Sign in to follow this  
Phil S

ATC Question

Hi, I'm not quite ready to join a virtual airline but I would like to enjoy a more real ATC environment in FSX. What is the best full featured ATC payware to enjoy a more real life like experience? Thanks for your recommendations. Phil

I use Radar Contact which is a lot better than the default, there is also ProFlightEmulator and VOXATC about. I looked at both of those but felt that Radar Contact was better for me, no complaints since, I either use Radar Contact or nothing.. .. .. Probably worth doing a search on YouTube and seeing what you like the look/sound of !! G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

If you are looking for realistic interaction with ATC, I would highly recommend staying away from anything that uses voice recognition or any kind of synthetic ATC product. I have to agree with Johan's recommendation. VATSIM/IVAO cover the whole planet and would be the right choice for most simmers, espcially if you're just getting started with ATC interaction. PilotEdge is aimed primarily at real world pilots or sim enthusiasts who are looking for top of the line fidelity and ATC availability and are happy to pay for it.

Keith Smith

PilotEdge Founder

ASEL (instrument)

Lancair 360

Am I right in thinking that using VATSIM you need to complete your flight in one session with no time compression or pause ??G

Am I right in thinking that using VATSIM you need to complete your flight in one session with no time compression or pause ?? G
Yes. If you're doing a LOOOOONG flight, such as KEWR-EGKK, you can ask the controller to see if you can enable at least 8x regular time speed, but, in reality, why are you doing a "Cross the Pond" flight if you don't intend to stay throughout the whole thing?

Pausing is common place on most online networks. Just let the controller know what you need to do ahead of time, it's almost never a problem unless you're on final with someone behind you, or on an congested airway with someone behind you.

Keith Smith

PilotEdge Founder

ASEL (instrument)

Lancair 360

You can disconnect and pause and then unpause and reconnect as well ... although I wouldnt do it on an approach or departure or anything like that. Only on cruise.

Yes. If you're doing a LOOOOONG flight, such as KEWR-EGKK, you can ask the controller to see if you can enable at least 8x regular time speed, but, in reality, why are you doing a "Cross the Pond" flight if you don't intend to stay throughout the whole thing?
Why on earth would anyone want to sit through the full flight at 1x ??
You can disconnect and pause and then unpause and reconnect as well ... although I wouldnt do it on an approach or departure or anything like that. Only on cruise.
In all fairness that is what I do with Radar Contact as well, I only use that option at cruise height - same with using time compression.. .. .. G

In real life, do pilots have a 8x button?
No, but in RL they also have a co-pilot AND they don't have disturbances from the kids / missus / dog. In RL I would be more than happy to spend my working time watching the Atlantic slip by 35000 ft below, but we are not talking about RL and not everyone has the free time (or patience) to sit for long enough to do long haul flights at 1x. G

I think what he's trying to say is that it wouldnt really be much of a long haul if you run the sim at 8x the speed. Why not just fly a 1 hour hop or whatever instead if you dont have the time to do a full 8 hour flight from Munich to New York

I think what he's trying to say is that it wouldnt really be much of a long haul if you run the sim at 8x the speed. Why not just fly a 1 hour hop or whatever instead if you dont have the time to do a full 8 hour flight from Munich to New York
1 Hour hop - luxury. I pretty much get time to get started up, then up to cruise altitude and then have to stop for one reason or another - it would probably help not starting and finishing cold & dark, but for me that is half the fun. But seriously - does anyone actually do a 8 hour flight AT the computer (not starting it then walking off until they are ready to start descend).. .. G

1 Hour hop - luxury. I pretty much get time to get started up, then up to cruise altitude and then have to stop for one reason or another - it would probably help not starting and finishing cold & dark, but for me that is half the fun. But seriously - does anyone actually do a 8 hour flight AT the computer (not starting it then walking off until they are ready to start descend).. .. G
I'd give PE a try... I, too have a little one and unless I wait until late night to fly I might have 45 min here, 1 hr there, 30 min there to make a flight. PE guarantees you talk to a human on every frequency (except unicom/ctaf duhh). The hours are good but based on US time so you might have more of an issue.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

But seriously - does anyone actually do a 8 hour flight AT the computer (not starting it then walking off until they are ready to start descend).. .. G
I've seen quite some people on Vataware that do the whole thing.... Check out this video
But like Johan said, you could do a much shorter flight, such as Newark to Talahassee, or Houston to Dallas, etc.