Sign in to follow this  
captainklm

Please teach me a little bit

Hi,Im confused about all the VOR things. Despite them not being used often I would still like to know. To be more specific the VOR A, B, C (and please name them if there is more). What is the difference? I want to do a VOR C approach but Im not sure how to do it with the 747 and the FMC. I know the basics of how to use the VOR but not the approaches using the FMC.Thanks

You will have problems using the FMC to manage a VOR based approach if you are not sure exactly what a VOR approach is. Look here for some good lessons on all aspects of navigation that will take you from beginer to advanced http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm. They will also teach you about VOR approaches which are flown the same way regardless of what aircraft you are flying.

No problem. First learn to do VOR approaches using default aircraft (using the link I gave), then you can use the FMC to automate some of the approach steps but you will know what is being automated and what you still need to do manually (and how to do it).

May sound stupid, but the first time I really started to understand what VOR navigation/approach is, was when I did the built-in FSX lessons...Of course these are only the basics but I found it very useful to start with.

May sound stupid, but the first time I really started to understand what VOR navigation/approach is, was when I did the built-in FSX lessons...Of course these are only the basics but I found it very useful to start with.
Yes! I had forgotten about them but they are actually pretty good.

Just to be very clear, the chart you list was NOT an ILS chart. It was a VOR chart. An ILS approach uses an ILS transmitter beside the runway to broadcast a signal that the aircraft uses for horizontal AND vertical guidance. The aircraft can follow the signal all the way to the runway even in zero visibility. A VOR landing is simply one that uses a VOR transmitter to give the pilot a frame of reference making it easier for them to get in the right place for a visual landing. Using the chart you list, fly towards the DYE VOR, when you get close, prepare to turn towards either the HME VOR or the HM NDB, and that should get you close enough to see the runway out your right hand windows. It could just as easily have said "Fly towards the three TV towers and then turn south(ish)."

Just to be very clear, the chart you list was NOT an ILS chart. It was a VOR chart. An ILS approach uses an ILS transmitter beside the runway to broadcast a signal that the aircraft uses for horizontal AND vertical guidance. The aircraft can follow the signal all the way to the runway even in zero visibility. A VOR landing is simply one that uses a VOR transmitter to give the pilot a frame of reference making it easier for them to get in the right place for a visual landing. Using the chart you list, fly towards the DYE VOR, when you get close, prepare to turn towards either the HME VOR or the HM NDB, and that should get you close enough to see the runway out your right hand windows. It could just as easily have said "Fly towards the three TV towers and then turn south(ish)."
Thanks for that, Can you autoland with VOR DME? And more importantly how would I enter it into the FMC? And do we do it in the LEGS page?

Hi,Im confused about all the VOR things. Despite them not being used often I would still like to know. To be more specific the VOR A, B, C (and please name them if there is more). What is the difference? I want to do a VOR C approach but Im not sure how to do it with the 747 and the FMC. I know the basics of how to use the VOR but not the approaches using the FMC.Thanks
Try these guys
in Spanish http://www.youtube.com/user/VIDEOFLYREC

Thanks for that,Can you autoland with VOR DME? And more importantly how would I enter it into the FMC? And do we do it in the LEGS page?
No you can't. VOR DME will provide lateral guidance and distance from the beacon but it can't provide glideslope or vertical guidance. On a VOR DME approach the charts will provide altitude levels to be met at certain DME points. That is why it's normal for minimums to be higher on such approaches. It's also why they are more fun to fly.

Hi Joe, go back to basics! Your last chart is an RNAV approach which is a different thing again. Use some of the links you have been given and read what they have to say, even if it is not what you think you want to learn today. Asking about how to program the FMC to do something you clearly don't understand is only going to frustrate you and the person trying to help you.