Sign in to follow this  
William J.S.S

Wheel brake broke?

Situation: Was on final at KJAX....everything was going well. I had a full ILS approach lined up. At the last minute I decided to just touch Her down myself, and tapped Z twice. After touchdown, I neglected paying attention to my speed while reverse thrust was on, and when I finally noticed I was at about 50mph....ouch. After disengaging reverse thrust, I noticed that my wheel brake was not working. I mean, I came to a complete stop on the runway pretty much after that, and only noticed that my brake command didn't work when I was trying to slow down at a taxiway to make the turn to the gate. The thing that has me wondering is that I have had pretty hard touchdowns before, being the awesome pilot that I am..and also have made the mistake of not retarding reverse thrust at around 80mph before, and none of this has happened before. I ended up having to taxi to the gate using my reverse thrust to slow down along with way. BUT my parking brake worked just fine at the gate...I think I was going about 5mph at the time and it worked fine. Is this pilot error? Is there a hotkey I may have pressed to deactivate that button? Because I would think that if I did damage my brakes during touchdown and slowing, my parking brakes would be effected also. If anyone has any explanation on this, it would be greatly appreciated.Also, I did have my brake knob set to max....(Sorry, forgot the actual name of it ATM.) Thanks guys...I know this is kind of a crazy post, but just wondering if this is something that other people have done or experienced, or a bug, or just pilot error.... Thanks again.

If you look on your overhead you will probably see the brakes overheat warning. I have had this several times (probably doing something slightly wrong), but it easily fixed by resetting all failures on your FMC. Tony

Thanks guys...I know this is kind of a crazy post, but just wondering if this is something that other people have done or experienced, or a bug, or just pilot error....
Hi William,I have had this problem twice now. Do you have the service based failures turned on? I have, and that's why my brakes broke down. But for me the parking brake didn't work either. All in all you have to taxi very carefully then. But I made it to get the aircraft to the gate safely.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Hello William, I experienced something close to what you had,Few of days back I was taking off on a regular flight and suddenly the warning light and bell went on, it was the wheel well fire warning, I must of forgot the parking brakes on during taxiing (I dont know how?), I also saw at the lower EICAS that the steel breaks temperature is a red 10, so I went through the QRH and didn’t apply the actions really because I realized that the break's temperature was dropping slowly, when I landed I realized immediately that the breaks wasn’t working at all, I went to a stop using reverse thrust, till it actually stopped 3000ft after runway ended, later on I used the maintenance page at the MCDU, the breaks item need maintenance, I applied it and it’s as good as new....It was kind of fun.Regards

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Where exactly the brake temp is being shown ? Does it become hot even if there is no failure enabled within the fmc-options ? Does the steel disc get hot earlier than carbon one but has less braking power ? Thx a lot in advance

Mark, It shows at the lower EICAS panel, you could display the brake temperature and Hydraulic fluid quantity, flight control indicatores and other things, I am not sure if it requires special configuration to show at the MCDU options menu or not. Yes it does and temperature increases with the Steel breaks and lower with Carbon, you can check it after performing multiple brakes when taxiing. It does not have lower braking power but it gets hotter and apparently you will need to replace it sooner, it’s cheaper in cost, however, the main disadvantage is the weight it's much heavier than carbon discs. Regards

Alaa A. Riad

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

This problem usually happens when you're using autobrakes when you turn the knob to the OFF position instead of braking manually to disconnect them.

Mark, It shows at the lower EICAS panel, you could display the brake temperature and Hydraulic fluid quantity, flight control indicatores and other things, I am not sure if it requires special configuration to show at the MCDU options menu or not. Yes it does and temperature increases with the Steel breaks and lower with Carbon, you can check it after performing multiple brakes when taxiing. It does not have lower braking power but it gets hotter and apparently you will need to replace it sooner, it’s cheaper in cost, however, the main disadvantage is the weight it's much heavier than carbon discs. Regards
Thanks a lot in which sector of the EICAS should I look exactly ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EICAS.png

Dear Mark, it's all at FCOMv2, page 7.15.3 # 347Look at the Center Forward Panel, there are two switches labeled ENG & SYS, you have to press ENG twice and SYS once to bring the wheels information into the lower EICAS panel.

Alaa A. Riad

Much appreciated, thnks. I am studying a lot the 737 manuals but after long studying sessions and training sometimes I would need a quick help to pause the study, I play having fun and then back to manuals again. smile.png

Good Luck mark, it's quit a challenge to read 3000+ and apply what you read on a live flight and enjoy it at the same time....:)

Alaa A. Riad