Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Velociraptor - FSX or OS

Quick but of advice please fellas. I currently run FSX on a 1Tb 7500 HD and my OS (Win7) on a 500Gb 7500 HD. I want to get hold of a 600Gb Velociraptor 10,000RPM drive, my question is, should FSX be installed on the Velociraptor or the OS? Or is it necessary to have 2 x Velociraptors to get the benefit of the faster drive? Thanks guys...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Howard, I think that you will achieve excellent results if you use a small SSD for your OS and use the Verap for FSX. Since you're going the traditional route, you can use any of the WD Black 1T or above. You will NOT see higher fps just because you have a separate drive for fsx. I think you will experience better performance and it will be easier to defrag the FSX drive.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Howard, I think that you will achieve excellent results if you use a small SSD for your OS and use the Verap for FSX. Since you're going the traditional route, you can use any of the WD Black 1T or above. You will NOT see higher fps just because you have a separate drive for fsx. I think you will experience better performance and it will be easier to defrag the FSX drive.
Hi Jose, sure... that sounds like good advice. I know that there is a lot of conflicting arguments of having FSX on a separate drive, I'm just wondering whether I should have both FSX and the OS on a single Velociraptor. What do you think? EDIT: If I do what you suggest, is it possible to literally copy all the relevent files across to the new drives, or will it be a completely new install?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Hi Jose, sure... that sounds like good advice. I know that there is a lot of conflicting arguments of having FSX on a separate drive, I'm just wondering whether I should have both FSX and the OS on a single Velociraptor. What do you think?
FSX on a separate drive will run smoother and it will be easier to defrag. I have tried the one drive method and I did not see the same performance as with two drives.

FSX on a separate drive will run smoother and it will be easier to defrag. I have tried the one drive method and I did not see the same performance as with two drives.
Thanks for your help Jose, much appreciated EDIT: If I do what you suggest, is it possible to literally copy all the relevent files across to the new drives, or will it be a completely new install?

Howard

José, Howard is setting up a system with two spinning disks. Have you any information or experience in the situation were you have a SSD and a spinning disk, ie if one should put EVERYTHING on the SSD (granted it's big enough) or if it's better to put the OS on the SSD and the applications incl fsx and fs9 on the, in my case, velociraptor? I'd assume everything on the SSD is better despite my Vrap 300 GB being a very quick disk. Personally I also thinks it's easier managing mirrors of the partition I have everything on one disk. It's not like there is consensus on these issues in the fs world! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Krister - if you HAD enough room - putting both on the SSD would be the way to go but the only SSD's big enough for that are VERY expensive. Even with SSD's running well up to about 90% full, you're still pushing it with both. Use the Vrap for FS and leave the OS on the SSD for now. Vic

EDIT: If I do what you suggest, is it possible to literally copy all the relevent files across to the new drives, or will it be a completely new install?
Depends - the main issue will be the registry. If you can keep the same drive letter on the new FS drive, it should be ok. If the drive letter changes - save yourself a LOT of trouble and just do a complete reinstall. Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks Vic for the feedback and apologies to Howard for using your thread!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Thanks for your help Jose, much appreciated EDIT: If I do what you suggest, is it possible to literally copy all the relevent files across to the new drives, or will it be a completely new install?
The only way to do a save and restore would be if the windows drive is identical. You will have to create the same partitions, install windows, then do a restore from backed up files.
José, Howard is setting up a system with two spinning disks. Have you any information or experience in the situation were you have a SSD and a spinning disk, ie if one should put EVERYTHING on the SSD (granted it's big enough) or if it's better to put the OS on the SSD and the applications incl fsx and fs9 on the, in my case, velociraptor? I'd assume everything on the SSD is better despite my Vrap 300 GB being a very quick disk. Personally I also thinks it's easier managing mirrors of the partition I have everything on one disk. It's not like there is consensus on these issues in the fs world! :D
What Vic said.