Sign in to follow this  
samdean

A few questions from my last flight...

Captains, some questions from my last flight I would appreciate some insights on: 1. Takeoff - D-TO (33C), flap 5; when N1 climb thrust is set, the horizontal FD bar stays very high, meaning that it wants me to pull up; problem is, if I do that, I start to bleed airspeed and come close to a stall. What's going on here? Why is the AFDS commanding such an aggressive climb-out? If I select CMD, the bar drops and the aircraft accelerates normally through its flap retraction speeds. 2. During descent, VNAV started doing something funny: it started to command speed drops - first by dropping to 270, then 260, 250... 240... all the way to 200. All within a few seconds. The little magenta marker on my PFD speed-tape gave it away... Any idea what this is? 3. What is the difference between G/P (glide-path) and G/S (glideslope) being annunicated on the PFD? What dictates which one shows up? Thanks! Sam Kharey

1) When did you activate the AP? At the beginning of the flight it is normal that you'll climb with low speed until you reach accleration altitude. Maybe that's why you see the high attitude indication. 3) G/P is a glidepath calculated from the FMC. In G/S mode you're following the actual ILS. So is G/P mode you don't follow the ILS, but only the calculation the FMC has made where the glidepath should be.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Concerning number two, VNAV speeds are effected by the legs page, the altitude speed restriction, flap settings and the descent speed in the descent page.

1. Takeoff - D-TO (33C), flap 5; when N1 climb thrust is set, the horizontal FD bar stays very high, meaning that it wants me to pull up; problem is, if I do that, I start to bleed airspeed and come close to a stall. What's going on here? Why is the AFDS commanding such an aggressive climb-out? If I select CMD, the bar drops and the aircraft accelerates normally through its flap retraction speeds.Are you taking off with VNAV engaged (as recommended)?Is V2+20 shown in the top left of the PFD (magenta)?