" works as well and throws up the following linkhttp://freegamer.blogspot.com/2011/01/facetracknoir-and-freetrack-foss.html.

Google freetrack; though using this isn't as easy as you might hope...My advise: get a TrackIR. Edit: crud, beaten to the punch

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

maybe I just went though everything too fast for how exausted I am (didnt sleep last night due to college homework) but from what came up on google, nothing seemed immediatly revelent to what I am looking for.. and on top of that I barely know what i'm looking for in the first place... But I loaded myself a prepaid credit card this morning so I could get a few things for fsx, so I just need to be pointed in the right place to get this.. im sorry if yous' can barley understand what I'm trying to say... but im trying to be as clear and legable as possible as I can be in this state.. lol I just wanna get this up and running im excited to see what its like :( Ive already invested a days pay into this today... Its like X-mas for me lol

HelloTry Freetrack first then when you are sure that headtracking is for you, get TrackIR.Best investment you could make after a yoke and rudder pedals, but there are a few folks who cannot get on with headtracking, so Freetrack will be a way for you to experiment without spending anything.VRinsight used to sell a headtracking system which was cheaper than TrackIR but it seems to have disappeared from sale

TrackIR - works year in - year out, and is supported and regularly updated by a great team. http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/ edit - like the man above says - rudder pedals too!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

ohh man I was just reading the manual to TrackIr and it says that I need to get some LEDs and mount them onto a baseball cap... Is there any programs that use just a webcam without having to put together a contraption like that? lol when I was first reading about this I thought that all I needed was a webcam and nothing more.. I thought that the LEDs were optional, and were only used to enhance the setup to make it more accurate? I must be really out of it if I got that wrong :s :s Do I really need a LED setup for this to work? I dont wanna have to download every single program to see what it needs :s Thanks for the help :) I really appreachaite it :)

HelloTry Freetrack first then when you are sure that headtracking is for you, get TrackIR.Best investment you could make after a yoke and rudder pedals, but there are a few folks who cannot get on with headtracking, so Freetrack will be a way for you to experiment without spending anything.VRinsight used to sell a headtracking system which was cheaper than TrackIR but it seems to have disappeared from sale
I don't even have a joystick let alone rudder pedals or throttle :( I tried to find a joystick today.. but I need to order one in.. there isnt one store in this town that has a joystick... Nothing.. Not even a cheapie.. all the stores are into console gaming.. it seems PC is becoming obsilete or somthing.. :( PS - I hate consoles lol

ohh man I was just reading the manual to TrackIr and it says that I need to get some LEDs and mount them onto a baseball cap...
HelloWhere did you get that manual?, it is just plain wrong or very old. TrackIR uses the track clip pro which comes with trackIR http://www.naturalpo...ckClip-PRO.html Freetrack uses a webcam, did you not check any of the links I gave you ?For a yoke ect, Try Amazon

I've used FreeTrack for years and am very happy with it. Yes the ball cap with LED's looks silly, buy hey.

Wow, you'll really just starting off. Definately, getting a stick is a 200% must. Here's a great "beginner's stick" that's reasonable with a decent amout of buttons to program:http://www.amazon.co...17678534&sr=8-1. It's only fault is it's only right handed. At this point don't worry about head tracking; the 'hat button' on the top of this stick works quite nicely in FSX to look around, using your thumb while grabbing the stick. And as you found out, freetrack is really a hobby unto itself.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Wow, you'll really just starting off. Definately, getting a stick is a 200% must. Here's a great "beginner's stick" that's reasonable with a decent amout of buttons to program:http://www.amazon.co...17678534&sr=8-1. It's only fault is it's only right handed. At this point don't worry about head tracking; the 'hat button' on the top of this stick works quite nicely in FSX to look around, using your thumb while grabbing the stick. And as you found out, freetrack is really a hobby unto itself.
lol thats somthing like what I was looking for today.. I cant believe that out of the 6 stores that I went to, nobody had a joystick. Currently I am using a Xbox 360 controller, which ive gotten quite used to.. Exept for the annoying panning.. its the worst setup for that. If anybody has tried it, you know what Im talking about...
HelloWhere did you get that manual?, it is just plain wrong or very old. TrackIR uses the track clip pro which comes with trackIR http://www.naturalpo...ckClip-PRO.html Freetrack uses a webcam, did you not check any of the links I gave you ?For a yoke ect, Try Amazon
yea thats the one that ive installed and was working on, untill I figured out that I need 4 IR diodes. when I say webcam.. I mean NOTHING but a webcam and my face.. No electronic hat or anything. I thought that it would use the position of my eyes on my face to determine which way my head is facing, but I need IR diodes.

lol thats somthing like what I was looking for today.. I cant believe that out of the 6 stores that I went to, nobody had a joystick. Currently I am using a Xbox 360 controller, which ive gotten quite used to.. Exept for the annoying panning.. its the worst setup for that. If anybody has tried it, you know what Im talking about... yea thats the one that ive installed and was working on, untill I figured out that I need 4 IR diodes. when I say webcam.. I mean NOTHING but a webcam and my face.. No electronic hat or anything. I thought that it would use the position of my eyes on my face to determine which way my head is facing, but I need IR diodes.
HelloThen try FaceTracknoir as I suggested in my first reply to you, the clue is in the first part of the name (face)tracknoirAre you always this difficult to help ?

HelloThen try FaceTracknoir as I suggested in my first reply to you, the clue is in the first part of the name (face)tracknoirAre you always this difficult to help ?
no im sorry i was up all last night working on a college project n now im tryin to get this goin.. while watching youtube.. and TV.. I must be really missing somthing.. because when I first heard of this technology I thought I could use just a webcam.. and your saying that.. so maybe if I just go to bed, and when I get up in the morning ill prolly figure this out in a matter of mins

To summarize what others have already said, if you are flying with the keyboard and mouse, the first thing you need is a joystick with a hatswitch so you can control the aircraft and use the hatswitch to look around in the virtual cockpit. The next step would be to try FaceTrackNoIR with your webcam. When I tried using the webcam, it worked but wasn't impressive. They continue to improve the software, and it requires a good webcam. I already had Trackir, so I haven't tried it again lately. FaceTrackNoIR is a free download. Do a Google search.

Art

I get this after im done installing "This application has failed to start beacause the application configuration is incorroct please reinstall the apliccation" Ive tries reinstalling the program several times. Im running win XP with all updates.