Sign in to follow this  
TOM767

Finally a Fix for The Saitek Pro Flight Yoke Pitch Axis

By the way if you didn't knew, X-55 is not a yoke. I have Saitek Cyborg, I'm happy with it, but did you saw stick controls in Boeing or Cessna?

Lighten up. I simply poked a little fun, and I did purchase the best controller for "any aircraft in the simulator", emphasis on simulator, that can be purchased for under $200. What good is it to have a yoke if it is nearly impossible to land your aircraft? The Pro Flight Yoke is horribly designed internally and after reading this thread, I decided to not void my warranty and render this object unsellable, and go another route. btw The X-55 is fantastic!

James McLees

I have the Cessna Saitek Yoke (almost 2-years now) and hate the "spring-to-center" action and the large detent. It is very difficult adding small elevator inputs and trim on approach when the yoke wants to jump to center. When the modifications detailed at the beginning of this post, I thought I would be able to eliminate the problems. However, I soon discovered that the Cessna yoke was different enough that the mod could not be implemented effectively (the tabs where the springs are fastened with the tie-wraps are not present on the Cessna yoke). Disappointing. I just live with the fact I will porpoise somewhat on my final approaches unless I use the APR mode of the autopilot.

BTW - I had also purchased the GoFlight Yoke ($750) some months back only to return it. The bearing collar presented significant drag and there was still the presence of the auto-return to center issue. While GoFlight did offer to step me through a repair action, I declined and returned the product. Still a steep price even at today's price for a product that basically exhibits similar issues.

Don

I finished the surgery moments ago, and finally finished with all modifications. Took out the spring on the roll axis, added lot of silicon lubricant between the barings, and it seems very smooth now, except it doesn't back to the centre anymore, but who cares. Pitch axis is also smooth now when turning, case closed. No one spring on the pitch axis (one is still there), and no spring on the roll axis to avoid squeaking and small detents. Also the deadzone on the roll axis around centre is gone by removing the spring.

So it took me four attempts to fix all the faults inside. Saitek should sell this as a product with a fault, half price.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Is there a video on this? I keep looking, and I only see the finished result.

Also, what exactly do you mean by detents?

As far as I understand, detents are caused by sticky axis, means that you will not have a smooth movement of elevator and generally smooth response. You can test that in FSUIPC for example. If pitch axis is from 0 to 16384, a detent will cause a jump from 0 to 1564, and then from 1564 to 2487. My best way to explain this. :)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

After all these years I don't understand why saitek can't redesign the yoke so there is no dead zone.

If pitch axis is from 0 to 16384, a detent will cause a jump from 0 to 1564, and then from 1564 to 2487.

Interesting this! I have been using the Pro flight yoke since 2008, and haven't ever seen this in FSUIPC. My axis' range goes from -16384 to +16383, continuous, without any gap in the range. Now I'm curious as to what has changed.

Jazz

Nothing was changed I believe, potentiometers are the same. Hardware probably changed, and quality of production. Detents on the pitch axis are caused by combination of two things - tension of the springs, and friction between main yoke shaft and 4 plastic barings.

and friction between main yoke shaft and 4 plastic barings

Thanx Pe11e. It's this part that was throwing me off, as I do not have this issue (friction). I only have the centre detents of both axis'. Maybe, with mine being so old and worn, that it has smoothed out any rough edges. It would be nice if Saitek actually put some quality back into their products. it all went downhill after the sale to madcatz.

Jazz

Maybe, with mine being so old and worn, that it has smoothed out any rough edges.

Probably this :)

Did this mod yesterday using rubber bands because I couldn't find right springs. But WOW! Now the yoke feels like there's an aircraft attached to it! Bravo!

I have the Cessna Pro Flight Yoke too... Yeah, the internals are completely different, and it doesn't seem to have any detents. I tried the rubber band mod on the elevator axis, and it's only a slight improvement. It's not as jerky with full back pressure so landings are easier. My yoke was extremely lubed up when I opened it which seemed weird.

Rubber band mod lasted a week, until the pitch bands popped off (didn't break).

Since I had to open it anyway, I decided to do the spring mod. Ended up with both springs and a rubber band. And I used different end points.

I liked the feel of the rubber bands better. The resistance seemed more of a curve, springs seems more linear and stiffer (different springs would change that, of course).

I kept the rubber band for roll because, using the other location to attach the springs (green circles), there wasn't enough roll resistance. But the smaller springs didn't have a big enough loop on the end to go around the other posts (red circles). Tried bending one spring end open, but then it would pull off the post at full deflection.

Leaving the original roll spring with one end loose makes the mod easier, and doesn't get in the way.

Removing the arm on the left side, the one that originally had a top and bottom spring was key to removing the center notch. Left it in with one spring and the problem was still there, just not as severe. No need to disassemble the shaft to get at the lower spring, it comes off with needle-nose pliars.

Finding the springs took more time than disassembly, mod, and reassembly. Home Depot didn't have the right springs, so ended up at Ace Hardware.

Nothing difficult or tricky about it. Well, except getting the cable tie in and out of the spring with the same number of loops on both springs so they pull equally. Not hard, just takers some fiddling.

All in all, well worth the small effort. Now my yoke feels like it should (I've been a pilot for almost 50 years so I have a basis for judging).

Aperture.jpg

As far as I understand, detents are caused by sticky axis, means that you will not have a smooth movement of elevator and generally smooth response.

No, the center notchiness is caused by the arm ("remove arm" in image above) on the other side of the shaft from the arm that is attached to the pot ("keep arm"). Near as i can tell it's there specifically to create the notch!

I strongly recommend against leaving it in with just the bottom spring.

No, the center notchiness is caused by the arm ("remove arm" in image above) on the other side of the shaft from the arm that is attached to the pot ("keep arm"). Near as i can tell it's there specifically to create the notch!

I strongly recommend against leaving it in with just the bottom spring.

You were right! That arm was causing that ugly detent making me using elevator trim much more than the actual elevator. Now it feels much better after removing the arm, thank you for your little tutorial!

So, after operation and removing the left kidney and appendix, the patient feels so much better now. :Tounge:

• Upvote 1