Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

My Weather Config for PMDG Planes - Part II

At the request of some who said the last thread was getting too confusing, I am re-posting this to include any Changes I made after the original post. Any changes from the original post will be highlighted in Red. Lets try and keep this simple, I know many of you have tweaked your .cfgs and have your own custom settings. This is just to give people a starting point where the conditions are such that the NGX will function well. Then they can change their settings as desired. If you see an error or something you thing really needs to be modified then go ahead and post it, otherwise please try to resist the urge to post custom configs as that is how things got so confusing in the last thread. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- One of my main gripes has always been having to check the FSX Weather settings option that disables Turbulence and Thermal effects on Aircraft. The reason was to prevent the S-Turning / Autopilot Nav Hunting by PMDG Planes which causes the plane to bank right and left back and forth which can be quite annoying. The only problem with this approach is it essentially puts your plane in a Bubble. Wind will push you around like it is supposed to but you won't feel any turbulence. With Activesky Evolution and the Registered Version of FSUIPC I am happy to say I no longer have to Check that box anymore. I have not noticed any S-turns / Autopilot Nav Hunting with the PMDG planes using these settings. In case you were hiding under a rock lately, Activesky Evolution Service Pack 3 is out. I am now using all the recommended settings. Since there are so many threads in both the PMDG and ASE forums I thought I would put it all the information together in one place and thread to make it easier. The FSX.cfg and FSUIPC.ini settings below are from the ASE Documentation and recommended for all PMDG planes. The FSXOptions.cfg File are my custom settings. Everyone has their files in different directories so I won't get into the file paths thing. If you do not know where the following files are search for them by name with Windows Search for Files or Folders Option. Make sure you have Windows set to show all files. If not you may not see or be able to find some of these files. If you still cannot find the files ask and someone will help you.

