Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

P3D and FSX - Porting Addons

Hi Everyone, I just finished downloading P3D (10 hour download - WoW) and I have a question. I plan on wiping out my SSD and placing P3D on that drive and FSX on my 10,000rpm drive, do I have to install FSX and all my addons in order to port them over to P3D?. I know there are a few addons that will install directly into P3D, but is that because FSX is in the system registry? Thanks

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I suspect the ability for some things to install directly, and others not, is probably down to each individual installer and what it looks for in the main program folder for either FSX or P3D. If a file is not there or has a different name in P3D when the installer was originally designed to find the FSX folder's contents, then that will be most likely what puts the brakes on some installers. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If this runs better on X6 1055T, then FSX do (less stutters and blurriers), I also think I will try this!

Depending upon the scenery involved, cross-recognition by FSX and P3D and their scenery libraries can save a little work and HD space. Mesh, photo scenery and other items should be able to be installed once and added into each sim as necessary. Check EULAs for permissibility, of course!

Hi Everyone, I just finished downloading P3D (10 hour download - WoW) and I have a question. I plan on wiping out my SSD and placing P3D on that drive and FSX on my 10,000rpm drive, do I have to install FSX and all my addons in order to port them over to P3D?. I know there are a few addons that will install directly into P3D, but is that because FSX is in the system registry? Thanks
Most of addons will allow you to install into P3D directory as if it was FSX directory. You can even copy/rename prepar3d.exe to fsx.exe to fool some addon setups.The downside is:Scenery.cfg is not being updated, since the installers point to the wrong path - I was thinking of making shortcuts named as folders and files yet, but didn't get to testing that yet.So you gotta do that manually.UTX for instance will update nicely, but still scenery.cfg parts need to be copied and sorted from fsx scenery.cfg.It's quite a tedious work if you have many addons to install.From what I hear FSDT is not working, and P3D has a problem still with EZCA, FSUIPC and FSForce.But the problem relies on Simeconnect and not those addons directly - there are already updates for EZCA and FSUIPC, not yet FSForce.Also there is a problem with hardware, especially if you have throttle quadrants that are of the same manufacturer and model, for instance two Saitek TQs, then you can't assign them separately in P3D - since they are being recognized as one. Only way is via FSUIPC... even deassigning of controls has to go over FSX (copying of Standard.xml p3d-fsx-p3d).And seems like some sceneries that were made for FSX, perform worse in P3D. I haven't tested much yet, but I confirmed it for myself for some addons.All in all, P3D has a really good prospect, and I believe it addon makers jump ship and make optimized sceneries for P3D, we might fairly soon see some real advancements.Up until then, it's just a play around sim, beside a serious simming in FSX.

Srdan, I have the Saitek Yoke, Throttle, Multi-Panel, and Switch Panel. I was thinking of trying our P3D but, from your post, I may have some issues with these tools?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

You shouldn't have any troubles if you have different hardware.Two of the same is gonna make troubles: for instance two Saitek TQs.Btw. I'm not on P3D any more.

Word Not Allowed, thanks for the information. Just curious, why don't you use P3D any longer? I haven't yet started and am looking for opinions - thanks!

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Word Not Allowed, thanks for the information. Just curious, why don't you use P3D any longer? I haven't yet started and am looking for opinions - thanks!
1) problem with double hardware of the same type2) crash when exiting when using FSUIPC and similar addons3) very complicated (though possible) to install scenery (that is for FSX), even if you point into the folder - need to edit scenery.cfg or add manually in P3D4) not really very high performance boost in some situations, especially when using addons like NGX, LDS 767... we are talking 10% or less here, 20% is a dream-boost in some situationsThe only reason I would like P3D is for it's new shaders and really really better looking water and darker toned scenery.I'm on FSX for now, tweaked it and since the g3d.dll fix, I'm a happy camper.