Sign in to follow this  
jacock01

XP 64bit or Win 7 64bit

I currently run XP 32bit and am considering changing to a 64bit OS.What I would like to know, is what is the advantage of running eitherFS9 or FSX under Win 7 64bit as opposed to XP 64bit. withwi n with b I'm running on a ore 2 Extreme QX6850 processor, BFG 8800 GTS OC640MB video card. --Jim

XP64 is no longer supported. Some NVidia drivers have issues with XP64. W764 is stable and handles background tasks better resulting in better operation of FSX.I have both systems and W7 is far better. Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

XP64 is outdated OS, in a day, You will notice, nobody have the drivers for it. It does not support DX11, looks ugly, memory managment is fair better in W7......I can't see right now any advantage of XP vs W7, the size on disk probably is the only thing older OS wins

HelloI am on Windows 7 64 at the moment, but I loved my time on XP64, rock solid and easy to work with.Probably my favourite OS ever.

Guest firehawk44
HelloI am on Windows 7 64 at the moment, but I loved my time on XP64, rock solid and easy to work with.Probably my favourite OS ever.
LOL! I remember the days when XP was the latest OS and there were thousands of issues with it and many people really hated it. Over time, Microsoft has worked out most issues with XP and it has matured into a good (not great) OS. The later OS's, like Windows 7 have gained on the problems when XP was king with many additional improvements. For instance, the Event Viewer provides more info on what crashed your system and you have a UAC to make sure you don't get something installed by an evil person. It's becoming more user friendly. You just have to get use to the new OS's. I think it's fun to learn even if your system crashes. To try to find out "who done it" is absolutely fun especially with the built in tools and, of course, Google/Bing search engines. It was much more difficult to do that back in the XP days. Best regards,Jim

Windows 7 64Bit is by far the best OS I've used by Microsoft and I've used them all. I echo the sentiment here that you should go with W7 64bit.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

You W7 users fail to mention the XP platform doesnt have all the security crap built into it therefore make it a better platform for gaming. For your home or business, internet, MS office etc users. Yes W7 is good. As far as drivers. I have never not been able to find XP drivers and will be available until the demise of the desktop occurs, which is happening as we speak. Most serious gamers prefer XP. for its ease of use of file systems. I run games in both XP64 and W764. and see no performance differences.
perhaps but it depends on what games you play and the capabilities of your video card.though FSX is DirectX 10, more and more recent games are DirectX 11 which is not supported on XP x86/x64.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_11