Very Important! Make a BACKUP of your .cfg and .ini Files before making any changes. This way it will be painless to go back to your old configuration if you do not like these settings.
FSX.cfg Change the following Values to the one listed below TurbulenceScale=0.500000 FSUIPC.ini Change the following Values to the ones listed below TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5TurbulenceDivisor=40,40,80,80 When done with the above Load up FSX and start a flight. Click on Add-ons at the top and scroll down and select FSUIPC. Click on the About Tab then click on the box that says, Weather Settings Off. Then go to the Winds Tab and under Supress these wind effects put an check mark in all 3 boxes. (Turbuelence, Gusts and Variance). Yes FSUIPC is going to Supress these effects. Do Not Change anything else, and do not worry about anything under the Clouds Tab. We are Basically trying to limit FSUIPC Weather Settings as much as possible so Activesky can do the rest. I do not see any way around this because if you do not have these boxes checked then the S-turn / Autopilot issue appears. The only other option than checking these 3 boxes is to Check the Box in FSX Weather Settings that says. Disable turbulence and thermal effects on aircraft. I think FSUIPC is the better option. With FSX your not going to have any turbulence at all. I think even with FSUIPC suppressing the effects that Activesky takes over and there is still some moderate turbulence. If you do a flight without a PMDG plane such as the Level-D you can go back in and Hit the Weather Settings Off Box again and that will clear all FSUIPC weather and Activesky will be in complete control of all weather effects. FSXOptions.cfg This is the file that controls all Activesky Evolution settings. Of course you could manually change all these from the ASE interface but if you just replace the entire text with the one below it will change everything for you in one shot. Replace the entire contents of File with the values below [Options]FSVersion = FSXDynamicRateofChangePercent = 0VATSIMDownloads = FalseAutomaticDownloadInterval = 30AutomaticDownloads = TrueCAVOKCloudGenerationPercent = 0NoDataCloudGenerationPercent = 0CirrusCloudGenerationPercent = 0MaximumCloudLayers = 5MinimumCloudTurbulencePercent = 0MaximumCloudTurbulencePercent = 100MinimumCloudIcingPercent = 0MaximumCloudIcingPercent = 100StratusCloudOccurrencePercent = 0MinimumVisibilitySM = 0MaximumVisibilitySM = 100MaximumUpperVisibilitySM = 150MaximumSurfaceWindSpeed = 200MinimumWindTurbulencePercent = 0MaximumWindTurbulencePercent = 100MinimumWindShearPercent = 0MaximumWindShearPercent = 100DisableWindsAloft = FalseWakeTurbulenceStrength = 100CreateVirtualStations = TrueEnhanceRouteCoverage = TrueDepictHurricanes = TrueEnableSkyScapeMode = FalseUseSkyScapeforStratus = FalseForceHighPriority = TrueUpdateRange = 500EnableWindSmoothing = FalseEnableVisibilityGraduation = TrueEnableFogLayerSimulation = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueSuppressionRange = 200StartupWave = FalseEnableDirectWindControl = TrueShowSimMessages = FalseSupressOnGround = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalseVoiceATIS = FalseThermalGenerationRatePercent = 100UpandDowndraftGenerationRatePercent = 100MaximumDowndraftRate = 2000MaximumUpdraftThermalRate = 2000DisableHazeLayer = TrueFogLayerGeneration = TrueDatFileOverwriteUserEdit = 0SuppressionCeiling =FSXDepictionMode = DWCPreventFSXCloudRedraws = FalsePreventTstormsWithCB = FalseGraduationCeiling = 20000ForceWindLock = False About some of the changes above to FSXOptions.cfg ForceHighPriority = True If Enabled could cause an impact on FPS. So you can Disable this it impacts your performance too much. MaximumUpperVisibilitySM = 150 I did this because if set to 60 nm (Default) and FSX Cloud Draw is set to 60 nm it looks like you have a little ring of clouds around you and the haze is heavy even on a clear day. If you set this to 150 nm the haze moves out to the 150 nm range and it looks more realistic then. I also set the FSX Weather to ULTRA HIGH and then move the cloud draw slider to 110 nm after I pass 10,000 feet. If you do this it will bring most medium to low end systems to a crawl if you have heavy cloud cover. The Solution is to turn autogen off. This will give you enough FPS back that you can have your clouds set to the 110 nm cloud draw maximum. When your climbing and up at cruise level your not going to see any autogen anyway. When your on the way back down and coming through 18,000 feet or so just set FSX weather back to HIGH. This is how I do it with my computer as I have a medium-grade system. If you have a high end system you may be able to get away with having both autogen on all the time and max range cloud draw at 110 nm. Try the above and I think you will agree it looks very realistic with the clouds stretching all the way to the limits of visibility. FSX Weather Tab Download Winds Aloft data with real world weather - UNCHECKED Disable Turbulence and Thermal Effects on Aircraft - UNCHECKED Thats it, you are Done! - Enjoy Big%20Grin.gifIf you only have Registered FSUIPC but NOT Activesky Evolution In this case the following changes are suggested. FSX.cfg Change the following Values to the one listed below TurbulenceScale=0.500000 FSUIPC.ini Change the following Values to the ones listed below TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5TurbulenceDivisor=40,40,80,80 Also make the following Changes to FSUIPC Wind Smoothing and FSX Weather. scaled.php?server=825&filename=fsuipcwinds.gif&res=mediumscaled.php?server=801&filename=fsuipcclouds.gif&res=mediumIf you change your values from (Example) High to Ultra High the boxes below will both uncheck themselves. So it is a good idea to make sure they are set correctly after making any changes under FSX Weather Tab. FSX Weather Tab settings can be whatever detail you want. We are only focusing on the 2 Boxes at the bottom. scaled.php?server=718&filename=fsxweather.gif&res=mediumIf you don't have the registered FSUIPC or Activesky Evolution In this case your fairly limited but the following changes are suggested. FSX.cfg Change the following Values to the one listed below TurbulenceScale=0.500000 If you change your values from (Example) High to Ultra High the boxes below will both uncheck themselves. So it is a good idea to make sure they are set correctly after making any changes under FSX Weather Tab. FSX Weather Tab settings can be whatever detail you want. We are only focusing on the 2 Boxes at the bottom. scaled.php?server=718&filename=fsxweather.gif&res=medium

Minor Update: Took off from KJFK to PANC just now in the MD-11 and forgot to check those 3 boxes. Tested one at a time and found out the following. The only one you have to check to get rid of the S-turn problem is Turbulence. So if you want you can leave Gusts and Variance Unchecked. With this setting the only thing FSUIPC Weather is suppressing is the Turbulence but you will still get a little through Activesky if I am correct. Of course you can always uncheck the turbulence box if your gonna hand fly your final approach and you want it to be bumpy. The autopilot won't be on and you will not have to worry about the S-turn issue. So the option is there if you want it. I think this is about as good as you can get with minimal tradeoffs.

