Sign in to follow this  
RogerD

Weather Radar

Is the weather radar functional in this airplane ? I set weather on but never see any changes on screen.

Roger  Deloge :Cuppa:

Hi, it has been discussed many times here..... No, when You press WXR it displays only the range arcs. The Weather Radar is not simulated in the NGX simply because at the moment no wx radar in FSX can be reliable and useful and it will be only a serious waste of time to develop. I repeat, actually it's this way, maybe in the future something can change. smile.png

Exactly what Sebastiano said and if you want a more technical answer i can explain it in more detail.

If you want a weather radar for FSX, there are several things you can do: There are two standalone add on radars you can buy, one from Reality XP and the other from Captain Sim, they both work more or less like a real radar system would as far as controls go, but they are not completely accurate because of the way FSX displays weather, which means a simulated radar cannot detect where stuff is in the sim, but they are better than nothing and have a bit of a stab at trying to show where bad weather is likely to be. The other alternative is to buy one of several CS Boeing aircraft, which have the CS radar built into them and then use the gauge from that, which effectively means you get the CS radar 'for free'. If none of that floats your boat, there are some more realistic options you can take, for example, Active Sky Evolution includes a gauge you can install in your aircraft which snycs up with the real world weather ASE is depicting, and that does show where the rain and storms will be for the most part. REX does a similar sort of thing too, although not from a cockpit gauge. Alternatively, if you get FS Widget's Electronic Flight Bag, that has the capability to download current satellite radar data for rain, icing levels, cloud cover, winds etc, and then display the real satellite radar images in your cockpit and update them every five minutes, and if you are using real world weather, then that will be a genuinely accurate depiction of where the weather is although not from your exact position, although you should be aware that FSW's EFB is not a gauge that can be installed in the cockpit unfortunately, so you can only display it in the cockpit when in windowed mode. Nevertheless, since it can also display flight routing, maps, approach charts and connect to places like Avsim, it is certainly worth checking out, especially if you have something like simplates. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I have the Reality weather radar installed in the J41…a very nice little extra to play with (at first). However, more often than not… began to find it didn’t depict the conditions accurately, so I don’t’ even bother to turn it on anymore… I find it better to print a report from ‘Active Sky’ or I just wear a rain mac when the sky starts to look a bit moody!!!

Is the weather radar functional in this airplane ? I set weather on but never see any changes on screen.
What you see is terrain, but for weather radar there is this thread....http://forum.avsim.net/topic/351012-for-the-2d-lovers-notice-anything-different/ As others have said, it aint perfect but it works, considering we are looking at simulated weather in a simulated plane in a simulated world.

Jay

This poor horse...
You have to remember that people join Avsim all the time and there is occasionally no way a new member can know a subject has been discussed to death numerous times, because the forum search doesn't always find things. Al

Alan Bradbury

Imputing "Radar" in PMDG NGX forum search box, 4th result down,found this,http://forum.avsim.net/topic/351131-how-to-use-wxr/page__hl__radar__fromsearch__1

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Yup, but you've got over 600 posts to your credit and know how to use the forum. Al

Alan Bradbury