Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

737 NGX Tutorial by Tom Risager

Pardon me... Where can I check the descend speed?
DESC page in the FMC.

It probably says something like .73/256 on the left side. The plane will start it's descent at Mach 0.73 and then transition to 256knots. Change the 256 to 280 or greater and that should fix this problem.

Matt Cee

But I cannot select the TNP transition...

A SEAVU2 has only one transition and that is TNP. When you select SEAVU2 in the FMC it shows no transitions because there is only one and that is TNP. Don't worry about not being able to select it. Select your runway, transition to the runway, SEAVU2 and execute.

A SEAVU2 has only one transition and that is TNP. When you select SEAVU2 in the FMC it shows no transitions because there is only one and that is TNP. Don't worry about not being able to select it. Select your runway, transition to the runway, SEAVU2 and execute.

I understood, thank You :)

Seems to me that the reason to issues may be quite simple: version of AIRAC and NGX itself. I have AIRAC-1309. And Tom said that he tested his manual with AIRAC versions 1108, 1109, and

Nevertheless FMC operating still quite difficult for me :blush:

A SEAVU2 has only one transition and that is TNP.

Actually - and I know I'm being really specific here, but I think it might help clarify things - the SEAVU STAR is transitionless. Some STARs are. If you look at the charts, the "core" part of the SID/STAR has thick lining and sharp barbs on the arrows. The transitions are thinner and don't have barbs on the arrows.

Oddly enough, the arrows and lines on the SEAVU are drawn narrow with no barbs (should be the other way around), but there's no differentiation between core and transition at any point, so it's transitionless.

Kyle Rodgers

Hey Kyle,

I can see that the SEAVU only has one routing. But I'm curious why you call it transitionless when right on the chart it states "TWENTYNINE PALMS TRANSITION (TNP.SEAVU2:..."? I know it's nitpicking but I'm curious because I've seen terminal procedures that really don't have a transition and none is mentioned on the chart. I wonder why the FAA does it one way or the other.

Dave

Dave Paige

Dave, I actually think it's because it is such an old procedure. You certainly use TNP.SEAVU2 in your flight plan so it's not wrong just not how the chart would be laid out today.

Dan Downs KCRP

I can see that the SEAVU only has one routing. But I'm curious why you call it transitionless when right on the chart it states "TWENTYNINE PALMS TRANSITION (TNP.SEAVU2:..."? I know it's nitpicking but I'm curious because I've seen terminal procedures that really don't have a transition and none is mentioned on the chart. I wonder why the FAA does it one way or the other.

That's a good question. That might explain why the whole thing has the symbology of a transition without a core route. I'm not entirely sure.

Kyle Rodgers

Not a weight issue. Usually a low CI is the culprit.

I'd assumed he used same CI as the author.

Sooner I'd expect a weight difference, different load or different DOW or different burn, leading to a shallower vert path possibly bumping the restriction somewhere where another restriction would not be met. too late to slow down to 240 under 10K for example.

Of course CI could also be it if it differs; or possibly the weather.