Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

Yaw Damper (warning: laymen's question)

I'm still on my first hours on this new one, so please be gentle. tongue.png I have the YD announcer and also the 'YD' button on the AP, but I can't active that feature.Just wondering if the A36 has a Yaw Damper since the normal and the V-Tail Bonanza do. Appreciate any pointing in the right direction. mellow.png Thanks, guys.She doesn't need much rudder at all so far, so maybe my question answers itself there, but from reading, it seems like the YD was an option. And, as a side note, I think Carenado implemented the old fuel switch flaw where your engine "dies" if you switch tanks. The switch should go off-left-right but it moves left-off-right for example.

Reading always helps. blush.png The included manual for the KFC225 Autopilot shows the YD button to be there and having a purpose, which answers my question if the A36 should have one (in the sim).The answer is yes, but it's currently not there and working, so lets put it on the list, huh?

Guest bstolle

Even on some airliners there are buttons on the autopilot panel without function as the company either hasn't bought this specific function or if this isn't even jet available IRL. (e.g. our Dash7s even had an MLS app switch!)So the KFC225 box most probably alway has the same buttons including the YD but there's none installed as it's not needed on most single engines GA planes and definitely not any single engine Beech without V tail.BTW, I don't use the rudder at all with A36 except for de-crabbing in a crosswind, and when performing aerobatics.

The F33A has an YD button for example. When pressed, the 'YD' announcement comes up and the thing is working. Same for the V-tail.Only the A36 has YD buttons and a manual describing the feature, but no working function so far, while it works on the smaller ones.I think that was the point that made me wonder, as it looked like the feature was missed. Anything on that fuel switch?The VC graphics show the right turn direction, but the switch moves the wrong way, using 'off' in between.

Guest bstolle

On the V-tail Bonanza the yaw damper is necessary because the instability along the yaw axis especially in turbulence is inconvenient to say at least.Do you see a difference in handling on the F33 with the yaw damper on and off?Looks like the fuel switch has a bug. Might be the FSX switch logic as well. Unfortunately FSX doesn't simulate the fuel in the fuel lines, because IRL the engine wouldn't die when switching tanks via the off position.

Yes, the F33 behaves differently e. g. in turns with the YD on. It also has a setting in the aircraft.cfg while the A36 has not, so maybe that's the cause. I'm no pro there, only assuming. I've read about those fuel switch problems, but it seems like some devs get around it. The first Orbx Lancair had that problem, but now uses a new code there.I've mentioned it because all my Carenados currently show this wrong behaviour, which isn't a big thing, but maybe can be avoided in future releases. Also, when the plane is loaded, the fuel switch seems to be in a fictional 'all' setting, which normally can't be reached.At least it seems like this. If one doesn't touch the switch, she uses the fuel of both tanks at the same time. Sine the current path with the accurate FDEs and the RXP config already shows a nice upwards trend, the improvements may continue, that's my thinking when reporting things.

Guest bstolle

Just checked.If you change the yaw_damper_gain in the cfg file from 0 to 1 you do get a working yaw damper, plus advisory light etc... (plus an even more precise turn without rudder input)

Thanks for testing. I'll use that setting.Passenger comfort increased. smile.png