Sign in to follow this  
Goair-18

High quality PMDG aircraft but cant do the simplest thing!

Ok before i start i have the upmost respect for PMDG, So i dont get to fly alot, but today i decided to do a 2.5 hour flight, whilst in the cruise i decided to minamize the screen as i was going to watch a movie with the other half on my dvd player. After the film i knew it was nearly TOD. So decided to maximise screen only to find no cockpit, couldnt change views, all i could see is outside scenery, after 3 atempts of changing views fsx crashed. This has happend 4 times before, you change screen size and the ngx doesnt like it. I realy like fsx, but its things like this that put me off it and make me load the xbox 360 up.Has anyone else had this problem with changing from full screen to a screen where you can see the desktop?? Thanks Danny.

Hi,I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot miniize (to the tray) FSX. It will definitely cause problems. You may not even be able to have it respond to maximize at all. The most you should do is window it. Even then, you need to be careful what you open, as FSX seems to want all the memory it can find.

Hi,I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot miniize (to the tray) FSX. It will definitely cause problems. You may not even be able to have it respond to maximize at all. The most you should do is window it. Even then, you need to be careful what you open, as FSX seems to want all the memory it can find.
It's not that you can't minimize it, you just can't when it's in fullscreen mode as it has issues resuming. I run mine in maximized windowed mode all the time and minimize it in cruise to look at charts and do other work and I can always pull it back up in an instant for something like a .contactme on VATSIM or something.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

I used to switch between full screen and windowed all the time. Dont really have the need anymore but it's system specific, not really PMDGs fault. It's true that messing with FS when it's in full screen is very risky.

Noah Bryant

What you experience is not an problem with the aircraft but with FSX. It happens with other more demanding aircraft as well and might have to do with a spike in video memory consumption. The simple solution: don't minimize FSX and avoid switching back and forth between windowed and full screen mode. If you want to relieve the graphics card of the strain of rendering the visuals just put an Explorer window on top of it.

I find that when I alt-tab out of FSX in full screen mode the best way to get back to it is to click the task bar icon and then hit alt-enter to toggle to windowed. You should then get a normal windowed screen that you can alt-enter again to go to full screen. Another solution is to use an iPad to read charts etc...

Jeff Hunter

Is it really that critical to use fullscreen mode? I mean you're sorta cross-sheeting your jib using full-screen in the midst of all those task switches. Why not just run windowed & have ready access to your desktop/start menu anytime you want?

Is it really that critical to use fullscreen mode? I mean you're sorta cross-sheeting your jib using full-screen in the midst of all those task switches. Why not just run windowed & have ready access to your desktop/start menu anytime you want?
Amen!

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

With my old system I would switch to full screen during approach for the increased FPS. It would take me from about 15-19 fps at complex airports.

Noah Bryant

On a serious note it really is not a good idea to run fsx in window mode. I understand alot of you do for other reasons but this does cause issues within fsx full stop. For example scenery confliction and texture dissapearance. If you have any aerosoft scenery in then you will know what i mean.. best to use a second monitor my friends

second monitor is useless virtually when in full screen mode, cant run any stand alone apps such as EFB or FSC because FSX takes control of the second monitor and it blanks it out, you can only move stuff across to the second monitor if its running within FSX, its really a really dumb way to program it

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Don't blame PMDG, blame FSX. The windowed mode crash is a special bonus from ACES.

I wish they would get together and make SP3 for FSX, hell id pay $100 for that alone

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

oh yes it is. i'm using 3 x19 inch monitors (matrox Triple Head) and TrackIR. With fullscreen mode i am INSIDE the VC, windowed mode would mean a considerable loss of the immersion factor. back to topic:the safest way to get to your desktop i found is to press the ALT key. select VIEW and unselect FULL SCREEN, then minimize Returning to FSX again by ALT-TAB selecting the program and then either be very patient for the simulation to return of press ALT-ENTER, it usually responds a bit quicker Nevertheless, there is always a risk of crash/freeze involved, best is to be patient instead of nervously clicking or pressing keys,

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable