Sign in to follow this  
STENJI

Connecting but not writing

Hi, when Active Sky asked me for the right paths to the server I edited them in my win7 regedit (the appdata path and the fsx program folders). So I started fsx then AS, both told me they are connected but few seconds later in its main page AS told me it was impossible to find the (appdata) path c:\blablabla.... and write the asx-wx-info.dat file. I edit the app path key in regedit exactly as stated in the manual "\\computer name\fsx". Isn't that correct? The connection is ok, i tested that with AI application as well plus, as mentioned, fsx told me it is connected to Active Sky.The appdata folder is shared with everyone (only a blue square is thicked and there is no way to remove that, anyway from the client i can point to the app data folder on the server and edit the docs within which means that is correctly shared, isn't it?). So what? Could it be i upgraded my server from vista to win7 and the path is not recognized because of some junction folders? Suggestions? Thanks

You must sign your posts with your full name.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi, when Active Sky asked me for the right paths to the server I edited them in my win7 regedit (the appdata path and the fsx program folders). So I started fsx then AS, both told me they are connected but few seconds later in its main page AS told me it was impossible to find the (appdata) path c:\blablabla.... and write the asx-wx-info.dat file. I edit the app path key in regedit exactly as stated in the manual "\\computer name\fsx". Isn't that correct? The connection is ok, i tested that with AI application as well plus, as mentioned, fsx told me it is connected to Active Sky.The appdata folder is shared with everyone (only a blue square is thicked and there is no way to remove that, anyway from the client i can point to the app data folder on the server and edit the docs within which means that is correctly shared, isn't it?). So what? Could it be i upgraded my server from vista to win7 and the path is not recognized because of some junction folders? Suggestions? Thanks
You must sign your posts with your full name.
Stefano Morandi

Hi Stefano, Ok it appears everything is fine except the paths, so we can focus on that. Can you share your exact paths defined (both FSXPath and FSXAppData path) in the registry? You can always use our helpdesk as well if you'd like to keep this information private. Once we verify the paths are correct, the next step is to verify that you have write access enabled for "everyone" and/or the user account/group you are using. Based on the information you presented the write access is highly suspect. You can verify all this by, from the client machine, browsing via windows explorer to both paths, and then copying or creating a file (i.e. a new text document via right-click). If the file creates/copies there OK then your write access if fine. Let's make sure all that looks good before continuing further...

Damian Clark

Here there the keys I edited in HKEY_CURRENT_USER following the same path indicated by the manual: AppDataPath REG_SZ \\HDX\File di Flight Simulator XFSPath REG_SZ \\HDX\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ The error says that can't write the .dat file, in fact I checked into the FSX folder and the file is missing when I close the Flight Sim X session. Instead it is writing that file if I run AS from the server pc. It becomes logical the suspect the shared folder which includes the SimConnect.xml cannot be writable but I swapped the ownership of the folder to Everyone, I thicked the "share this folder" in the advanded sharing tab, i gave permission "read/writing" to Everyone and checked Everyone has full control of the files into the folder. Last but not least I unchecked the blue "read only" square in the property tab. Here is the awkward: if I re-open the property tab the blue square is still present.Anyway from the client PC I can read the files into that folder and I also edited the .xml file. I can't understand.... Stefano Morandi

Hello,The registry key values are actually named: FSXAppDataPathFSXPath Please try those above (vs. AppDataPath and FSPath) and let us know if that fixes it? Thanks!

Damian Clark

Thank you very much.The real trouble were the folder permissions... I don't know the reasons but my win7 was completely messed up.Now everything is working perfectly.

Thanks for the confirmation, glad everything is working good for you!

Damian Clark