Sign in to follow this  
ljfitzy

Assistance in getting good performance out of a "top of the range machine "

Hey all!'My computer:i7 950 @ 3.20 ghz (over clocked)12 gb RAM2x nvidea 470 cards running SLI1x1tb hdd only with windows and fsx and fsx addons installed1x2 gb hdd for backups.I fly in aust using ftx scenery and now using the NGX I'm getting frame rates between 5- 12 fps at airports using all the reccomended settings! I even changed the screen res to 16 bit colours?Does anyone here know how I can get better performance out of this "top of the range machine"Getting slightly over it!?On top of this!I'm getting g3d.dll errors APP crash"sAnd on the home screen it take a month to load the different boxes eg, select aircraft, select weather, current airport- and then sometimes I get and error and it crashes!!During this it says fs isn't responding, but then it starts responding again?What's the go you think?

Firstly, this isn't a "top of the range" (high end) system. But it is decent! Secondly, your i7 950 is overclocked to 3.2GHz. That's next to nothing. What cooling are you using and can will you overclock higher? Thirdly. Are you using any tweaks? Bojote's? NickN's? Anything? Fourth. What aircraft are you in when you get these frames? FINALLY. Have you searched for these particular crashes in the forums? Myself and a few others have responded extensively to post about them, especially in the NGX forum.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Sorry to hijack. Zach, your signature with specs are exactly what i have been recommended to buy (minus the custom CPU cooling) + I was told to go for a 1gb DDR5 GTX 560ti. How does your system perform under high scenery? Chees mate.

Sorry to hijack. Zach, your signature with specs are exactly what i have been recommended to buy (minus the custom CPU cooling) + I was told to go for a 1gb DDR5 GTX 560ti. How does your system perform under high scenery? Chees mate.
It tolerates scenery well. One thing it seems not to like is the NGX with heavy scenery, HD clouds, and full autogen. CTDs result from that. I'm happy with it, but I still get dips into the teens if I really, really push it.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Well im no computer tech, but i was told it was a high end system, Yes i am about to overclock to 4.0 just waiting on a new cooling system.so hopefully i can get higher.. will this be a marked difference?

It will make quite a bit of difference with FPS. It won't solve CTDs and other errors, however. I feel your pain there, but most can be remedied. I'm on my cell now, so can't offer much advice.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

At the minute i'm remedying the crashes by having error msgs pop up all the time... not the best way to solve it but im desperate. you wouldl think there would be some type of fix out there for such a common error, especially after spending the money on a system like this.

You may want to try taking out one of your video cards, FSX doesn't really use SLI, and they eat up your usable memory(i.e. the first 4 GB). Other than that once you overclock your PC, and apply the bojote tweaks, you should be fine.

I've tried disabling SLI, still no difference, in fact it's worse....What tweaks are they?! Where can I get them?! I will be over clocking soon as I can trust me!!

If you were to start from scratch today, building a gaming pc to run fsx at high settings, specifically what components would you get and what case would you get to put them in. All suggestions please...Thanks!! Ive never built a pc and know nothing about it and the laptop I have now gets bogged down when I put the settings just high enough to make the taxiway signs exist and be somewhat visible. Fsx will be the only game I play on it aside from diablo 3 when it comes out so it would be built to run fsx only if that matters or changes anything.

If you were to start from scratch today, building a gaming pc to run fsx at high settings, specifically what components would you get and what case would you get to put them in. All suggestions please...Thanks!! Ive never built a pc and know nothing about it and the laptop I have now gets bogged down when I put the settings just high enough to make the taxiway signs exist and be somewhat visible. Fsx will be the only game I play on it aside from diablo 3 when it comes out so it would be built to run fsx only if that matters or changes anything.
I5 2500K8GB of 1600MHz RAMAn ATX P67 or Z68 motherboard with proper VRM and the features you need (SLI ready or not, # of SATA ports, etc...)A GTX560Ti GPUA Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, or two if you want to have FSX in a separate driveIf you want a faster drive for FSX you can pick a Vrap 600GB or a 120GB + SSD insteadA good quality 500 - 600W PSU (Corsair, Seasonic...) for a single GPU setup, 750 - 850W if you want to be covered for SLIA Corsair, Cooler Master, Lian-Li, Silverstone, Antec... mid-tower or full-tower for a case

Last year I assambled a Fs computer for someone with also a I7 950 / Asus Rampage mobo / 12Gb 1600mhz memory / GTX 470 / Seagtae 2Tb drive @ 360 Gb / 120 Gb OCZ SSD sata3I overclocked the processor to 4 Ghz and used the resized Seagate harddisk for Windows 7 Ult 64 and FSX + aircraft/airport addonsAll other photoscenery was placed onto a SSD. This system is still running and being used daily for flightsimming.The only thing that has changed is that Windows + FSX are now running on the 120 Gb SSD and that a 2nd SSD is used for photoscenery. Framerate is very good and only gets below 25 when near/at AS Schiphol.Therefore the framerate in FSX is set to unlimited and the External Framerate Limiter is set to 25. Note : for overclocking you need a much better cooler than the stock cooler.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I5 2500K8GB of 1600MHz RAMAn ATX P67 or Z68 motherboard with proper VRM and the features you need (SLI ready or not, # of SATA ports, etc...)A GTX560Ti GPUA Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, or two if you want to have FSX in a separate driveIf you want a faster drive for FSX you can pick a Vrap 600GB or a 120GB + SSD insteadA good quality 500 - 600W PSU (Corsair, Seasonic...) for a single GPU setup, 750 - 850W if you want to be covered for SLIA Corsair, Cooler Master, Lian-Li, Silverstone, Antec... mid-tower or full-tower for a case
Ill check it out thanks. Anyone else have some input or suggested builds they like? (1500-2000 dollars) Thanks