Sign in to follow this  
ehasanov1

FS9:ASE sudden weather change

HiI had problems with sudden weather change during flight.I didn't tested with latest interim update (no time)Which setting in ASE is crucial to prevent this?I'm using fs9.Thanks. Edin Hasanovic

Hello Edin,Please make sure suppression is enabled and experiment with the suppression range. Depending on the area, 150-200nm will work best to prevent "shifts".

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks Damian.I think I have 200nm suppression enabled. Will try tonight and report. Edin Hasanovic

Hi Edin,Definitely try 150, we had a user in the past week eliminate his problems in his home area with this change (from 200).

Damian Clark

Hi Damian.I tested with suppression range 150nm. Same problem. I have sudden clouds change. For example I have cloud configuration A. Suddenly clouds configuration changes to almost clear sky. Then after few minute clouds reappears again in almost the same config as before (Config A). During descent again, I have clouds coverage then suddenly clouds disappear and after few minute re-appear.What should I check in ASE /FSUIPC config?Thanks P.S. I tested on route with distance around 325nm Edin Hasanovic

I've always had cloud popping in ASA/ASE in FS9, regardless of my suppression range.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hi again,Please try 50 mile suppression range. I was mistaken about the recent user who had a big improvement at 150miles.. it was actually 50 miles. This depends on the area of flight and the density of weather stations. Does this make any difference? Gavin, I'm not sure you're describing the same thing as the OP. "cloud popping" could indicate normal FS behavior with graphics (depends on resources and settings). The OP here is indicating the the skies clear for minutes at a time then after a few minutes turn back to how they should be, which indicate unexpected results with the suppression system. If you'd like support on your "cloud popping" issue please open a new thread with specifics. Thanks!

Damian Clark

Thanks Damian.Will try with 50 miles.What about suppression ceiling.? Should I put something there.Thanks Edin Hasanovic

Hi, Suppression ceiling should be set at an altitude below your cruise altitude. Updates below this altitude will not occur to prevent any performance issues on approach, for example. One thing to remember though is that while updates are "suppressed" via the ceiling option, FS has been known to eventually "clear" clouds all on its own since no updates are occurring (bug). So you want to make sure you "climb above" the suppression ceiling within about 10 minutes after departing. A safe setting here would be about 2/3 your cruise altitude. I.e. if you're cruising at 21,000ft, use 14,000ft as your suppression ceiling.

Damian Clark

Gavin, I'm not sure you're describing the same thing as the OP. "cloud popping" could indicate normal FS behavior with graphics (depends on resources and settings). The OP here is indicating the the skies clear for minutes at a time then after a few minutes turn back to how they should be, which indicate unexpected results with the suppression system. If you'd like support on your "cloud popping" issue please open a new thread with specifics. Thanks!
Thanks Damian, I tend to think it's a resources issue. My system is a little old and tired these days.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

HiJust to confirm that I have better results with 50 mile suppression range.Still it is not perfect but it is very good.I didn't use suppression ceiling.I didn't have sudden weather change. Few times I had clouds popping out but far away from my location.ThanksEdin Hasanovic