Sign in to follow this  
cj-ibbotson

HGS Zoom Level?

Hi Guys Not had time lately to browse the forums but had a small issue since getting the NGX on its release. I have it updated to Beta 3 but still have an issue with the zoom level of the HGS.All videos I have seen and screenshots show its displayed content quite small i.e. it all fits no problem within the display area but not on mine. If I zoom out to 0.40 or in to my normal 0.8 it always appears too large and cropped, I have to move my position way forward so my nose is almost touching it before I can see everything like looking through a small window. I'm using TrackIR. Ive reinstalled it and also gone back to Windows XP x64 as I was sick of the Black Screens of Death which besot Window 7 64 Bit on various aircraft and tweaks etc. The zoom issue is the same on both OSs. I'm in work but will try post screenies later this evening. Any help? Chris Ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Are you spanning fsx across multiple displays? The horizontal field of view angle is hard coded into fsx so when you do that it chops a little off the top & bottom, effectively reducing your visible area in the cockpit.

Show a screenshot. Check your POV and set it according to the manuals. You can't be too far away from it IRL either. It's actually certified for one position. Even more, IRL the display will vanish very quickly when you move your head by only a small distance, so actually not the border of the combiner are the limits but they are way tighter than that. I guess this would have been even harder to simulate though. sig.gif

Are you spanning fsx across multiple displays? The horizontal field of view angle is hard coded into fsx so when you do that it chops a little off the top & bottom, effectively reducing your visible area in the cockpit.
No just single display
Show a screenshot. Check your POV and set it according to the manuals. You can't be too far away from it IRL either. It's actually certified for one position. Even more, IRL the display will vanish very quickly when you move your head by only a small distance, so actually not the border of the combiner are the limits but they are way tighter than that. I guess this would have been even harder to simulate though. sig.gif
I have TrackIr and ECZA, when I reset the camera position its always too low for the HGS, I've read others state this too. Easy to increase my seat height but the whole outer edge, perhaps an inch or two IRL terms, is always missing and I can only see it if I move my POV a WAY forward and the HGS almost fills my monitor I certainly do NOT see it like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28441/HGS_font.jpg Will try make a screenshot later this evening, its only 4pm in UK

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

No just single display I have TrackIr and ECZA, when I reset the camera position its always too low for the HGS, I've read others state this too. Easy to increase my seat height but the whole outer edge, perhaps an inch or two IRL terms, is always missing and I can only see it if I move my POV a WAY forward and the HGS almost fills my monitor I certainly do NOT see it like this http://dl.dropbox.co...41/HGS_font.jpg Will try make a screenshot later this evening, its only 4pm in UK
It's the same problem I have, but for some other reason. The only way to be able to see the whole display within the combiner (even when perfectly centered on it) is to move forward until the top & bottom of the combiner are passing off the edges of the screen or nearly so. It's roughly equivalent to having to lean forward until your head is farther forward than your knees. Nothing else in the vc is visible at all & looking down you would almost have a square view of the top of the yoke. It isn't because the view is set too far back, when looking 90 degrees to the right you'd be looking over the seat cushion of the FO's chair.

It's the same problem I have, but for some other reason. The only way to be able to see the whole display within the combiner (even when perfectly centered on it) is to move forward until the top & bottom of the combiner are passing off the edges of the screen or nearly so. It's roughly equivalent to having to lean forward until your head is farther forward than your knees. Nothing else in the vc is visible at all & looking down you would almost have a square view of the top of the yoke. It isn't because the view is set too far back, when looking 90 degrees to the right you'd be looking over the seat cushion of the FO's chair.
You've described exactly what I'm getting, I too have my seat position so that if I turn to the FO seat Im not too far forward or back in relation to the backrest. Wish I knew how to correct it. Many users, like the image I posted, seem to have a very low zoom level which didnt work for me. I personnally cannot stand this 'fish eye' POV, the real aircraft doesnt look like that so why fly in the sim like that

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

You've described exactly what I'm getting, I too have my seat position so that if I turn to the FO seat Im not too far forward or back in relation to the backrest. Wish I knew how to correct it. Many users, like the image I posted, seem to have a very low zoom level which didnt work for me. I personnally cannot stand this 'fish eye' POV, the real aircraft doesnt look like that so why fly in the sim like that
It's kinda difficult to explain sometimes. What would help people see the problem is a screenshot from the same position & zoom level as the one you just posted. That way at the same position & zoom they can see how much larger the HGS drawings are. I won't be home for several hours, but I doubt mine would help anyway. My problem is a reduced vertical FOV from running it at 5980x1200 across 3 monitors...

Hm, in the screenshot you posted it looks pretty normal to me? Maybe it's indeed hard to understand, as I've probably not had this issue or ever seen it anywhere. It is known that landing lights will hide a part of the HUGS, but that's probably not what you mean. Maybe a video would help, but that'd be some more work than a simple screenshot. sig.gif EDIT Sorry, should've read more closely... now understanding you screenshot was NOT what your problem was. *facepalm*

Edited by badderjet

Hm, in the screenshot you posted it looks pretty normal to me? Maybe it's indeed hard to understand, as I've probably not had this issue or ever seen it anywhere. It is known that landing lights will hide a part of the HUGS, but that's probably not what you mean. Maybe a video would help, but that'd be some more work than a simple screenshot. sig.gif
That screen shot was showing what everyone else sees but he (we) don't. Imagine the drawings/fonts in the HGS being roughly twice as tall and twice as wide, to the point that you have to almost hold your nose against the combiner to see it all.

I have the same problem on a 19" 1280x1024 Seen many screen shots like the one above and wonder how.

Same thing here... Always wondered why mine was displaying so large as opposed to what others see.

same thing here. Once I have a good view, I have to zoom out to .30 to be able to see other instruments -Brendan

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

OK, here's an illustration of what we're talking about. Keep in mind that my situation is worsened by the surround setup, so it is likely a lot worse than the actual problem under discussion. This is purely for illustrative purposes for those unfamiliar with the issue. #1 How we think it's supposed to look;http://dl.dropbox.co...41/HGS_font.jpg #2 How mine looks;http://sehlah.com/fsx/myhgs.jpg(this was taken in 5996x1080 & the center cropped to 1920x1080 to show what's on my center display)As you can see, it requires ramming our virtual noses into the combiner to see anything more than your heading... NOTE: Mine is exaggerated due to the reduced vertical FOV in 3-monitor surround setups. I have WideViewAspect=True in my fsx.cfg, but it didn't help at all. In a single monitor setup, it still appears to be too big, but I can see all of the HGS display while also having a corner of the efis panel visible & the top/bottom of the combiner lens barely still on-screen.

Thanks a ton, now I'm in the game. Yeah certainly, there's something very wrong. TBH though, are you really sure this has anything to do with widescreen? In fact I'm pretty sure the VC is very independent of aspect ratio (unlike 2D!), at least I've never seen any sort of distortion whatsoever. Even if you resize the FSX window like mad to crazy aspect ratios. Your viewing angle might not be benefitial, but the view itself always seems perfectly correct (not distorted, that is). sig.gif