Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

My Weather Config for PMDG Planes - Part II

Excellent post Paul, thanks for your hard work.

\Robert Hamlich/

Paul,This is an excellent guidance and many thanks for your dedication to simworld flying..Do you have any help for REX2 users with registered FSUIPC.I am having major turbulence problems with 737NGX and 747-8X. When I hit turbulence with gusting winds over 60k. Loose A/P. LNAV and VNAV functions,Many S-Turns.Thanks

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Sorry I have never used REX for weather and only for textures. The cool thing about Activesky 2012 and the latest FSUIPC is all the issues with turbulence seem to have been fixed. So wind smoothing is no longer needed or disabling turbluence as long as your using AS2012 with DWC. If your still using ASE the info above still applys.

I purchased AS2012, then I un-installed, How can I use REX for textures and A2102 only for weather?

Ahmet Sanal

Load AS2012 import a plan but after it is ready hit cancel so the plan stays loaded but AS2012 doesn't load a theme. Then open REX load a theme and then your ready to start FSX. If your using AS2012 for weather make sure you disable REX weather. You can only run one or the other not both.

Thanks. I will try.

Ahmet Sanal

Thanks again, I installed AS 2012 and followed your steps as you itemized. I made a test flight from KORF to KCHS Wind aloft at FL300 was 268/134kts. I went through climb, cruise and approach with out any problem. 737-600 flew without any turbulence effects. A/P. LNAV and VNAV worked well. The only thing didn't look right was 134 kts wind plus Guss, 737 didn't jump even a inch. if I can put some turbulence effects, will be nice. How can I do it?I think some minor number settings in AS2012 Fsx.cfgOption different then yours. Will it make any difference?

Ahmet Sanal

Followup:This morning I went through all settings and found one mistake I corrected. Then, I made another test flight . I selected KGTF-KMOD flight plan. AWE Winds Aloft forecasts at FL300 was 751949 (250/119kts-49C). PMDG 737-600 climb and cruise was perfect. Flight plan route wind was according to forecasts , it was 244/115kts-44C.I received some light and moderate turbulence. Yesterday problem was solved.Finally when I was descending from FL140 wind 243/53Kts plane entered in to high turbulence area, airplane airspeed was jumping up/down rabidly, and correlation to airspeed up/downs yoke and throttle were moving forward and back rapidly. This was an evidence we were in HEAVY turbulence. The reason why I am saying evidence of turbulence, there was no turbulence effect on 737. it was descending rock solid steady and so smooth, there was no ups/down.NOW WIND SPEED was 6kts. 7 minutes later when I reached to 12000feet, airspeed ups/downs,yoke and throttles forward/back movement suddenly stooped and wind speed 6 kts disappeared and appeared as 42kts with a light turbulence.737-600 NGX flew through HEAVY TURBULENCE with out even one inch jumps ups/downs. I was wondering , programming the very low airspeed was the solution to PMDG high turbulence effects problems.

Ahmet Sanal

I'm experiencing the same, little or no turbulence effects. I've tried implementing the same settings from ASE but I get some strange fog layer effects going on (and still no turbulence).

Ed Haslam

i tried these settings, i still get sudden wind changes and white flashes against the upper sky when ASE updatesi just want the sudden wind shifts to stop, it gives me overspeed warnings

i tried these settings, i still get sudden wind changes and white flashes against the upper sky when ASE updatesi just want the sudden wind shifts to stop, it gives me overspeed warnings
Yes, I get this happening as well. Paul, do you by any chance have AS 2012 yet? Need your expert touch!

Ed Haslam

Paul, do you by any chance have AS 2012 yet? Need your expert touch!
Yes I am using Activesky 2012 but without REX now cause the texture sets with AS2012 are good enough for me.Here is my setup for AS2012 and the latest registered version of FSUIPC. These are all the Hi-Fi Recommended settings.FSX.cfgTurbulenceScale=0.500000FSUIPC.iniTurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5TurbulenceDivisor=40,40, mega_shok.gif, mega_shok.gifFSUIPC Interface inside FSXUse the disable weather button in FSUIPC to completely remove FSUIPC from the equation. No Smoothing is required, and disabling Turbulence is no longer required. Be sure you go and get the latest version of FSUIPC. This is Mandatory if you want this to work.Activesky 2012Use the default with the Direct Weather Control Option.Some optional changes to AS2012 and FSXSet AS2012 Download interval to 15 min from default 10 min.Step 1: When Airborne and above 18,000 feet I disable Autogen to save FPS for Step 2.Step 2: Change cloud draw radius in FSX to 110 nm.Step 3: Change ActiveSky 2012 Maximum Upper Visibility to 100 nmWhat does this do? Well if the conditions are overcast you will see overcast. Also when your using cloud draws of 60 nm and look outside your plane its like you have a little ring of clouds following you around which is very unrealistic if you ask me. Try the above setting and your clouds will stretch to the horizon. The reason for disabling Autogen is you can't see it from the ground anyway and it saves you FPS by turning it off. When your on your descent to the arrival airport just reverse the process so autogen is back on and your cloud draw is back to 60 nm. If you have a really high end system you may be able to get away with leaving auto gen on along with the 110 nm cloud draw option and AS visibility at 100 nm.One other thing is, if it is a very clear day and you want to be able to see a long ways like you would in the real word you can set the maximum upper visibilty to 150-200 nm. Edited by UAL115

PaulIn the OP for FSUIPC ini it showsTurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5TurbulenceDivisor=40,40.mega_shok.gif.mega_shok.gifReply 44 shows thisTurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5TurbulenceDivisor=40,40, mega_shok.gif, mega_shok.gifWhich one is correct?Michael

Edited by pcubine