Sign in to follow this  

Wind @ 79, am I the only one ?

I use REX weather and also FSX real time updates and yesterday I flew to Zurich. 85% of my flight landing included I had a cross wind of 79 knots......of course I crashed during landing. Is it this wind speed quite crazy and unreal ? Am I the only one to have such wind speed ? I am disappointed against REX or FSX.

79 kts was definitely to much. Wind graph from yesterday at LSZH:
Those are SURFACE winds. The winds, even a few 1000ft above surface were probably considerably highter, with significant wind shear.

Of course these are winds on ground. But Mark wrote "landing included I had a cross wind of 79 knots" wink.png

Actually it was windy yesterday. Station on a hill south of LSZH, these speeds are kph, not kts.

Of course these are winds on ground. But Mark wrote "landing included I had a cross wind of 79 knots" wink.png
OK, I'll bite .. First : How did he KNOW he had a 79 Knot cross wind when he landed.What has telling him that ? . Something in his plane ? FSX ? As he was decending before landing, what were the winds he was passing through, and how fast was the potentially SMOOTHED wind speed indiactor he was using, changing to follow the actual wind instantaneous wind speeds. ? Quite apart from that -- why did he even attempt to land in a reported 79 knot Cross Wind, and did he really think he stood any chance of not crashing !!! LMAO.gifLMAO.gif

Quite apart from that -- why did he even attempt to land in a reported 79 knot Cross Wind, and did he really think he stood any chance of not crashing !!! LMAO.gifLMAO.gif
THAT`s the big question. smile.png

Actually it was windy yesterday. Station on a hill south of LSZH, these speeds are kph, not kts.
For Reference: 79 Knots = 146 kph 79 kph = 43 Knots It's real important to know what Units one is talking about !!!

I see some strange effects with REX as well. At altitude it often gives me rhythmical fluctuations of about 30-40 knots, jumping between the two extremes every second or so. It's very irritating.

OK, I'll bite .. First : How did he KNOW he had a 79 Knot cross wind when he landed.What has telling him that ? . Something in his plane ? FSX ?
Maybe because the NGX displays the wind speed and direction in the upper left corner of the moving map screen and because the FMC provides the calculated wind components?

I used to use rex weather but found it more trouble than it was worth, now switched to ase and use rex as my texture

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I had some strange winds as well the other day. They were 46 knots at the surface, about twice what should have been. I use ASE on a remote machine. We know there is a simconnect issue with the NGX from Aivliasoft's EFB that will not display VATSIM traffic when flying in the NGX. Maybe ASE is having trouble as well?

I had some strange winds as well the other day. They were 46 knots at the surface, about twice what should have been. I use ASE on a remote machine. We know there is a simconnect issue with the NGX from Aivliasoft's EFB that will not display VATSIM traffic when flying in the NGX. Maybe ASE is having trouble as well?
Hopefully that will be fixed in SP1, or at least, some way provided to reduce the 737NGX's simconnect load on FSX, so other addons can stand some chance of operating.

I see some strange effects with REX as well. At altitude it often gives me rhythmical fluctuations of about 30-40 knots, jumping between the two extremes every second or so. It's very irritating.
Exactly what I have every now and then using REX, abrubt fluctuations that can last for dozens of minutes both when flying @ FL340 and also when landing. I had 79 indicated on my main EFIS I think it's called, the one where you see the arrow showing the wind direction and its speed. Of course if it was reality I would have never tried to land but being a simulation I tried.....and failed. The main cause of the failing was not the super heavy cross wind, you can somehow deal with it but the fluctuations given a bug of REX as the quoted poster pointed out. If there was no fluctuations, and I mean around 50-75 knots of plane speed up and down per second, I think I would had a chance because the LOC was flying the plane just inclined of roughly 45° against the runway since a while so I knew how to proceed, more or less.

@Mark: Did you use the REX weather engine, or the one implemented in FSX?

Yes. SP1, I hope simconnect issues are dealt with. I am not currently flying the NGX. The combination of freezes, simconnect issues and S turns is too much for me.