Sign in to follow this  
doruks

Phenom II 955 BE vs intel SB 2600K

Hello,I have a phenom 955 running at 3.8 Ghz which gives me decent performance with FSX. But with heavy traffic and cloudy weather over busy areas, it starts to stutter, not that I care about fps numbers but to give you an idea it settles around 10-11 fps.If I upgrade to a SB 2600K and say I oc it to 4.5, do you think the performance gain would be worth the money? I wonder if anyone done this exact upgrade before and what were the results.I just don't want to end up with a little gain after I spend half a grand. :)Thank you,Doruk

Well, IMO yes. It depends how you want to be flying. In most areas (not too busy, GA fields) I can get a solid 60FPS with fairly high settings, maybe not by your standards. So yes but if you can stand waiting, wait for Ivy Bridge.

You just need a 2500K and a decent P67 board. That can be had for $300 - $400 and once overclocked should be almost twice as fast

Well, IMO yes. It depends how you want to be flying. In most areas (not too busy, GA fields) I can get a solid 60FPS with fairly high settings, maybe not by your standards. So yes but if you can stand waiting, wait for Ivy Bridge.
Speaking of Ivy Bridge, do you have any idea of when it should be released?

November this year IF there is no delay.... http://www.guru3d.co...nsive-than-x58/
That's not Ivy Bridge Alain!That's X79 / Sandy Bridge-E, what I suggested you to get in the other thread I think IB is projected for Q2 2012 or something like that

March or April, I think. Ivy Bridge looks to be pretty amazing, but Sandy Bridge has already proven itself to be such a worthy upgrade that I can't say it's worth it to wait until March or April. That's a pretty long wait - especially if it gets delayed. 2500K will run you about $180 to $220 Decent P67 or Z68 board will run anywhere between $130 and $200.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

the SB will give much much better performance then the phenom.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

That's not Ivy Bridge Alain!That's X79 / Sandy Bridge-E, what I suggested you to get in the other thread I think IB is projected for Q2 2012 or something like that
You'r right, I don't know what I was thinking....

You were probably thinking about FSX SP3, Alain. Oops, sorry. I mean MS Flight LOL.gif

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png