Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

Rejected Takeoff (RTO) functions only once, then won't disengage

I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing wrong, or something the airplane is supposed to do- I think I've read one post already with this problem: On practicing rejected takeoffs, the system functions fine on the first try: RTO set on the autobrake,Rejection made above 90kts wheel speed -the brake engages, and because I go into reverse, the speedbrake comes up (deploys). When I reset the system (autobrake in RTO once again), and make a decision to abort above 90kts wheel speed, the autobrake simply disarms. Problem 2:During an RTO event, I'm not able to disengate the autobrake, even by tapping my brakes twice. I must wait until the aircraft comes to a complete stop, and then it lets me disengage the autobrake. I'm using CH Pro-Pedals calibrated through FSUIPC. -BrendanEDTFProblem 2 update: I was able to disengage the autobrake using my hardware toe-brakes only if I used MAXimum pressure- that is, pushing both pedals to the brake stops twice. I guess they were serious in the manual introduction that you must use as much pressure as is being given. Since an RTO is a "max braking" event, I guess I had to use 100% pressure.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Just a shot in the sky, but maybe since you are performing 1 rejected takeoff the brakes become extremely hot and the system will not let you perform a second time. Remember then when a real RTO is done the brakes will be blazing hot and some times even cought a fire. So logically the system will not engage auto brake before they cool of. I stand to be corrected but thats my logic.

I think there's something to what you said- I did another RTO and made sure that my brake temps were at the point where they failed due to heat. I then reset this in the maintenance options, and was back to 0.0 on the temps, and was able to performa another reject. I would love if Ryan Masiarz could comment though, I'm hoping it's not just a fluke. -Brendan

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hi.Having the same trouble too with only being able to do one RTO then the Autobrakes do not function on any other attempts.I have let the brakes cool down to about 0.5 for a second attempt but when i bring the thottles to idle above 90 knots and apply reverse thrust the Autobrake Disarm Light comes on and no braking.Tony

I dont get it. After all the preflight stuff I do, I want a nice smooth takeoff. You guys are actually enjoying speeding down the runway doing multiple RTO's for the heck of it? Odd....

Eric 

They do it because they can... It would not be possible in the real world... for technical reasons, the brakes would not hold up to 2 RTO's in short succession...RTO - off to inspection to see if everything is okay...Andrew

And what exactly is odd about using a simulator for what it is intended for? ie simulating failures, studying the qrh and learning how the aircraft behaves during emergency procedures. Trust me it's more odd sitting there pretending to be an airline captain.

Rob Prest

Point taken Rob...I would hazard a guess that the rw full motion sims would reboot the situation on RTO... or have you ever simulated more than one RTO in a session?I have no idea, no experience of a full motion yet...Andrew

I know in the real world after an RTO the plane would be inspected etc and there would be a considerable amount of time before attempting another take off. I think it is a bug in the NGX software as it seems to give you RTO braking just once in a Flight Sim session. I have waited quite a bit of time between take offs, and have also tried after multiple flights in a session when the very first take off was RTO (which worked) then tried on another take off several flights later and found no RTO braking.Tony

I don't know if it is wanted or it is a bug, but if calling maintenance from menu solves the problem is a right procedure as after an RTO an inspection for igh energy stop is required before a furter aircraft release to service.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Perhaps I'm experiencing something similar with respect to autobrakes and the RTO situation above.I'm practicing hand flown base training at fields with shortish runways. During my first approach, I select max autobrake (the same applies to other autobrake settings), and on landing my NGX stops perfectly using autobrakes and reverse with spoilers deployed. I turn, taxi back, reset to RTO, and takeoff. On approach, I reselect autobrake max, and on landing, the autobrake disarm light illuminates immediately. I find that the autobrakes work correctly just once no matter how many circuits I do; I have not considered brake temps, as each circuit takes 6 or so mins, and the gear / brakes might be cooled during the takeoff. I will check.Normally, I would do touch'n'go's which do not require braking or autobrakes until the last circuit to land, but I'm enjoying the rocket like qualities and short field capabilities of the 600; it's kind of hard to resist flying that aircraft like that. In summary, the autobrakes seem to work once only during a flight, the same as the RTO scenario above, though once is all that would normally be needed. I use Saitek pedals setup through FSX only. FSUIPC is installed but it is set to ignore brakes. My NGX is SP1, and FSX is SP1&2. Any thoughts would be welcome. Fabio

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"