Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

aerosoft diamond DA 20 katana electrical problem

hi, 10 to 15 mn after launch of the DA 20 I have no attitude indicator, no flaps, no GPS even if I have not taken off. Those systems become no longer active even though the flaps, GPS and radio are still powered on. I tried CTL E and everything is back to normal. It seems that there is an electrical problem somewhere. I remember vaguely that it could be linked to the aircraft selected for the default flight which could create an issue with some add on aircraft. What do you think? What is the fix?Thank you.

Probably a daft question, but have you tried Aerosoft support? -Dai
daft definition according to the collins dictionary: if you describe a person or their behaviour as daft, you think that they are stupid. Thank you for your reply, it is very kind of you. what is the point of being offensive?

There was no offense either implied or intended. The adjective "daft" is referring to the question being asked by the interlocutor, not the person to whom the question is addressed. One does need to properly parse the sentence and apply the standard rules of grammar. So, that aside, the question remains. Have you asked Aerosoft for support? It is after all their responsibility to ensure proper operation of their product and assist their paying customers. On the surface though, since it is a regular, repeating, specific set of failures I would suspect a licensing-validation issue.... ...which -by the way- does not infer anything other than that possibly something went pear-shaped during installation, such as a license file not being created properly, some .dll not being installed correctly, et cetera.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well... I suppose I should have extended it to 'Probably a daft question on my part but [etc]'. Sometimes the written word doesn't come over entirely as meant. -Dai

hi OK my friends Yes I asked the question on the aerosoft forum only to be told that I had broken the aircraft and that it was my fault and that I should read the manual. I did read the manual and I know how to fly an aircraft without exceeding VFE.If I had broken the aircraft I don't see why CTL E would fix the flaps. Besides this issue occurs even without taking off. As I said before I remember some posts on this forum about a possible interference between the status of the aircraft selected for the default flight and some complex add on aircraft but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the fix. That is why asked my question here. I don't believe in a license issue. I bought the software and why CTL E would fix a license problem? I am afraid I will have to put up with CTL E as soon as the failure shows, not a big deal but I like when problems are fixed...Take care

I think what you may be referring to is the recommendation for some add-ons of selecting a default aircraft first, ensuring that the default aircraft is completely dead, then selecting the add-on aircraft. For testing during design, my preference for ensuring all systems off is to select the default Cessna, close all switches and levers, wait till everything is completely dead and then save the flight as the startup flight. It might be worth trying? -Dai

Yes I asked the question on the aerosoft forum only to be told that I had broken the aircraft and that it was my fault and that I should read the manual. I did read the manual and I know how to fly an aircraft without exceeding VFE.
Gracious! They actually wrote that? How could you possibly have "broken the aircraft?" Even so, without specifying precisely how that would even be possible, that's a terrible support attitude. To help diagnose where the problem might lie (I suspect electrical and/or battery problems), edit your aircraft.cfg file temporarily to add this entry:
[electrical]....electric_always_available = 1
What the electric_always_available = entry does is ensure that you will always have electrical power available regardless of the battery voltage. If this stops the auto-shutoff behavior, then the problem has been narrowed down to a more specific area to investigate.

Fr. Bill    

I think what you may be referring to is the recommendation for some add-ons of selecting a default aircraft first, ensuring that the default aircraft is completely dead, then selecting the add-on aircraft. For testing during design, my preference for ensuring all systems off is to select the default Cessna, close all switches and levers, wait till everything is completely dead and then save the flight as the startup flight. It might be worth trying? -Dai
Hi, Yes that is exactly what I had read but could not remember completely.Thank you, I will try that.

Gracious! They actually wrote that? How could you possibly have "broken the aircraft?" Even so, without specifying precisely how that would even be possible, that's a terrible support attitude. To help diagnose where the problem might lie (I suspect electrical and/or battery problems), edit your aircraft.cfg file temporarily to add this entry: What the electric_always_available = entry does is ensure that you will always have electrical power available regardless of the battery voltage. If this stops the auto-shutoff behavior, then the problem has been narrowed down to a more specific area to investigate.
Thank you n4gix for being helpful as usual!! The line you are refering to is already there...I think I will give up To come back to the aerosoft support forum, out of curiousity, please go to the DA 20 sub forum an read my threads: control stick oscillation and attitude indicator failure. True my first post was not at the right place (it was my first visit) but I apologized for that .Next you will see how it turns out. It is unbelievable!!! I've never seen anything like that. As a wise man, what do you think about it? Thank you again.

Hi, Have read it!Snave the snake...?Indeed unbelievable; seen your background. Jan

Snave the Snide Snarky Snake does not represent Aerosoft, but it's a sign of their overall attitude that they allow his rants and rudeness to pollute their support forums.

Fr. Bill    

Ouch! No wonder you were a bit tender about my 'daft question' introduction. Snave just lost Aerosoft at least one sale to me. -Dai

I had this problem too. I found in their forums that it was indeed a bug, and I hadn't broken the plane as I had first thought. I stopped flying the plane because the concept of having a plane that can break and wear out was shot. Too bad since it really was a nice plane to fly.

Noah Bryant