Sign in to follow this  
AirbusCG

Wind sound in the VC too loud?

I'm wondering if the wind sound in a real 737 NG is really that loud. Because when I'm in cruise I can hear more wind than everything else. It is even louder than the engines! In the passengercabin you can't really hear the wind and so I'm wondering if the loudness of the wind in the cockpit is true in the simulator.(I have set all loudness options in the sim to 50% and the loudness of the NGX is also set to 50%) Anyway I'm thinking about reducing the loudness of the wind sound without reducing the volume of the other sound effects. Can someone tell me which file I must rework for that and where I can find the file? Thank you for your help.Emanuel

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Yes, I believe it is that loud, according to those that drive the NG for a living.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

There was another thread on this where an NG pilot said that the speed at which the wind noise drowned out the engines was almost exactly right.

Because when I'm in cruise I can hear more wind than everything else. It is even louder than the engines! In the passengercabin you can't really hear the wind and so I'm wondering if the loudness of the wind in the cockpit is true in the simulator.
Don't forget two things: 1. the cockpit is quite far away from the engines2. the nose of the aircraft, and thus the cockpit, is hit straight on with 250-320 knot wind, while the passenger cabin only gets the airflow on the sides of the aircraft. If you know how loud the wind sound in a car at 60mph gets, it not hard to imagine that it gets a whole lot louder in a fast jet.

Wind noise should be greater than the engines, yes. If it is too loud for your tastes you can reduce it by turning down the external noise volume.

I'm wondering if the wind sound in a real 737 NG is really that loud. Because when I'm in cruise I can hear more wind than everything else. It is even louder than the engines! In the passengercabin you can't really hear the wind and so I'm wondering if the loudness of the wind in the cockpit is true in the simulator.(I have set all loudness options in the sim to 50% and the loudness of the NGX is also set to 50%) Anyway I'm thinking about reducing the loudness of the wind sound without reducing the volume of the other sound effects. Can someone tell me which file I must rework for that and where I can find the file? Thank you for your help.Emanuel
Same is true of most if not all airliners from my reading. In addition to the info already stated, add a locked cockpit and a lot of sound absorbing material (us included LOL.gif ) in between,, it's not hard to see why wind rules at the nose. Don't let too many other soundsets fool you, it's not correct to have a turbofan in each ear, especially at cruise.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for your answers guys. I would have not thought that. I'm a glider pilot myself and so I know that wind sounds can get loud while flying fast, but I did not think that they would get THAT loud. Anyway, there's still the question whiche file includes the sound of the wind. Could you please tell me if you know?Thanks

Just turn down the environment volume slider in FSX to reduce the wind noise in the NGX.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for your answers guys. I would have not thought that. I'm a glider pilot myself and so I know that wind sounds can get loud while flying fast, but I did not think that they would get THAT loud. Anyway, there's still the question whiche file includes the sound of the wind. Could you please tell me if you know?Thanks
There's no need to alter any files, just turn down the external noise volume

Just turn down the environment volume slider in FSX to reduce the wind noise in the NGX.
When I do that I'd turn down all other volume effects of the environment (like rain) too, but I'd only like to turn down the wind sounds.But for that I'd need to know which file to edit...

When I do that I'd turn down all other volume effects of the environment (like rain) too, but I'd only like to turn down the wind sounds.But for that I'd need to know which file to edit...
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Perhaps we could add such an option to the sp1/2 wishlist.

My memory of the flight deck on a 737 at cruise was frighteningly loud. I remember still that I was shocked at how loud it was. Andrew

I can confirm that it's absolutely accurate. I've been in the NG pit several times in flight, (Europe) and i can tell you that the wind is very loud indeed, especially when being in the cruise speed. I can remember last time when i was sitting there on the jumpseat, the captain was making an announcement to the cabin, and i couldn't even hear him that much even though he was sitting right next to me.

remember that you are cruising at 450 KTS True .. fast yes, but indicated is ONLY 280 or 300 something like that... but still 300 kts of wind smashing into the nose of the plane is LOUD... in the Beechjet I fly, it is deafening at 300KIAS..an old fashioned David Clarke headset would be useful!