Hi, I just brought one of our old PC's back from the dead and will be selling it to someone. Before I do though I want to be sure that it is working to the best of its abilities. I need the drivers for the 8400 GS 256mb for Windows XP 32bit. Bringing it back meant a new HDD and without the GPU drivers it is sooooooooooooo SLOW! It lags when I try and scroll so finding these would be very nice. I have tried the 280.26 drivers but they dont work because of some reason and will not install.

I have seen there but can't find the right one. Most are quadro or forceware, I want GeForce right? The 280s just wont install.

I have tried 258, dont work. I just can't see why they wont install. Its a 8400GS 256mb, XP 32bit.

Try a Manual install method to bypass the nvidia installer. download drivers and put in folder somewhere, maybe desktop.1. Go to Device Manager > select properties of your card > drivers, and select update driver.2. A wizard will ask about connecting to the Internet, select No, not at this time. > next.3. Next window, Don't search, I will choose. next.4. Select have disk. next.5. copy files from > select Browse and point to the folder you created on your desktop before.6. open the folder called Display Driver and there should be the NV4_DISP.INF as set in file name box.( you may have to go through XP and English folders to get here? )7. select open and that should start the install.

Try a Manual install method to bypass the nvidia installer. download drivers and put in folder somewhere, maybe desktop. 1. Go to Device Manager > select properties of your card > drivers, and select update driver.2. A wizard will ask about connecting to the Internet, select No, not at this time. > next.3. Next window, Don't search, I will choose. next.4. Select have disk. next.5. copy files from > select Browse and point to the folder you created on your desktop before.6. open the folder called Display Driver and there should be the NV4_DISP.INF as set in file name box.( you may have to go through XP and English folders to get here? )7. select open and that should start the install.
OK, it did not work. It seems this is more just a problem with getting the drivers on than finding them.

Hi Andrew,sounds frustrating. I assume this is a clean install, as you said you put in new hard drive. Did you run windows update before attempting to install video drivers? If so, it may have attempted to install card drivers. You may find one of the older drivers will install as the link above. Make sure you are running your account as Administrator. ( check in control panel.>user accounts ) sometimes, when doing new install and not setting a password for admin. you can end up with standard user account which can prevent installing software. but it usually informs you if so. 1. make sure all virus monitoring software is turned off and especially things like Afterburner or GPU monitoring software.2. Go into Control Panel > add / remove programs, locate any Nvidia programs to do with video. ( ignore any network or controller ones ) Select each or any of display and remove. After you may be prompted to reboot.3. When rebooting, tap the F8 key and go into 'safe mode' Then go into Device manager, select 'view' tab and select, 'show hidden devices,. What your looking for is any multiple entries for display device, If more than one, select each one and uninstall.If only one, select that and uninstall. Then close and reboot. start normally, windows will discover new device and ask for drivers. Select No.4. ( optional ) Run driversweeper to remove any old drivers ( nvidia graphics ) Make sure again that antivirus is disabled etc. and attempt to install new drivers. 5. A long shot here; create a new user account and give admin rights etc. Try installation within this new account. you can delete it after. can't think of much else at the moment, but here is a guide, mainly for win7 but worth a read. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372&mpage=1 Ron.

Well I am the admin and I am positive no drivers are on at all. So maybe the EVGA forums will help.

I think the problem is I do not have SP3 but I cant find where to obtain it. I think I have the disc somewhere but I have no idea where.