Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

PMDG_737NGX.DLL CTD - Problem Resolved

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to give everyone an update in regards to my PMDG_737NGX.DLL CTD issue. For those of you following my problem, I'm very happy to announce that its been fixed. Although the cause still remains a mystery, I will continue to try and isolate the cause. It may save others numerous days/hours of frustration trying to find the problem. After spending five days (6 to 8 hours a day) trying to isolate the CTD problem, I finally came to the conclusion that I was unable to find/correct the issue alone. I finally contacted PMDG via a support ticket, something I should of done right from the get-go. To give you an idea on what was involved in trying to isolate the issue and fix the problem, I'll give you the breakdown. 1. Format Both Drives2. Install Windows 73. Install Critical Updates4. Install Drivers5. Install FSX6. Install FSX Service Packs7. Install PMDG's 737NGX This was done numerous (and I mean NUMEROUS) times trying different options along the way, as well as trying various orders of install. That was about five days worth of work, everything I tried failed. I was met with the same PMDG_737NGX.DLL CTD each and every time. It's one thing to spend days upon days, hours upon hours working on ones computer. Its above and beyond customer support when you have a company log onto your computer and spend hours (and I mean HOURS) working out the problem. PMDG's dedicated customer support was absolutely outstanding in correcting the problem. Ryan spent the better part of the day working with me via TeamViewer to Install Windows 7 Service Packs, System Hardware Drivers, FSX, FSX Service Packs and PMDG itself. In the end, the problem was solved. Although Both myself and Ryan were unable to isolate the reason for the problem. One thing is for sure, it wasn't a PMDG issue/problem. I know this because the original PMDG download (the one used during all retries) was used to install the aircraft and it worked, so its a windows problem, corrupted file(s) and/or driver type issue. I know I can be hard/harsh on companies that I purchase from and I may be quick to point a finger when there's a problem. But I also like to think that I'm just as quick to praise those that go above and beyond in both products and customer support. Today I had an opportunity to see first hand the dedication the PMDG team has to its customers, in both support and customer satisfaction. Ryan you have the patients of a saint, and I thank you for taking the time to get me back up and running. Thanks again

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

very glad to hear the good news. been there a couple of times with others things and it always pays to see things thru! I have observed the dedication from Ryan since I started following this sport in 2004 and as soon as you posted that Ryan had taken over your computer I knew that it would be fixed. thanks for keeping us informed. really curious what the root cause was.

Many developers would just make suggestions and defer the final results to the end user. PMDG really took your situation in hand and was committed to resolving your issue. I haven't needed their customer support to date, but I'm glad to know the support will be there if I ever need it.

Glad you got it working Mike. Very impressive one on one support from PMDG. Tim

Hi Everyone, Well, my problem is back. Only this time I'm closer to isolating the problem, The CTD appears to be connected to either the dual (480) video boards and/or the Nvidia (280.26) drivers. Back to testing and trying to track down the problem.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi, Anyone out there using two 480 video boards via surround and is able to run the PMDG 737NGX?. If so, what drivers are you using?. Thanks

Try 275.33http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-275.33-whql-driver.html It works well with my 570's.

Hi, Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Hi, Well, I've now tried a few different sets of drivers. None will allow me to run FSX surround using the PMDG 737NGX without a CTD, all default aircraft as well as the Level-D 767 work fine. I just don't understand this at all, it makes no sense to me. I'm also looking at having to start from scratch, removing one board and reinstalling the drivers back to their original install when the PMDG 737NGX worked, no longer works.

I'm running dual 480s in surround mode with 285.38 Beta drivers. I needed the beta drivers for the Battlefield 3 demo. Before that I'm not sure what version of the driver I had - I think it was something in the 280 series but can't say for sure. Is the CTD immediate on load up or at some length during a flight?

Hi Mike, how are you ? I mean how about your pc issues ? I have been told by a friend that the specific dll you mentioned might be related to 737 activation security checks , I dunno and I may be wrong on that. Just a further info that may be useful to you, I anyway dunno if that's correct or not. Hope this ( if confirmed ) help you to avoid to try drivers and monitor tests that maybe be are not related to the problem you are facing, I repeat, my friend opinion may be wrong.

Hi Mark, I don't know what to make of it, the PMDG 737NGX is the only aircraft that will not work on my system via triple monitor setup using two Nvidia 480GTX video boards. The activation process completed successfully during the initial install, its not asking for an activation anymore so I can't see how that's the problem. FSX just locks up when I try to run the PMDG 737NGX, then CTD.

Hi Mark, I don't know what to make of it, the PMDG 737NGX is the only aircraft that will not work on my system via triple monitor setup using two Nvidia 480GTX video boards. The activation process completed successfully during the initial install, its not asking for an activation anymore so I can't see how that's the problem. FSX just locks up when I try to run the PMDG 737NGX, then CTD.
I can't remember if you've already said this or not, have you tried it with a single card and one monitor? Try each card individually. EDIT: I'm not suggesting this as a final solution, but more of a troubleshooting step. It would eliminate FSX/NGX as the problem's source & point more toward your hardware or configuration.

Hi, It works with one card and one monitor, but if I make the change to two video boards and three monitors it locks up FSX. If I then go back to my original setup of one video board and one monitor it no longer works, I have to reinstall windows.

Wow, so running fsx once with the sli kills your system but it works on a single card. After reinstalling windows but without messing with FSX at all, does your sli-surround setup work initially? At this point just booting to the desktop would work if you have aero enabled, anything with 3d. EDIT: I forgot to ask... On the single card setup, will both cards work when installed one at a time?