Sign in to follow this  
wjbwjb29

Updating the FMC Database

Hello;How do I update the FMC database so it is curent in the PMDG 737 NG.My database says its from 2004. Any help would be appreaciated. Bill

There is a free database for terminal procedures only, no routes or navaid updates, in an area for the US, Canada, UK and surrounding at planepath.com from the last AIRAC cycle of 2010. The author can no absorb the cost of his source data subscriptions so is requesting optional contrbutions. The payware navigraph.com updates (under Terminal Procedures or FMC) include all of the data classes. That being said, if your airport navaid or runway properties or flight plan sources differ from the FMC data, a problem could develop of synchronization.

I went to the navdata site and it tells you the current update but there is nowhere there to dowload it. I didnt know I had to purchase it. Bill

You have to create an account, purchase credits and then purchase the AIRAC cycle with the credits. The AIRAC also changes every 28 days so to keep current you have purchase the new one every 28 days (although i don't think many people actually do that).

Noah Bryant

I always wondered what the point of updating the database was though. Great EGKK now has a new landing frequency or a new SID deperature route (for example), sadly unless you have an updating AFCAD file for every airport affected by any changes then flying with the default ATC simply won't work correctly. It's also not a guaranteed factor flying online since you are then depending upon the VATSIM ATC to have the same AIRAC cycle with the same updates as you. I admire the fact that's possible to now fly with the most accurate real-world data but do we have the sim to keep up?

I always wondered what the point of updating the database was though. Great EGKK now has a new landing frequency or a new SID deperature route (for example), sadly unless you have an updating AFCAD file for every airport affected by any changes then flying with the default ATC simply won't work correctly. It's also not a guaranteed factor flying online since you are then depending upon the VATSIM ATC to have the same AIRAC cycle with the same updates as you. I admire the fact that's possible to now fly with the most accurate real-world data but do we have the sim to keep up?
You are partly correct - it can be a pain in the tail to go through and update AFCADS that need changes. On the other hand, there generally are not all that many of them over a year's time, the changes are generally minor, and you only need update those you actually fly to. The plus side is that you can use the current charts that are readily available on line (for the most part) for navigation.DJ

One way to keep the sim and current waypints in sync is to use a flight planner that accepts AIRAC updates. FSBuild 2.4 is one. AIRACS also provide enroute navaid updates.FS depends on the waypoints in the plan for ATC. Therefore if the plan waypoints match the FMC terminal procedure waypoints you are synced up with ATC by exporting the same plan to ATC and your FMC. For the plan exported to the FMC you can just choose the transition waypoints and let the terminal procedure waypoints be inserted into the FMC from its database.The only exception is RAW data such as ILS frequencies. The ones designed into the scenery must be used.