Sign in to follow this  
gura75

Localizer during visual

Hi Is it a good idea to use localizer during visual approach? By the way...what about real pilots do they use localizer in order to line up ? Or should visual approach be performed solely based on visual observation. Sincerely

Hi there, Well you don't have to use the LOC and G/S, but we use these to as a guidance during a visual approach, although there are some minima to make a Visual Approach. :) When lining up, you want the Centerline to be on your bottom. ;) Visual App, you'll look out and use the PAPI (precision approach path indicator) aka VASIS (Visual approach slope indicator system), that will guide you down to the runway at an angle of 3 degrees, when lined up correctly on the PAPI you will have 2 white dots and 2 red dots. 3 and 4 red dots you're to low and white to high. Hope that would help on your way ;) // Jakob PS: here is a link to how PAPI looks from a pilots view.http://www.flightlight.com/airportlighting/4.0/pilots_view_HR.jpg

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

As a quick pointout, ATC, even after saying "expect the visual approach" can and will (at some airports) say "fly heading [xxx], intercept the LOC." They do this to line everyone up in a nice line, instead of issuing everyone vectors and corrections. At larger airports, where they'll make that line extend out to 20nm, it helps to establish an arrival stream to the runway without the pilots having the airport in sight so far out. As far as the piloting side goes, if you're cleared for the visual, you are certainly welcome to use APP modes to get you established, but I take a different approach to it. The sooner I pull the A/P off, the sooner I regain my feel for the aircraft, so I can properly fly it down to a landing. If you pop off the A/P too late, you may not have adequate time to "calibrate" your hand, so to speak. I'll still use the signals from the LOC and G/S as guides, but I'm handflying that.

Kyle Rodgers

Along the same lines, even if there's not an ILS I often set up the GPS with a RNAV approach and leave it in the vectors mode. This can be a really big help when landing at an unfamiliar airfield or on the lazy hazy days of summer with the sun in your eyes.

Dan Downs KCRP

Along the same lines, even if there's not an ILS I often set up the GPS with a RNAV approach and leave it in the vectors mode. This can be a really big help when landing at an unfamiliar airfield or on the lazy hazy days of summer with the sun in your eyes.
This is the number 1 reason I will dial in an approach even in 10/CLR wx. Also, as Kyle pointed out, ATC will throw curveballs. Been told to expect the visual on a few occasions, and either due to traffic saturation, or simply visibility dropped, was "Cleared XXX approach". Only reason I could execute was that I thought ahead and briefed it. On a side note, another reason I would recommend it, is that you lose the 3-D perspective (i.e. a significant amount of depth perception) looking out the window at a 2-D LCD panel. Using the LOC will help reinforce what "it should look like" on your monitor/perspective and help you gain that "feel".

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Hello Dan,Good to hear from you again. It had been a long time.Bruno