Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Components to share an i-net access via WLAN?!

HI guys,I´m having an iPhone now since some time and I mostly surf the net with it while flying greater distance. But this currently only goes over UMTS and it therefore somehow slow and will eat my bandwith. So I thought about adding a PCI card or something else to my computer/internet access which allows me wo make a WLAN network in my room. Normally I would use our router (which has a WLAN function) but it´s standing in the cellar and theres´no way of removing the router from there and the signal can´t come up to me. 3 concrete floors are just too much to get an usable signal.so I´m searching for a card or something else with that I can share my internet access in my room with my phone via WLAN. Does someone know such components?

HI guys,I´m having an iPhone now since some time and I mostly surf the net with it while flying greater distance. But this currently only goes over UMTS and it therefore somehow slow and will eat my bandwith. So I thought about adding a PCI card or something else to my computer/internet access which allows me wo make a WLAN network in my room. Normally I would use our router (which has a WLAN function) but it´s standing in the cellar and theres´no way of removing the router from there and the signal can´t come up to me. 3 concrete floors are just too much to get an usable signal.so I´m searching for a card or something else with that I can share my internet access in my room with my phone via WLAN. Does someone know such components?
HelloHere you go, there are many different makes of these.http://www.amazon.de/TP-Link-Starter-Netzwerk-Powerline-Steckdose/dp/B004D0ZRRE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1319145566&sr=8-5

What´s that? It´s no WLan.
Your router in the basement plugs into one of these, you plug the unit into a power socket in the basement.the other unit is plugged into a power socket in your room , you now have ethernet from the basement to your room, that is what you wanted to do wasnt it ?Saves on running cat5 through the building when your wireless connection lack range.And you do not have WLAN in your house, you may mean Wireless LanLAN = internalWLAN = your routers outward facing ports

Your router in the basement plugs into one of these, you plug the unit into a power socket in the basement.the other unit is plugged into a power socket in your room , you now have ethernet from the basement to your room, that is what you wanted to do wasnt it ?Saves on running cat5 through the building when your wireless connection lack range.And you do not have WLAN in your house, you may mean Wireless LanLAN = internalWLAN = your routers outward facing ports
Well, you misunderstood me. I´ve got internet in my room allready (how could I post without?) throught LAN and think of getting something which can make a small Wireless Lan network to get in the net with my iphone.Sorry if I haven´t stated that clearly enough. :smile:

Hello

Well, you misunderstood me. I´ve got internet in my room allready (how could I post without?) throught LAN and think of getting something which can make a small Wireless Lan network to get in the net with my iphone.Sorry if I haven´t stated that clearly enough. smile.png
Well, you misunderstood me. I´ve got internet in my room allready (how could I post without?) throught LAN and think of getting something which can make a small Wireless Lan network to get in the net with my iphone.Sorry if I haven´t stated that clearly enough. smile.png
So you have wired ethernet in your room which is delivered by cat5/6 cable from the router in the basement? Why not just buy a wireless router for your room and plug the cat5/6 cable into of its LAN ports (not the WLAN port)You will then just need to turn off DHCP in the second router http://www.infopackets.com/graphics/daisy+chain+2+routers.gif

Hello So you have wired ethernet in your room which is delivered by cat5/6 cable from the router in the basement? Why not just buy a wireless router for your room and plug the cat5/6 cable into of its LAN ports (not the WLAN port)You will then just need to turn off DHCP in the second router http://www.infopacke...n+2+routers.gif
Didn´t know that´s possible. If that´s possible I´ll do that. Thnaks. smile.png Is there something I should care for? Don´t want to spend a lot of money for that.

Hi guys,there are two router which I take into consideration:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320066&Tpk=ASUS%20RT-N10%2bD-LINK DIR-300

Some things to think about.1. If you have a modum in your basement hardwired to your room, than a wireless router in your room should work fine.B. If you have a wirless router in your basement hardwired to your room, than a wireless access point in your room is what you want.3. You can use a second router(I've done it), but your network will be better, stronger , faster with an access point.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Some things to think about.1. If you have a modum in your basement hardwired to your room, than a wireless router in your room should work fine.B. If you have a wirless router in your basement hardwired to your room, than a wireless access point in your room is what you want.3. You can use a second router(I've done it), but your network will be better, stronger , faster with an access point.
How´s that giong with an access point?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be confusing. You can hook two routers together. But they tend to broadcast on the same static addresses, and weaken the signal. In your case the routers may be far enough apart that that is not a problem. The company that makes the router you are looking at also make an access point. It's a little more expensive. Just depends on the equipment you have in the basement.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be confusing. You can hook two routers together. But they tend to broadcast on the same static addresses, and weaken the signal. In your case the routers may be far enough apart that that is not a problem. The company that makes the router you are looking at also make an access point. It's a little more expensive. Just depends on the equipment you have in the basement.
HelloThere is some configuration you need to take care of to prevent this, once done it all works wellbut an access point is probably the easier path to take.The benefit of using a second router is that if your old router goes down you have a plan BA good explanation of the steps to take is here:http://homecommunity...swer/td-p/47006

Well, the WLan from the router in the basement will be off and will only feed my hardwired PC with internet, so I don´t think I´ll be a big problem.

Well, the WLan from the router in the basement will be off and will only feed my hardwired PC with internet, so I don´t think I´ll be a big problem.
HelloIf the WLAN is off you have zero internet access, You may mean Wireless Lan, this is an important distinction.correct terminology is important because without it we cannot understand what you are trying to do.

HelloIf the WLAN is off you have zero internet access, You may mean Wireless Lan, this is an important distinction.correct terminology is important because without it we cannot understand what you are trying to do.
Thanks for clarification. I mean Wireless Lan of course. There in Germany the WLAN you´re refering to is called WAN and Wireless Lan WLAN. That explains the confusion here. :smile: Wireless Lan will be of on the router in the basement. So there shouldn´t be problem with a second one with Wireless Lan in my room.