Paul, Don't forget about ForceWindLock = True>>>>>>>RC4 Users

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I disagree. Since you're in DWC mode, turn off the wind, barometer, and smothing options - uncheck them. DWC does this for you and you're doubling your smoothing efforts and probably confusing simconnect. The only thing you need to have checked for advance aircraft such as PMDG or Level-D is the Turbulance box under "Supress these effects" in the picture above. If you switch ASE back to Standard mode in the future, then I would enable the FSUIPC smoothing affects you pretty much have pictured above, but still have the turbulance box checked. Also, I find that about 2kt/deg or sec, gives a little better response-time in changing conditions, especially at departure or arrival. Again, if using ASE DWC, disable FSUIPC smoothing, it's pointless.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I didn't include it cause it is not required if using ASE with Service Pack 3. Most people are using that version now and if they are not then they should be! wink.png
I disagree. Since you're in DWC mode, turn off the wind, barometer, and smothing options - uncheck them. DWC does this for you and you're doubling your smoothing efforts and probably confusing simconnect. The only thing you need to have checked for advance aircraft such as PMDG or Level-D is the Turbulance box under "Supress these effects" in the picture above. If you switch ASE back to Standard mode in the future, the I would enable the FSUIPC smoothing affects you pretty much have pictures above, but still have the turbulance box checked. Also, I find that aboue 2kt/deg or sec give a little better response-time in changing condictions, especially at departure or arrival. Agagin, if using ASE DWC, disable FSUIPC smoothing, it's pointless.
I think you read the thread too fast or not all of it. None of the Smoothing is on in FSUIPC. All FSUIPC Weather Settings were turned off when the Weather Settings Off button was clicked. The only thing that FSUIPC is doing is Suppressing Turbulence.

I think you read the thread too fast...
Yup, I started reading your ASE cfg and was immediately drawn to the FSUIPC pics - missed that bold heading about NOT having ASE. Whistle.gif

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Yup, I started reading your ASE cfg and was immediately drawn to the FSUIPC pics - missed that bold heading about NOT having ASE. Whistle.gif
Damn man I just can't win LOL! I thought the same thing was happening in the last thread. So I increase the Headers text to 24 points in size and yall still miss it! Raised%20Eyebrow.gif Guess I shoulda used 48 points. Thinking.gifDoh.gif

LOL, it's been a long work day. I shouldn't reply to threads when I'm tired. Sleepy.gifShame%20On%20You.gif I'm just gonna go fly now and mind my own business. Cuppa.gif PS. Go Gamecocks! ;)

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Yes! Go Gamecocks!
LOL, dang, I would've assumed you're a Clemson fan given your location - was trying to get a rise out of 'ya. Devil.gif Glad to see we have a few things in common. Hug.gif

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

LOL, dang, I would've assume you're a Clemson fan given your location - was trying to get a rise out of 'ya. Glad to see we have a few things in common. Hug.gif
Nah my brother went to USC and I hate the Tigers! Been to Charleston had a Blast! Big%20Grin.gif

Paul,Forcewindlock was added to a patch pre SP3, it was added to SP3 and I believe it is still required. I have SP3 and the option is still there. If it is no longer required, why is it still an option ? Maybe Jim can clarify ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Paul,Forcewindlock was added to a patch pre SP3, it was added to SP3 and I believe it is still required. I have SP3 and the option is still there. If it is no longer required, why is it still an option ? Maybe Jim can clarify ?
Quote by Jim Skorna at Hi-Fi
Don't force anything in the .cfg file but use the Force ATC Wind Lock option on the General Options screen if you use Radar Contact especially.
Seems to me this option is for Radar Contact users, and people with AI traffic. Since I do not have Radar Contact and am flying on VATSIM I do not see the need to use it. Jim can you tell us what this does and under what circumstances it is needed?