Sign in to follow this  
BadKarmaPT

Could use some help, please!

Hello, Today I finally upgraded my PC but I'm having some trouble getting it to run properly. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and ever since I read I could upgrade without installing everything again, I decided that this was the way I would be doing it... Before doing anything, I created images (in my WD external drive) of all my partitions using Acronis True Image. I then replaced my Asus P5W DH Deluxe with a P8Z68-V Pro.Replaced my Core 2 Quad Q6600 with an i7 2600K.Replaced my 4Gb GSkill Ram sticks with 3x4Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz.Added a Corsair H80 cooling system.Replaced my old HDD with a new WD Black 1Tb SATA III HDD.Replaced my DVD reader with a an LG Blu-Ray Writer.And finally replaced my case with a Cooler Master HAF 922 case. I was pleasently surprised when I pushed the power button and the system came alive.I entered BIOS setup and all components were recognized. I restored the C:\ image I had created before using the True Image boot disk. Now is where my problems start... I got a BSOD as soon as Windows starts to load warning me of possible problems due to hardware changes.I figured I could solve this problem by changing SATA mode from AHCI to IDE in BIOS. Now Windows loaded normally and I was presented with a list of device drivers and controllers being installed.After a few minutes I got the "device ready for use" message in most cases but some displayed error messages. "SM Bus Controller" No Driver Found"Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" Failed"Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" Failed"Ethernet Controller" No Driver Found"PCI Simple Comunications Controller" No Driver Found"Unidentified Device" No Driver Found"Unidentified Device" No Driver Found I noticed I have no access to the Internet (using my laptop now) and my display is set to generic non-PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and I can't get over 1600x1200 when the native resolution is 1920x1200. I used the CD that came with the motherboard and installed the chipset drivers... Should I install anything else from that CD? Should I reinstall the drivers for my GTX470? Two thing caught my attention while looking at the BIOS display: The CHA_FAN1 (450 RPM) and CHA_FAN2 (570 RPM) both display red bars like they're over revving. Is this normal? With a room temperature of 25º C/77º F the CPU is at 43ºC/109ºF and the MB at 36ºC/96ºF. Isn't this a bit high especially with no overclock and using a Corsair H80 cooling system? Thank you in advance and sorry for the long read.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

In order to reliably use AHCI, you need to install your OS with it being activated in BIOS prior to installation. There were some info on the web regarding a registry edit that could prevent the BSODs when switching to AHCI on an existing Windows install, but it isn't stable at all... this leads me to my next point... I NEVER EVER keep the same OS installation when doing a major hardware upgrade (i.e. motherboard/cpu upgrade), this is looking for trouble, drivers conflicts and all that kind of hassle will happen 99.9% of the time, which you seem to be experiencing by the way. Installing Windows 7 ultimate takes about 15 minutes, I would start from scratch if I were you... It's pain having to re-install ALL your softwares afterward but it's really worth the time, you end up with a stable, fast installation. BUT, don't forget to transfer your W7 license before re-installing, otherwise when its time to activate it with the new hardware, it will fail. Retail license transfer procedure can be found on MS website. My 0.02. Cheers!

It's better to uninstall the old drivers and then install the new ones.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Or run Sysprephttp://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html#post1161038

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.Everything seems to be fine now after I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard. No more exclamation marks on Device Manager!Had I known of Sysprep I would probably have used it... Too late now, I guess!Only thing bothering me is the AHCI - IDE issue but as long as it's stable I guess I can live with it.Thanks again!

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Everything seems to be fine now after I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard. No more exclamation marks on Device Manager! Had I known of Sysprep I would probably have used it... Too late now, I guess! Only thing bothering me is the AHCI - IDE issue but as long as it's stable I guess I can live with it. Thanks again!
Well, you can run Sysprep at any time, you'll need to reinstall the chipset drivers and everything else, but it can address the AHCI issue too: http://www.answersth...ows_7_setup.PDF Backup your system before running Sysprep just in case I would not use the drivers in the CD, they may be outdated. Download them from the product's page at the Asus website http://www.asus.es/M...V_PRO/#download

Thank you for your help, dazz. I'm going to let my system run for a few days and see if I run into any kind of trouble, if so then I'll go the "sysprep" way! smile.png I was able to find updated versions of some of the drivers that came with the MB at Asus.com.Thank you for pointing that out. I don't consider myself a newbie when it comes to PC stuff but sometimes the obvious seems to escape me... wink.png Thanks again.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT