Sign in to follow this  
ontheair

ROPS

what are those big bar devices installed on either side of the cockpit, one of them is located just over and behind the captain's left shoulder ? some kind of "arceau de sécurité" = roll over protective structure ? as I'm a bit "dubitatif" i would be glad to know

I have found myself wondering about those in the 737 many a time. Perhaps if you posted a pic the guys will get a better idea of what you are talking about.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

"Those that go along the #3 windows?" yes, one of these big bars (that look telescopic) goes along the last window that is just behind the captain's seat. It comes from the roof just below the eyebrow window and the other end is located in a hole close to the CB panel you can't miss it

I know you did.
Did you? But at Jason, how do you know what they are for? Not to question the real pilot, but maybe they have a duel purpose?

There is no dual purpose for them...except as a secondary headphone hanger when the pilot is lazy. When you open the window, it falls towards you, and then slides backwards at a slight upward angle...hence the upper guide rails. If the rails weren't there, what would keep the window in place as you are opening and closing it? Matt L

"They are the sliding window guides" Thanks very much for the info. BTW is there a way to open the captain window like in the Concorde X and the Maddog and I guess some others ones ? Just can't find the way to do that Another question : in the real life, is it possible/allowed to take off or to land with that window opened ? There should be a warning in such a case but does that make the take-off/landing more delicate/dangerous ?

Thanks very much for the info. BTW is there a way to open the captain window like in the Concorde X and the Maddog and I guess some others ones ? Just can't find the way to do that
I haven't found a way to do it, so don't think it is modeled.
Another question : in the real life, is it possible/allowed to take off or to land with that window opened ? There should be a warning in such a case but does that make the take-off/landing more delicate/dangerous ?
Sure it is possible. There is a YouTube video floating around of a -900 during testing where the window came open during t/o. Is it allowed? No, and I would imagine that it would be a major distraction during a very critical phase of flight. Think 140+ kt winds blowing and the noise it would make. Matt