Dear all I built a new system 6 months ago; spec is i5 2500K, MSI P67 GD53, 4 gig of ram a 450psu plus my old BFG9800GTX+, W7 64 bit. I overclocked the system from the start, I was able to archive 4.6ghz @ 1.385v, I did try and get 4.8/4.9 with volts up to 1.44 but the system was unstable so I went back down to 4.6ghz. (I was using the Intel-burn test to check stability) at this time I was my problem may be my PSU not being up to the job .System has and still is running fine on CTD, no blue screen and no problem booting, but for some reason I went back and tried the Intel burn test again today and it failed with the system set up in the same way as it was 6 months ago. I put the volts up to 1.395 and I can passed the Intel burn test something and it fails the next time ( this is at 4.6ghz ) when I originally test the system I ran it about 5 or 6 time to make sure all was well.Any help would be great.mark

You may need to adjust the RAM volts and speeds.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Add more Vcore. A processor that was once stable and continually wants more Vcore is degrading. Not much you can do other than drop the clock down and try and prolong its life or keep putting the boots to it until you RMA it. Assuming all other settings are correct. PSU is fine if it is a quality brand but you sure didn't leave yourself much margin for error.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Add more Vcore. A processor that was once stable and continually wants more Vcore is degrading. Not much you can do other than drop the clock down and try and prolong its life or keep putting the boots to it until you RMA it. Assuming all other settings are correct. PSU is fine if it is a quality brand but you sure didn't leave yourself much margin for error.
Damn that's bad a degrading new cpu.

Damn that's bad a degrading new cpu.
One of the inherent risks of overclocking for which we are all suffering from to some extent. Whether your CPU lasts: 5-seconds 5-minutes, 5-weeks, 5-months or 5-years is not determined, however Intel guarantee the processor for 3-years at stock. Intel would have accumulated the most statistical data for them to bet the farm on this 3-year warranty. All that we can assume is that anything greater than stock voltage, statistically (from Intel's perspective) equates to a failure rate significantly less than the 3-years that Intel are willing to hang their hat on. This is why if you are not willing to pay you shouldn't play when it comes to overclocking. Some are willing to assume that risk and smoke a $300 chip while others bank on faith and hope something bad won't happen to their chip. In this case the additional voltage required in itself does not indicate the chip is ruined, simply that it will require more voltage than previous to obtain the same overclock. It may only require that additional voltage for: 5-seconds 5-minutes, 5-weeks, 5-months or 5-years is not determined, before no amount of voltage supports it. This is why you have to understand the concept of overvolting your components and potential consequences. LLC is there for a reason, flip it to high or ultra high or 1-10 or whatever your MB brand dictates, and you are now spiking your chip. You may be able to spike that chip: 5-seconds 5-minutes, 5-weeks, 5-months or 5-years is not determined. Electromigration, look it up: http://en.wikipedia....lectromigration bad for the health of your CPU.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Yeah the silicon degrades when putting in more voltage than stock but may even take few years.

Thanks for your replys guys, not sure what is going on with my system, I did some testing lastnight, I put my BIOS back to optmized defaults turn off the intel EIST & the Intel turbo boost.set clock to 46 and volts to 1.390 plus the ram volts to 1.6. temp are 35 idle and 67/70 when running intel burn test. When I run the Intel burn test I have CPU-z running as well , CPU-z is saying my volts are only 1.385 when I have set 1.390 and when I start the Intel Burn test the volts drop to 1.372 underload is this normal? System passes more times than it dosn't could this have something to do with my PSU, its only a cheap 450w unit ( unbranded) it has to run:- i5 2500K + a hyper 212 plus coller + 4 gig of ram on a MSI GD53 P67 MB plus a 9800GTX+ 2x sata drive 1x SSD 3x 12in case fans in the Z9 plus case. + a Belkin wireless adapter + my Satek yoke and pedels just to add the chip has ever had more than 1.410 volts Mark

Thanks for your replys guys, not sure what is going on with my system, I did some testing lastnight, I put my BIOS back to optmized defaults turn off the intel EIST & the Intel turbo boost.set clock to 46 and volts to 1.390 plus the ram volts to 1.6. temp are 35 idle and 67/70 when running intel burn test. When I run the Intel burn test I have CPU-z running as well , CPU-z is saying my volts are only 1.385 when I have set 1.390 and when I start the Intel Burn test the volts drop to 1.372 underload is this normal? System passes more times than it dosn't could this have something to do with my PSU, its only a cheap 450w unit ( unbranded) it  has to run:- i5 2500K + a hyper 212 plus coller + 4 gig of ram on a MSI GD53 P67 MB plus a 9800GTX+ 2x sata drive 1x SSD 3x 12in case fans in the Z9 plus case. + a  Belkin wireless adapter + my Satek yoke and pedels just to add the chip has ever had more than 1.410 volts Mark
I agree with those who say don't overclock unless you're reconciled to having to buy a new CPU from time to time.However, if you haven't tried it already, you might want to experiment with using "offset" mode. This is more fiddly than the "manual" mode for setting the voltage but, if you can find the magic numbers to get it running stably, it allows the Vcore to come down when the CPU is not working flat out. Eg, my 2600K needs Vcore of ~1.440 to run at 4900MHz (goes up to ~1.464 under Prime 95!). But this falls to ~1.042 when the CPU is idle or running at 1600MHz. So obviously, "offset" reduces the time for which the CPU is exposed to the highest voltages. Hopefully this (somewhat!) extends the life of the chip, but if it's too late for the one you have now, you might want to try it with the next one. TimAnd PS: I suggested in a post yesterday that it would be good to start collecting information about how long our CPUs last, under what voltages - but judging by the lack of response I don't think anybody's interested in that idea.

When I run the Intel burn test I have CPU-z running as well , CPU-z is saying my volts are only 1.385 when I have set 1.390 and when I start the Intel Burn test the volts drop to 1.372 underload is this normal?
Normal.
System passes more times than it dosn't could this have something to do with my PSU, its only a cheap 450w unit ( unbranded)
Right on the very edge, I would expect a hard drive to stop working or a fan to stop running as first sign of insuffcient PSU. Right on the very edge and probably a good idea to get a bigger good quality one 600W
just to add the chip has ever had more than 1.410 volts Mark
Given the chip runs at ~1.0v stock your grasp to hope is fleeing.

Regards,
Gary Andersen