Sign in to follow this  
ljfitzy

Is it possible to complete a flight in the NGX with default fs ATC?

Hey all,Still trying to work this out but, how can I do a flight with the default ATC when the FMC wants me follow a STAR, but the ATC wants me turn away from where the plan is? It won't let me fly a star?Secondly, when the plane approaches t/d and passes t/d how come the FMC didn't follow the decent plan? But even if it did ATC would tell me I'm below my altitude? It kept maintaining cruise ??I think I'm struggling with calculating decent points and getting to certain levels at certain time!

On the td question, are you dialing a lower altitude on the mcp? You have to do this to gie the aircraft "permission" to descend.As for fsx ignoring stars, it doesn't know they exist. You could probably set up an fsx flight plan with the star waypoints added manually.The default atc is pretty crummy for advanced addons like the ngx.

Yeah I guess I could at them manually, but that doesn't help them cancelling myIFR flight plan on me when I ignore other instructions? Especially when I need to maintain certain headings and altitudes to follow what it is!No I didn't adjust the Lower altitude, should I do this in line with what the FMC says, eg if the next waypoints after td Is say 28560 feet, should I dial this in the MCP? Again ATC will tell me off,Is there anyway I can fix this AtC issue? Like a better pack for example? One that recognises SIDS and STARS? It looked like Tom in his tute had a pretty advanced one?

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with how the default ATC doesn't seemingly follow any kind of SIDS or STARS. There is not fix that you can do to the default ATC. I looked at this more realistic ATC for Flight Simulator called Radar Contact at http://www.jdtllc.com/ . It offers a more robust experience, but no mention if if directs you along actually departure and arrival paths. I've just acted like it was the ATC having to redirect the arrivals based on changing traffic and weather. :D

If you want to fly your own SID's and STAR's you'll need to choose an add-on ATC program such as Radar Contact, VoxATC or PFE. I'm a RC user however I'm going to look at VoxATC as the latest version uses the Navigraph AIRAC database (same as the NGX) and automatically assigns a SID or STAR depending on the active runway and your planned route. You can also add commercial text to speech voice packs which are superb quality (although not cheap). You can fly your own SID's and STAR's in RC but the mechanism is less 'realistic'. Radar Contact 5 has been at vapourware status since at least 2009 and I've lost patience.VoATC also supports VFR flying which RC does not.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with how the default ATC doesn't seemingly follow any kind of SIDS or STARS. There is not fix that you can do to the default ATC. I looked at this more realistic ATC for Flight Simulator called Radar Contact at http://www.jdtllc.com/ . It offers a more robust experience, but no mention if if directs you along actually departure and arrival paths. I've just acted like it was the ATC having to redirect the arrivals based on changing traffic and weather. :D
You can select an option before starting the RC flight that tells it to let you fly your own SID otherwise it will just vector you to the first waypoint on your route 30nm out. You can also select a 'visual approach' near your destination airport which will allow you to fly a STAR.

If you have chosen the PMDG 737NGX for its realism, and to perform advanced flights and procedures, then you will find any Automated Software programnmed ATC a let down and a dissapointing experience. A far better experince can be obtained talking to REAL HUMAN Controllers, as experienced on Vatsim, ICAO , FSMP or BVATC. It's really a no brainer.

Hey all, Still trying to work this out but, how can I do a flight with the default ATC when the FMC wants me follow a STAR, but the ATC wants me turn away from where the plan is? It won't let me fly a star? Secondly, when the plane approaches t/d and passes t/d how come the FMC didn't follow the decent plan? But even if it did ATC would tell me I'm below my altitude? It kept maintaining cruise ?? I think I'm struggling with calculating decent points and getting to certain levels at certain time!
You sure should use a 3rd party ATC that would support what you looking for.at this point there are three major products for that, all with Pros and Cons.check out the following thread I addressing the pros and cons of some of the products. http://forum.avsim.n...628-pfe-or-rc4/

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

If you're not a purist you can use the default ATC in VFR mode. That way you'll be able to fly the full SIDs and STARs in LNAV+VNAV and still interact with the ATC for takeoff and landing clearances. You'll also get the flight following and the radio chatter corresponding to the AI airplanes.For the approach in case you're using a weather generator and FSX doesn't grant you the runway you have chosen, just acknowledge and go on with your selected pattern. When you're on final you'll get the opportunity to "[request another runway from the controller]" and be granted the runway you're landing on.You might object that if the weather is bad and the airports are IFR only then you're stuck with the default vectoring. Well that's not completely true if you own the "EFB" add-on. Within EFB you can switch the FSX ATC between VFR and IFR on the fly. So you can start an approach in bad weather (with the ATC in VFR) and rely on the FMC for most of the descent. Then you switch to IFR and can get the clearance from FSX. I've already tried that, but I did the switching around 10000 and let FSX vector me to final in HDG+VS. I don't know if it's possible to carry on to the end of the STAR and then switch with the FSX ATC in IFR just "validating" the final approach. Anyway "winter is coming" so we should be able to try that soon enough ;) Happy flying,David

Hey all, Still trying to work this out but, how can I do a flight with the default ATC when the FMC wants me follow a STAR, but the ATC wants me turn away from where the plan is? It won't let me fly a star? Secondly, when the plane approaches t/d and passes t/d how come the FMC didn't follow the decent plan? But even if it did ATC would tell me I'm below my altitude? It kept maintaining cruise ?? I think I'm struggling with calculating decent points and getting to certain levels at certain time!
Yes - just dont use the FMC - just set up the autopilot based on what ATC tells you and fly it that way without any use for the FMC.

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

You can use the FMC, just let ATC vector you after takeoff and through the descent/approach phases. The FMC can handle everything in-between.......Some of the time I use Radar Contact the same way, sometimes I use it with SIDS/STARS. The alternative would be to "cheat" and use VFR...G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Adding a STAR to FSX flight plans won't cut it, by the way. It will eventually vecotr yout on whatever path to whatever points it has programmed. If you're lucky, it will be close to the STAR and you can follow it anyway, but by and large FSX not so much on ATC. I've largely stopped using it.

Many guys are still hunting the FSX ATC programmer. Once found I bet he will have 10 to 15 really bad minutes.

Many guys are still hunting the FSX ATC programmer. Once found I bet he will have 10 to 15 really bad minutes.
He was working on the UK's NHS project until recently.

You'll never catch him, he will just zigzag away!G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron