Sign in to follow this  
amorris

Can you start a log after opening a saved file?

I'm having a problem with either REX or RC4. On my last flight, from Chicago to Omaha, RC simply stopped working about 70 miles out. I noticed that the distance to the next waypoint was remaining constant, so I paused FSX and moved the mouse down to the bottom of the screen to click on the RC icon and open the RC window, but it was gone. Evidently, the program had just shut down. This all happened soon after a REX weather update. I have been having trouble with REX and I suspect REX, but I don't know how to nail down the culprit. My question: I periodically saved the flight using RC's CS; command. Would it be helpful to press Debug and start up a log from the last saved flight? Would appreciate any help. Alan

it probably could be done, but it would be much more useful to have the complete log, of a new flight jd

Is this problem exclusive to this plan? Did it happen during a frequency/controller switch? A complete log will tell all since it includes your plan and setup info. I also suggest you rename the log file as soon as RC shuts down so it does not get overwritten. I also suggest you alt-tab to see if any error messages are underlying any other windows. Was the flight plan created or edited in REX2 or FSX or other. Does REX use Sim Connect directly? See if any FSUIPC4/RC time-out messages are appearing. Also see this thread on antivirus/security applications shutting down RC after a few minutes: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/100174-error-75-radar-contact-and-kapersky-and-norton/

Ronzie, thanks for the reply. I answered all your questions that I could answer. Your questions (bold) and my replies are provided below.

Is this problem exclusive to this plan? Did it happen during a frequency/controller switch? No, it has happened with other plans. A complete log will tell all since it includes your plan and setup info. I also suggest you rename the log file as soon as RC shuts down so it does not get overwritten. I also suggest you alt-tab to see if any error messages are underlying any other windows. I will try the same plan (in full) again hopefully tonight. RC did leave an error message, but I cannot remember what it was. If it happens again I will record the error message and will check for other error messages. Was the flight plan created or edited in REX2 or FSX or other. The flight plan was created in FSBuild. Does REX use Sim Connect directly? See if any FSUIPC4/RC time-out messages are appearing. I do not know how REX works. I wish I remembered what the error message said. Also see this thread on antivirus/security applications shutting down RC after a few minutes: http://forum.avsim.n...sky-and-norton/ I use AVG for security, and had no problems with RC shutting down before using REX.
If I get the opportunity to fly tonight I will use the same plan and use REX the same way and see what happens. Of course, I will also open a RC log. Appreciate the assistance. Alan

Well, tried to fly the plan twice last night, but both times AI got between me and the runway and would not move, so I could not even take off. Got so frustrated I gave it up. That has never happened before. Anyway, will try again tonight. I read somewhere that to remove AI you could pause then move the traffic sliders to zero, and the AI would be gone. I'll try it. Alan

Hi. If that doesn't work, increasing the sim-rate to 8× or 16× will do the job. Be aware that you'll need to pause before the increase or you may miss orders from ground or tower. Try: P, Alt+O, M, 8, Alt+O, M, N, P (pause... 8× simrate... standard simrate... un-pause). That removes all AI for a short duration. It is regenerated gradually when you restore the normal sim rate but, in my experience, never on the runway or on approach. I find it very useful for zapping AI that's dawdling in front of me, on the ground or in the air, and so far it's had no adverse effect on the operation of RC. Regards,D

Hi. If that doesn't work, increasing the sim-rate to 8× or 16× will do the job. Be aware that you'll need to pause before the increase or you may miss orders from ground or tower. Try: P, Alt+O, M, 8, Alt+O, M, N, P (pause... 8× simrate... standard simrate... un-pause). That removes all AI for a short duration. It is regenerated gradually when you restore the normal sim rate but, in my experience, never on the runway or on approach. I find it very useful for zapping AI that's dawdling in front of me, on the ground or in the air, and so far it's had no adverse effect on the operation of RC.
Dave, thanks much. Looks like a neat trick. Alan

Well, tried to fly the plan twice last night, but both times AI got between me and the runway and would not move, so I could not even take off.
I have a different solution when this happens. if you have a registered copy of FSUIPC you can program a button to 'delete' an Ai aircraft directly ahead of you. There's a command named Traffic Zapper and it's very satisfying to remove obstinate aircraft from a taxiway, a stand or the runway itself.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Another way is to advance the FS time of day by two minutes and all AI will refresh. In a registered FSUIPC you can also create a hot key to refresh all AI by toggling AI to a preset value of 0 and then back to a preset value of your choice.

Flew the same route (Chicago to Omaha) again tonight (finally didn't get stuck behind AI), and the same thing happened but at a different point. This time RC quit communicating with me while I was on 5-mile final. Never got clearance to land. Clicked on RC icon at bottom of the screen and got "Runtime Error 52 Bad file name or number." Will send JD the log.