Sign in to follow this  
denver69

ASE visibility and cloud draw issue

Hi, I just bought ASE to go along with REX for FSX. I am a long time user of AS6.5 for fs9. I have just installed FSX on my new computer. I am having a long time issue that I used to have with fs9 but that which as6.5 fixed for me, but it exists now in FSX. This is a 2fold problem. The first issue is that when I reduce visibility in ASE, the visibility reduces as far as ground textures go but I can see all the way to the horizon, or see the ugly sharp horizon. It does not matter how low I turn it, I can still see the horizon, very ugly. I was able to get the most incredible realistic haze layer depicted in fs9 no matter what the time of day. I was also able to blend the limit of the cloud draw into the haze so it was unnoticable. This is my second issue I am having now and is noticable with the cirrus clouds. I can see the area where they end all around me. There is an ugly area of perpetual blue sky from where the cirrus deck ends and the horizon line. This is just unnaceptable to me for flight so far. My settings in ASE are disable fs haze layer (maybe I will try unchecking this but I hate that depiction), I have visibility grad checked and a lower vis of 9-30nm below variouse altitudes I have tryed and 59 above. Problem is with the visibility rendering that used to happen in fs9 is back now in FSX. I forget how to solve this. ThanksMy setting for cloud draw distance is now 60. It used to be all the way up but that did not make any difference on noticing where they end.

So I solved part of the problem with the visibility not rendering. In REX i forgot to disable the use station metar for visibility check box. I can probably now solve the cloud draw issue with visibility now. Why the heck did fs render the high clouds in this terrible way. What it seems they did is not make the horizon go out far enough and this is what causes this. It is not the clouds that do not go out far enough it is the earth! Is there a majic cfg file entry i can make here for this?

Hi Marc, I'm not sure exactly what you are experiencing (a screenshot would help) but it sounds like an issue with your installed sky color graphics set not giving you the results you expect. You mention visibility is always reduced but you can still see a horizon... this may be the color difference assigned for that sky color set which would be normal, and cured possibly by using different sky color sets.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Here is a screenshot of what I mean. I still have not been able to make cirrus textures go all the way to the horizon. The sky actually changes color at this line leading me to believe that there is a radius of textures that change in detail and this may be able to be edited in the config file somewhere. This happens with all cirrus themes from anybody as well as all sky themes. I have cloud draw distance all the way up. In fact every slider I have is maxed and the sim runs great. This just drives me nuts though.Its hard to see in the screenshot and it looks like haze due to the size of the picture but believe me when you look at it on a 22" monitor it is a very apparent line of ending sky/cirrus textures.Thanks