Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

A Plea to all Software Developers, big and small..... Please read.

First, thanks for taking the time to open and read this. I'll keep it short. I have been adding scenery, aircraft, panels etc. etc to FS9 for some ten years now and have a really beautiful setup. The one thing that is missing, sorely missing, is that AI aircraft taking off and landing do so in awful silence. When I ran FS9 in Windows XP, FSHotSFX supplied all these sounds, and did so brilliantly. Sadly, that programme is no longer developed (or even supported) and will not run (despite my best efforts) in Windows 7 (x64). I have asked a couple of well-known producers of FS software if they would be interested in filling the gap: they aren't. At least not for FS9 (and I have little interest now in FSX, even though I have the 'Gold' version on the same PC). My plea therefore, can anyone with the talent to do so produce a product just like FSHotSFX that will work in Windows 7. I would pay (very) good money for such a thing! I am a little surprised that developers are still turning out what are to my mind rather esoteric addons for FS (and good for them of course) when this, oh so basic function is still missing. I have FS9 on my old laptop too, running with FSHotSFX, and the AI sounds make me so nostalgic for how it used to be! So, how about it? Surely this is a 'must-have' item?? Anyone who agrees (this is my nth. post of this subject one way or another) please add a begging note below! Thanks!!! Martin

Tha

Well, there's this : http://secure.simmar...boost-pro.phtml Cheers, SLuggy
That program only adds sounds that fs2004 already has in other words it just enhances what is already in the sim. Try this free download. The sound is screwed to the Landing lights - triggered by AI-aircraft permission to take off. Minuses: sound also appears after the landing and heard everywhere, but loud varies depending on your distance to it. I have tried to balance the sound so as not to be allocated against what is happening. Personally, for me it even adds to the atmosphere of the airport. http://avsimrus.com/...=download&hl=ai

Hi, If this is so important to you have you considered re-installing Windows XP ? Just a thought, Dave

Review: "This product is sub-par, the details would lead you to believe that the AI environment is greatly enhanced. It however is only slightly better than default. There are much better freeware sound packs out there. I would not recommend this product." The advantages of Windows 7 64-bit do outweigh the disadvantages of losing the AI sounds, I must admit. Windows XP 64-bit was not a particularly good O/S (unlike the 32-bit platform, though that was given to OoM errors in FS, one of the reasons I changed), whereas Windows 7 is super impressive (IMHO). How can anyone knock Microsoft, who have given us both Flight Simulator AND Windows 7 ?? :-) M

I may be interested in developing such software. I also use FSHotSFX, I'm still happy about it because still under XP.I plan to switch to 7 one day, and loosing FSHotSFX is not a happy thought... From a development perspective, I think I can do it, but the problem is that I don't have any sound sample. If you can provide me the sound samples, it would be a good start. Don't hestiate to contact me here: marciano.eric@free.fr Eric

Hi Eric, I only have the sounds in FSHotSFX, which you have already. I don't know if you could use them, or that would infringe copyright law. In any case, the company seems defunct - no activity on the site for 4 years or more. If it were for my own use or free distribution I wouldn't hesitate - but for sale purposes, it may not be ethical - or even legal! Maybe there's a way around it - editing the files maybe before use?? I doubt in any case that the developer of FSHotSFX owns the copyright to the sound files themselves - just to the programme and interface that he/she created. Otherwise, I can search for similar non-copyright sounds - perhaps someone could say what the situation would be legally though - I don't want to be seen to be encouraging anything shady!! I already have some of your other FS stuff Eric (a/c panels etc.), so it would be wonderful if you were able to make something similar in functionality to FSHotSFX ,,,, How to proceed? Will look at the Russian 'AVSIM' offering too - thanks a lot for the link. Martin

Martin, Have you tried ai_sound.zip, in the library here? I've been using it for a couple of years and it's a great improvement on the default; you can actually hear planes taxiing past you and taking off etc. ;)

Did you contact Dave March with ONCourse Software? He took Proflight that was an ATC software program and made it into A great ATC program for FS9 and FSX. Same situation where the developer stopped supporting the program and then left the simulator community. Dave might be able to take the program and add to it to be compatable and then add even more to add to the program Just like he has before.

Yes, I have had ai_sound.zip before. These freeware addons are better than nothing, but the FSHotSFX (payware of course) was whole streets ahead in many ways. If it can be replaced by someone like Eric, great (very great!), but meanwhile I am looking to add files like you suggest so that I don't have a silent airport. Thanks. Will try Dave March - I already have FDC and post to the forums there quite a lot, so he probably knows my name at least! Martin

In real life , lets say in a Airbus or Boeing cockpit can you really hear other aircrafts engines? if yes , how loud?

You never been a passenger in real life, neoalx? :-) Or use 'Spot View' in FS9? You don't have to be in the cockpit in any case: if you are in your seat waiting in a queue for take-off, you can hear the jets as they push forward the throttles and start off down the runway just as plain as the naff muzak coming through the sound system of your own aircraft. Not ear-splitting, no, but that's not what we'd be after of course. I have spent a couple of hours installing AI sounds from the AVSIM library - a bit more impressive than before, but it's basically the same thing but a bit throatier: what you don't get is the wonderful changes in sound and distant roars that you got with FSHotSFX: so I really hope Eric will come back on this one! I've emailed Dave M too ... Martin